Texture Alignment

Share your designing tips with other Designer's. Find answers to your problems using the APCD.
SLucey

Texture Alignment

Post by SLucey »

Silly question I know...but...
Up to this point, I never had any concerns with the direction a texture is laid down. I mean, who cares which way blades of grass are pointed, right?

Uh, it seems here, I now have to concern myself with the direction. Please see attached pic. If someone could be kind enough to explain how you manipulate the direction of faces so that the sea and the lava rock are properly aligned...I would be most grateful.
Problem.jpg
Problem.jpg (745.14 KiB) Viewed 2774 times
alarduran

Re: Texture Alignment

Post by alarduran »

Hi, SLucey.

Hope this screenshot helps:
Image1.jpg
Image1.jpg (59.87 KiB) Viewed 2750 times
SLucey

Post by SLucey »

Yea, Gizmo Rotate. Okay, but, how do you use the tool to achieve proper alignment. When I left-click mouse and drag all its doing is scaling the highlighted faces - which I don't want to do - its not rotating the faces.
alarduran

Post by alarduran »

Type in the Z box the angle you want to rotate. Positive values are anti-clockwise. Negative values are clockwise. Look this texture:
Image1.jpg
Image1.jpg (84.94 KiB) Viewed 2724 times
Now I rotated it 45 positive degrees:
Image2.jpg
Image2.jpg (105.6 KiB) Viewed 2724 times
If you tick the relative option, the value you type in the Z box adds to the existing angle. I mean, if you tick relative and type 10 positive degrees, the texture will be rotated 45+10=55 degrees from the original:
Image3.jpg
Image3.jpg (95.49 KiB) Viewed 2724 times
Danny D

Post by Danny D »

SLucey wrote: June 13th, 2020, 2:39 pm Silly question I know...but...
Up to this point, I never had any concerns with the direction a texture is laid down. I mean, who cares which way blades of grass are pointed, right?

Uh, it seems here, I now have to concern myself with the direction. Please see attached pic. If someone could be kind enough to explain how you manipulate the direction of faces so that the sea and the lava rock are properly aligned...I would be most grateful.

Problem.jpg
At a glance, it appears to me as if the texture in that box looks like a seam blend texture, made up of 2 different textures. If that's the case, it should be assigned as a PATH mapping, and then flipped so the dirt is against the shore and the surf is toward the water.

Dan
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
Fictitious Courses: Northern Lakes - Golfcom Tees
Southern Oaks - Hometown 9 hole real course with a fictitious back 9 added
SLucey

Post by SLucey »

Cha-ching! Thats what it was...I needed to PATH map it instead of PLANAR map it. Problem solved. Thanks guys.