Aussie course, Coomealla

Announce and discuss forthcoming and recent course releases or request beta help from members.
AJ Allen

Re: Aussie course, Coomealla

Post by AJ Allen »

Adelade wrote: May 26th, 2020, 4:05 pm Looking good :smile: Make sure to test if your treetops and 2D grasses allow the ball through rather than hard bounce, common problem with first designs.

I agree that the grid hides the course a bit, but also nice to see elevation work more clearly in an occasional screenshot at least. Only mentioning it because it was brought up already anyway.
AJ Allen wrote: May 26th, 2020, 12:44 pmand then an extra back tee.
I approve :thumbup:
Yesd, I have been very careful with trees grasses and so on, I discovered the ways to accidentally make "steel grass" on my practce designs! So with this, all grasses are set to pass thru, same with bushes, and trees have the solid area in the trunk up to where the tree starts to branch out. I spent a loooong time setting those up after I imported them. Planting one at a time in a row, setting the properties then updating the planting set.

I have to say, I have become a bit obsessed with APCD lately. Wife hardly sees me... maybe she thinks that's a good thing because she bought me a new laptop to do the work on. :laugh:

I think one of the hardest parts is creating a good matching texture set, getting colors working well together. Can't expect too much for my first course, but if it turns out well I defintely want to do more of the rural Aussie courses. Not so much the big well known ones, but some the smaller courses along the Murray River.

Cheers, AJ
Still Linksing

Post by Still Linksing »

Hi AJ,

Fellow Victorian here. :thumbup:

Course is looking great! If I can make one suggestion, kill the tree I have shown below. It's in several of the screenshots. Avoid clones as much as you can. It would be best for any trees you use more than once to not select a tree too distinctive as it will be really obvious your course has clones. I can see this tree very clearly immediately in 3 of the screens.

Many of the trees in Links are a bit of a mismatch on many courses. The tree I pointed out was photographed under very different lighting than many of the others. The whites have lost detail, it's high contrast and the entire tree has a green color cast. I wouldn't use it at all personally.

In the 3rd screen down, the big tree on the right looks a lot less sharp than many of the others. This is another thing I would look for. They should all look equally sharp or close too. It's another tree I would personally not use.

Just trying to give you some honest feedback as trees alone can make all the difference if I would keep a course or not.

Coomealla has a very Victorian feel and I've played quite a few real courses in Victoria. All the best with the rest of it. :cheers1:

c2.jpg
c2.jpg (559.93 KiB) Viewed 4896 times
For all the old golf games visit:
Golf Sim Clubhouse
AJ Allen

Post by AJ Allen »

I'm making really good progress with the course. new textures created, new planting set, and made a start on buildings. You can actually catch a glimpe of the clubhouse in a couple of the screenshots... not finished yet but probably passes as decent from a distance. So I have attached just a few pics from around the course.
Cheers, AJ
Attachments
ca5.jpg
ca5.jpg (303.43 KiB) Viewed 4818 times
ca4.jpg
ca4.jpg (291.83 KiB) Viewed 4818 times
ca3.jpg
ca3.jpg (317.67 KiB) Viewed 4818 times
ca2.jpg
ca2.jpg (327.49 KiB) Viewed 4818 times
ca1.jpg
ca1.jpg (346.13 KiB) Viewed 4818 times
Weeler

Post by Weeler »

For what it's worth, I definitely like what you've come up with so far. Colors and textures look nice, and once again, the course seems to have
an "Aussie" look to it, if there is such a thing. The riverboat adds a unique touch too. Looking forward to playing a round.
AJ Allen

Post by AJ Allen »

Weeler wrote: June 1st, 2020, 9:02 pm For what it's worth, I definitely like what you've come up with so far. Colors and textures look nice, and once again, the course seems to have
an "Aussie" look to it, if there is such a thing. The riverboat adds a unique touch too. Looking forward to playing a round.
Thanks for making a comment, it's appreciated :smile:

It's a shame that the Murray river isn't visible across most of the course, only on a few holes. !, 7 and 8, with possible view from 10, depending on where you are and which way you're facing. You can catch a glimpse from the #1 tee and around the first green . It's also visible from a short par3 that goes down towards the river.

There are a lot of the old paddle steamers on the Murray, as well as houseboats. It's not unusual to see them, and this one (the Rothbury) is based in the general area.

Cheers, AJ
Attachments
#7 green
#7 green
cu3.jpg (409.32 KiB) Viewed 4485 times
The first green
The first green
cu2.jpg (370.27 KiB) Viewed 4485 times
The first tee
The first tee
cu1.jpg (341.95 KiB) Viewed 4485 times
pmgolf

Post by pmgolf »

Really nice looking work, AJ!

Pete
sagevanni

Post by sagevanni »

Yes AJ.....very well done...!!!!!!

Sage..... :smile:
If there is one thing ................ummmmmmmm.......I can't remember.
AJ Allen

Post by AJ Allen »

Thanks guys! I hope to have it ready in a week or so. At least for testing anyway. Not sure of the process for that, as this is my first course and don't know if too many people would want to test out a course by a new designer. Hopefully, I can find one or two people that will. :tongue:

Cheers, AJ
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

AJ-it's the little extras...I don't think I've seen a practise putting green on one of our courses-am I right?
Also-a stream boat? Will there be any whistle?
I tried to look at the club website but I found some interesting pictures:

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1I7WQ ... 44&bih=704

Are any of them you? Also, I trust that there will be "roos" out there somewhere! If you take a look at that website there's a picture of two of them doing what kangaroos do-at the club! I hope it inspires you! :rofl: :rofl:
AJ Allen

Post by AJ Allen »

Jimbo wrote: June 4th, 2020, 3:09 am AJ-it's the little extras...I don't think I've seen a practise putting green on one of our courses-am I right?
Also-a stream boat? Will there be any whistle?
I tried to look at the club website but I found some interesting pictures:

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1I7WQ ... 44&bih=704

Are any of them you? Also, I trust that there will be "roos" out there somewhere! If you take a look at that website there's a picture of two of them doing what kangaroos do-at the club! I hope it inspires you! :rofl: :rofl:
I don't know if other courses have a putting green, but it seemed logical to put one in, even though people will only see it from a distance. There is also a big practice area at the top of the course, between the course and the road. Only way people will see any of the details of these things is if they play in practice mode and drop their balls there.

Thought about a whistle for the steam boat, and I might do that. Just have to set the timing long enough that you will only hear it very occasionally. Nothing annoys me more on a links course than having some repeating sound-file that plays over and over and over, while you are tring to line up a difficult putt :laugh:

And yes, there are roos. The course has a lot of them, semi tame so they might move out of your way, or they might not! I'm keeping them off the greens and fairways even though they will be on there IRL. Oh and nope, no pics of me, I'm not able to play these days due to health issues so Links2003 is my way of still swinging a club.

Cheers, AJ