Roads and paths opinions

Share your designing tips with other Designer's. Find answers to your problems using the APCD.
Stephen Sullivan

Re: Roads and paths opinions

Post by Stephen Sullivan »

Hmmmm, that might be useful for some of the "grass" paths I've spotted going through the deep grass. I assume you use alphas? Would you be okay with me using them for my paths?

The solid paths I have are these sort
Untitled-1.jpg
Untitled-1.jpg (311.01 KiB) Viewed 1637 times
Danny D

Post by Danny D »

Stephen Sullivan wrote: May 17th, 2020, 7:29 am Hmmmm, that might be useful for some of the "grass" paths I've spotted going through the deep grass. I assume you use alphas? Would you be okay with me using them for my paths?

Untitled-1.jpg
Sure Stephen. Give me some time and I'll get back to you.

Dan
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
Fictitious Courses: Northern Lakes - Golfcom Tees
Southern Oaks - Hometown 9 hole real course with a fictitious back 9 added
Danny D

Post by Danny D »

Stephen Sullivan wrote: May 17th, 2020, 7:29 am Hmmmm, that might be useful for some of the "grass" paths I've spotted going through the deep grass. I assume you use alphas? Would you be okay with me using them for my paths?

Untitled-1.jpg
Hi again Stephen. No, I did not use alphas to create those tracks. I took the rough texture to Photoshop and changed the color to make it look like muddy worn grass, and then I created seam blends to use for single tire tracks. Each tire track is made up on 2 seam blends placed back to back. Left wheel - inside and outside halves of the tire tracks, right wheel - inside and outside halves of the tire tracks. I flipped the textures in the path mappings so that the worn grass butted up against one another in the center of the track, and the outside edges of the track would blend into the normal rough. I like doing it that way because you can stretch and spread the tracks out and curve them in various directions to make it look like carts are spreading out in different directions. There are easier ways to do it, but I just prefer doing it like this.

Hope that helped,

Dan :cheers1:
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
Fictitious Courses: Northern Lakes - Golfcom Tees
Southern Oaks - Hometown 9 hole real course with a fictitious back 9 added