Pinehurst #8

Announce and discuss forthcoming and recent course releases or request beta help from members.
Danny D

Re: Pinehurst #8

Post by Danny D »

Obi Wan Kenobi wrote: May 8th, 2020, 9:38 pm Maybe it is not the right place for this but I know all designers pass through here so, would be great for me to start
planning and ordering my tries and ideas, if some of you could tell me the specs of the grass textures do you use in APCD, I mean
format, size, anything that help me to avoid incompatibilities and/or problems within APCD or links... Anyway and once again,
congratulations for give attemption to the details, that is massive and for such nice work!

Cheers and may the PNGs be with you! :thumbup:
We use 1024x1024 TGA textures. The outer edges must all match up when these textures are placed against one another. We avoid mismatched edges, or any textures that have places on them that cause them to give us that repeated TILING effect.

Hope that's what you were looking for. :tiphat:

Dan
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
Fictitious Courses: Northern Lakes - Golfcom Tees
Southern Oaks - Hometown 9 hole real course with a fictitious back 9 added
EJ55

Post by EJ55 »

Thanks all! Obi, Danny answered your question perfectly, I'd advise doing game testing because many times what looks good or great in your photo program doesn't necessarily look good in game, at least for me.

I do have some later touch ups to do with my textures but here they are as requested. I'm not a wizard and it takes me a lot of trial and error to get to this point, I plan on using them for other courses of mine although modified to fit the location.

Enjoy! and Happy Mothers Day to your wives, daughters and moms!
sodbuster

Post by sodbuster »

Beautiful textures Eddie! To me that's the most difficult part of designing in APCD.
dorse72

Post by dorse72 »

thanks Eddie, they look great. Glad your back at it, can't wait for #8
bmumma

Post by bmumma »

Those textures look incredible! Excited to see this course!
Obi Wan Kenobi

Post by Obi Wan Kenobi »

Danny D wrote: May 9th, 2020, 3:46 am
Obi Wan Kenobi wrote: May 8th, 2020, 9:38 pm Maybe it is not the right place for this but I know all designers pass through here so, would be great for me to start
planning and ordering my tries and ideas, if some of you could tell me the specs of the grass textures do you use in APCD, I mean
format, size, anything that help me to avoid incompatibilities and/or problems within APCD or links... Anyway and once again,
congratulations for give attemption to the details, that is massive and for such nice work!

Cheers and may the PNGs be with you! :thumbup:
We use 1024x1024 TGA textures. The outer edges must all match up when these textures are placed against one another. We avoid mismatched edges, or any textures that have places on them that cause them to give us that repeated TILING effect.

Hope that's what you were looking for. :tiphat:

Dan
Thanks you Master Dan!
That's the info i've been looking for to start the experimentation!

Hope to have news soon! Cheers! :whistle:

PS: EJ55, once again, amazingly beautiful textures!!!!!!!! I'm still didn't saw your courses but starting from this textures
I saw, well i'm already anxious!

Keep that talented work up please! :notworthy: :thumbup:
"Was it love, or was it the idea of being in love?
or was it the hand of fate that seemed to fit just like a glove?"
EJ55

Post by EJ55 »

Obi Wan Kenobi wrote: May 14th, 2020, 4:20 am

PS: EJ55, once again, amazingly beautiful textures!!!!!!!! I'm still didn't saw your courses but starting from this textures
I saw, well i'm already anxious!

Keep that talented work up please! :notworthy: :thumbup:
Thanks all for your kindness, Obi I do have a number of courses available on this site if you'd like to play them.

My available time in APCD has been sporadic but I have put some time to get where I'm at now so I'll give an update.

I'm remaking the Panorama and am currently around 75% complete.

In hindsight I should have kept the course planted and updated, resized and moved the trees, but I've still putting together the planting set. I hope to start putting trees down late next week.

I have the first 3 greens sloped and shapes are complete throughout the first 3 holes minus a some extra pine needles.

I've been running tests on different textures, a brownish grass. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder but I feel I finally arrived with a wonderful waste sand texture (see near storage shed) I had to get creative to get to this point and have been running tests with pine needles on it, I'm thinking I may have 3 different waste sands with pine needles and a couple pine needles textures depending on how it looks in game, my tests so far have been encouraging enough with those textures to keep moving forward.

I feel the amazing thing with this program is here we are 20 years in and people are still doing new/ different things.

Nothing really special here , I'm just giving an update of where I'm at.

There are also 5 maintenance and/or storage buildings to the right of hole 3 well into the forest and I have all of them built off plot. I'll show a small shed I put in place and give an idea of how I go about 3D building to keep those ugly dark or light shadows when three sharp edges intersect. The building is basic and in two parts the roof and building. The roof is placed on top of the building to give it some additional detail and both the roof and top of the building have the same texture and mapping. You'll see three verts at the edges which are put in place to prevent very dark or light shadows.

Edit for Hole Prevues, completed this morning.

Many Blessings & Enjoy friends!
EJ55

Post by EJ55 »

Wow, it's almost been a month since I made my last update already.

That golden brown ring around the bunker is a place holder and haven't obviously underplanted the trees but I do have a general idea of what I want to achieve. I was able to put together a mixed pine needles and waste sand texture and I like the way it looks, (not shown) and will use it sporadically and may add one more.

Course stats so far... I hand planted those 2d objects consisting entirely of trees and stretch in the areas from hole 13 to hole 3.
IIRC I had upwards of 1800 mappings before I had to go back to the old file, when this is done 2000 mappings will be in the rear view easily.
I'm at 81 textures but it doesn't seem like I have that many, given that number I should approach 100 if not more in the future.

At any rate, my next picture will be a shot of number two with underplanting when I arrive at that point which might require some time given my schedule this month.

Many blessings and have fun!
72Animal

Post by 72Animal »

Those numbers of mappings and textures stagger me! Thanks for all your courses Eddie, from Pine 8 on back! I've been toying with the revised version of Pinehurst #4 on my APCD.
Stephen Sullivan

Post by Stephen Sullivan »

Amazing Eddie :notworthy:

I salute all designers doing real courses. I've done interpretations of real courses, including the current one I'm working on, but enjoyed working on the Lenton courses, and Kapu Moku far more :pcwhack: