Identifying Textures

Share your designing tips with other Designer's. Find answers to your problems using the APCD.
pmgolf

Identifying Textures

Post by pmgolf »

APCD Rookie questions: Is there any way to tell what fairway or green texture file was used on an unlocked course?

2nd: Hi-def texture - 3 mb file size ok? Thanks.

Pete
Danny D

Re: Identifying Textures

Post by Danny D »

pmgolf wrote: March 14th, 2020, 1:01 pm APCD Rookie questions: Is there any way to tell what fairway or green texture file was used on an unlocked course?

Pete
You can find out the file names by using the Links Extender. See if this tells you what you want to know. Here's a pointer example I gave to Titus to explain to him how to locate a texture so it could be edited. Try it...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nyfqb5vof3g9i ... s.doc?dl=0

Dan
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
Fictitious Courses: Northern Lakes - Golfcom Tees
Southern Oaks - Hometown 9 hole real course with a fictitious back 9 added
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

Dan shows it perfectly. I would also like to add a recommendation to press the "Medium" and "Far" sections just to check if a texture has middle and far versions (some do, some dont). If only changing the look of the near one and not realizing there is a middle one assigned then things will look odd in the game.

When editing textures, in case there is a middle version you need to do either of these 3 things to make it look good:
a) Delete the middle texture to leave it blank. This is likely to result in the texture "tiling" visual effect in the distance to some extent and possibly rendering speeds between shots becoming a tiny bit slower (probably not noticeable if its only one texture and not used over large areas)
b) Make the exact same changes to the mid texture that you made to the near texture.
c) Remake the mid texture on your own, I think Lez talked about how to in one of his videos.

Same goes for far textures but they're even less commonly used or needed, in most cases should be quite safe to leave blank.

1024x1024 textures are 3 MB if they are 24bit and contain no alpha channel (textures within Links cant take advantage of alpha channels anyway- except for those assigned as alpha textures in seam blends), but for some reason APCD (or perhaps its only Links Extender - I forgot) seems to turn them into 32bit regardless so they are always 4MB when extracted if 1024x1024 in my experience.
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
Danny D

Post by Danny D »

pmgolf wrote: March 14th, 2020, 1:01 pm APCD Rookie questions: Is there any way to tell what fairway or green texture file was used on an unlocked course?

Pete
Hi Pete. You might want to copy these for future reference. Sooner or later you will need them.

IMAGE SIZES FOR APCD

Panorama: 7680x720 32 bit TGA w/alpha channel
Splash screen: 1280x1024 Jpeg
Logo or Cameo: 256x256 24 bit TGA
Flag: 32x32 32 bit TGA w/alpha channel
Tees: 32x32 32 bit TGA w/alpha channel
Textures: 1024x1024 24 bit TGA (exception, textures can be any size as long as they are a
power of 2, i.e. 64x128, 256x64, etc.) It’s not recommended that you go over
1024x1024 though.
2D objects: 1024x1024 (max size) 32 bit TGA w/alpha channels
Lie Icon: 128x50 24bit TGA
Hole Preview: 298x500 Jpeg
Course Overlay: 4096x4096
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
Fictitious Courses: Northern Lakes - Golfcom Tees
Southern Oaks - Hometown 9 hole real course with a fictitious back 9 added
Duck Hook

Post by Duck Hook »

Danny D wrote: March 15th, 2020, 3:29 am
IMAGE SIZES FOR APCD

Panorama: 7680x720 32 bit TGA w/alpha channel
Splash screen: 1280x1024 Jpeg
Logo or Cameo: 256x256 24 bit TGA
Flag: 32x32 32 bit TGA w/alpha channel
Tees: 32x32 32 bit TGA w/alpha channel
Textures: 1024x1024 24 bit TGA (exception, textures can be any size as long as they are a
power of 2, i.e. 64x128, 256x64, etc.) It’s not recommended that you go over
1024x1024 though.
2D objects: 1024x1024 (max size) 32 bit TGA w/alpha channels
Lie Icon: 128x50 24bit TGA
Hole Preview: 298x500 Jpeg
Course Overlay: 4096x4096
Thanks for posting Dan, I always forget these.... :thumbup:
Weeler

Post by Weeler »

This is a very timely topic for me. I've been "dabbling" with the APCD for awhile now, and I came up with an issue concerning textures. I was
trying something on a completed "unlocked" course ( just for my purposes, not to re- release to LC or anything ). Anyhow , I wanted to change the
existing green texture. I located the type I wanted to use, and just tried it on the first hole. In the process, I ended up creating this anomaly
somehow. It's a fair sized triangle in the middle of the green, that has printing on it that says "underground". When I try to putt through it, the ball
actually drops out of sight as if to go into the "underground", but pops up again on the other side. It is really weird. I sure hope some of you guys
have encountered this before.
Anyhow.....bottom line for me is: How do I get rid of this thing and end up with a nice putting surface. Tried using "delete", but it looked like
it was going to eliminate the entire green, so I did an "undo". All the rest of the holes took the new green texture perfectly. Any help with this would
be very welcome. Thanks.
sagevanni

Post by sagevanni »

Show us a picture of it...............

Sage...... :smile:
If there is one thing ................ummmmmmmm.......I can't remember.
Weeler

Post by Weeler »

Hey guys.....since I failed to upload a screenshot to LC, I ended up taking this offline with Sage via email. He gave me a suggestion that I'll try
tomorrow. Thanks.
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

In case you get it sorted you can ignore this post, although I'd be pretty curious to find out what the problem was.

What intrigues me most is how the ball seems to act as if there still is a green surface there and rolling past it instead of dropping down and out of bounds. The "underground" texture is there for all courses as far as I know and simply not visible normally because of the ground and/or panorama covering it up. Does the "hole" show up in APCD?

If yes - can you select the area in the "face" or "surface" menu and apply the texture you want? If not able to select the area as a face at all, you probably need to use the Create Face tool (Terrain > Face > Create), after selecting it turn on verts showing on the top view and click on the 3 verts surrounding the "hole" (need to make sure to click accurately on them, if it looks strange afterwards undo and try again) then apply appropriate texture. The ball rolling through the area and coming out on the other side seems to hint that this might not be the problem though... so Im not sure...
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
sagevanni

Post by sagevanni »

Ron Weeler asked me to tell you all I fixed his error on the course he is modifying.

if you watch this Lez video at about 5:25 in it shows what happened to Ron.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxUDZMEeF8U

Ron somehow deleted a single face and did not know how to fix it. I had him send me the course and I fixed it for him.....

This APCD is a learning experience. I have worked with computer aided drawing ( CAD ) programs half my life and can figure them out pretty fast, but even APCD was and is a challenge for me.........So I get the frustration...!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good luck Ron.......

Sage...... :smile:
If there is one thing ................ummmmmmmm.......I can't remember.