Meter moving very fast after new graphics card

Having hardware or software problems related to Links? Other forum members may be able to help you here.
alfienoakes

Meter moving very fast after new graphics card

Post by alfienoakes »

Hi
I am sure before I changed graphics card the 3 click meter was running fine.
I installed a GTX 960 card - it is crazy fast and unplayable, I re-installed links, the 1.07 patch and the nvidia patch to no avail.
Looked at the videocard.txt file but I don't understand how to edit it. I got the card so I could play Perfect Golf but seems to have broken links.

I would appreciate any advice.
alfienoakes

Re: Meter moving very fast after new graphics card

Post by alfienoakes »

Had another go and it doesn't seem as bad - maybe its just me.
If anyone has the details for editing the videocard txt file, it would be much appreciated.
Danny D

Post by Danny D »

alfienoakes wrote: March 21st, 2020, 8:28 am Had another go and it doesn't seem as bad - maybe its just me.
If anyone has the details for editing the videocard txt file, it would be much appreciated.
If everything is working graphically in Links, there should be no need to edit the videocard.txt file. In all the years I've been playing Links, I have never had to edit mine. I don't know how either. :dunno:

Dan
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
Fictitious Courses: Northern Lakes - Golfcom Tees
Southern Oaks - Hometown 9 hole real course with a fictitious back 9 added
alfienoakes

Post by alfienoakes »

Thanks Dan, everything looks good.
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

What is your frame rate in game? You can check during play at Menu > Preferences > Golfer Settings "Show Frame Rate" then it shows up at bottom left of screen. Even if it turns out to not be crazy high, perhaps you can decrease it a slight bit to get closer to meter speeds you are used to by cranking up graphics in various ways such as increasing resolution, settings inside Nvidia control panel, and making sure the graphics slider within Links is set to highest.
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
dick burt

Post by dick burt »

I've never investigated frame rate before.
I'm running between 30-34.
Is that a good rate?
Thanks,
D I C K
alfienoakes

Post by alfienoakes »

My frame rate is also 30-34
Captain Nemo

Post by Captain Nemo »

Sorry this is not helpful, but after win 98 ( Links 2001), and switching to XP (Links 2003( my swing meter @ anything above Pro was a blur. Not upset about it, but all I got here at the time (when posting about it) was ridicule. : "You suck as a virtual golfer. Better get used to it!". Just one several rude comments I encountered. So I ended up playing Pro for many years. Amazingly with Windows 10 (thanks to many helpful posts here) I finally got Links up and running again, and low and behold on my 28" monitor the swing meter is huge and very slow (it seems) so I guess what goes around comes around. Oh, and don't bother to tell me how to fix the slow swing meter. I'm not interested. :smile: :cheers1:
I always wanted to write something intelligent in my signature. Now that I think about it, I guess I just did! :clapping: :smile:
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

As far as I know 30-34 fps is normal yeah, Im not even entirely sure the displayed frame rate in game DOES affect the swing meter but I strongly assume so, it just makes sense for it to be that way. Sometimes when my computer has been doing some heavy background processes that subtly made the swing meter laggy however, I remember thinking it was weird that my displayed frame rate didnt show any lower than usual. The overall speed might be the same when I experience lags and it simply looking choppier or less smooth so to speak. Im not sure. I only brought it up because I wondered if you perhaps had some uncapped fps Nvidia function or something and seeing 60+ fps.
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...