Placing and/or moving pins

Share your designing tips with other Designer's. Find answers to your problems using the APCD.
pmgolf

Placing and/or moving pins

Post by pmgolf »

Danny, any chance you could do a guide for placing or moving pins on an existing unlocked course for someone just learning how to use the APCD? There are courses with just one or maybe two holes that are unplayable with Challenging conditions that could be made playable with just 3 or 4 usable pin positions on those particular holes. With instructions as clear as the ones you did for seam blending, I might stand a chance of being able to learn to use the APCD well enough to be able to do it. What do you think?

Pete
Danny D

Re: Placing and/or moving pins

Post by Danny D »

pmgolf wrote: August 31st, 2019, 12:45 pm Danny, any chance you could do a guide for placing or moving pins on an existing unlocked course for someone just learning how to use the APCD? There are courses with just one or maybe two holes that are unplayable with Challenging conditions that could be made playable with just 3 or 4 usable pin positions on those particular holes. With instructions as clear as the ones you did for seam blending, I might stand a chance of being able to learn to use the APCD well enough to be able to do it. What do you think?

Pete
Sure Pete. Be glad to. Give me some time to put something together and I'll see if I can help you... I'll get back to you when I finish.

Dan
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
Fictitious Courses: Northern Lakes - Golfcom Tees
Southern Oaks - Hometown 9 hole real course with a fictitious back 9 added
Stephen Sullivan

Post by Stephen Sullivan »

I always used a numbered grid texture TGA created from the attached JPG in conjunction with a table for all the holes to set and amend the pins on my course. It takes a bit of time as it means rescaling the texture on the greens, but it makes for better pin positions in my opinion. Cannot remember who originally posted the idea on the old forum, but I Found it extremely useful.
pin planting.jpg
pin planting.jpg (270.36 KiB) Viewed 6842 times
Attachments
Pin Setting Grid.zip
(15.76 KiB) Downloaded 230 times
Danny D

Post by Danny D »

pmgolf wrote: August 31st, 2019, 12:45 pm Danny, any chance you could do a guide for placing or moving pins on an existing unlocked course for someone just learning how to use the APCD? There are courses with just one or maybe two holes that are unplayable with Challenging conditions that could be made playable with just 3 or 4 usable pin positions on those particular holes. With instructions as clear as the ones you did for seam blending, I might stand a chance of being able to learn to use the APCD well enough to be able to do it. What do you think?

Pete
Hi Pete...

Thanks for your patience. Here's some simple video instructions that may help you out. If you have any further questions, just ask.
Setting Pins in the APCD - https://youtu.be/GmNsDEdbF6k

A couple of things I thought of. After I finished uploading this video, I test-watched it and discovered I made a minor error. When I mentioned how to zoom in & out with the mouse, I said to use the mouse "button". Correction on that. I meant to say to use the mouse "wheel" to zoom in and out.

Another thing is... Any course that you want to change, you need to save a backup of the original course first. Next, place the course you want to edit in your Links2003/Course folder, and make absolutely certain that there are no other copies of the same course in the folder with it. Then, when you open the APCD, browse to your Links course folder to find the course file that you want to edit. Doing it that way keeps you from having to move the edited course into the Links folder every time you want to test it.

I don't know what your actual plans are, but I would suggest that once you make permanent changes to any course, that you either send your new completed "finalized" copy to Links Corner for everyone to re-download, OR, send it to only the players that will be using it in a tournament, and have them remove the original course temporarily while they use your newly edited course for a match. What you need to avoid is allowing multiple versions of a course to start circulating among the public.

Hope this helps, and good luck,

Dan
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
Duck Hook

Post by Duck Hook »

Stephen Sullivan wrote: September 1st, 2019, 12:04 pm I always used a numbered grid texture TGA created from the attached JPG in conjunction with a table for all the holes to set and amend the pins on my course. It takes a bit of time as it means rescaling the texture on the greens, but it makes for better pin positions in my opinion. Cannot remember who originally posted the idea on the old forum, but I Found it extremely useful.pin planting.jpg
Yeah, I use this too. Makes keeping track of Pins while testing a hell of a lot easier.
sagevanni

Post by sagevanni »

Pin position should be whatever the green dictates.............

Sage....... :yes:
If there is one thing ................ummmmmmmm.......I can't remember.
pmgolf

Post by pmgolf »

sagevanni wrote: September 2nd, 2019, 1:37 pm Pin position should be whatever the green dictates.............

Sage.......
True, Sage. You can't put a pin on the Tee. But you can put a pin on a bad place on the green - and some designers get in a hurry when that time comes. This is for them! Look at the pins on "Le Golf National Version 2"! :nono:

Danny - I watched the video and it's exactly what I was looking for - and great job doing it, but the way! Many thanks.

Pete
Danny D

Post by Danny D »

pmgolf wrote: September 2nd, 2019, 2:30 pm Danny - I watched the video and it's exactly what I was looking for - and great job doing it, but the way! Many thanks.

Pete
You're welcome Pete. Glad it helped. :tiphat:

Dan
Completed Courses
Danny D

Post by Danny D »

pmgolf wrote: September 2nd, 2019, 2:30 pm Danny - I watched the video and it's exactly what I was looking for - and great job doing it, but the way! Many thanks.

Pete
Hi Pete... Something I forgot to mention in that video was how to tell which pin is which. I'll show you here...

Note that when you select the MOVE tool, there's no indication of what pin you're working with. To find out what pin number and difficulty level it is, first you must select a pin with the either the "SELECT PIN" or the "MOVE" tool. Once a pin is selected (highlighted red), click on the PLANT icon. The boxes that open up below it on the left will show you the pin number and difficulty level. If you want to change the difficulty level, then you must manually change it there in that menu. I believe the difficulty level is what tells Links which pin groups it will place them in when you select the difficulty levels in a game. So if you want to change any of those levels, that's the place to do it. When I create a course, I select 6 pins in each of the 3 levels. I don't honestly know how many pins can be added to one level. I've never played around with that. Perhaps someone else can tell you. Also, DO NOT attempt to select a different pin while you have the PLANT tool selected. Doing so will plant a new pin. Or you'll get a message that the pins are full up and no more can be added. To change to a different pin, select the "SELECT PIN" or the "MOVE" tool first, then select a pin, and then click on "PLANT" to view or change settings. Just remember that if you accidentally do something, you can undo it quickly either by using the EDIT and UNDO function on the top menu bar, or you can simply press CTRL+Z.

That should help.

Dan
Attachments
plant pins.jpg
plant pins.jpg (288.74 KiB) Viewed 6718 times
Completed Courses
pmgolf

Post by pmgolf »

Saved to Word! Thanks, Danny! :clapping:

Pete