New links install- player file issue

Having hardware or software problems related to Links? Other forum members may be able to help you here.
ragamuffin

New links install- player file issue

Post by ragamuffin »

Good day everyone,

I recently had to get a new computer (HP pavillion all-in one) running Win 10. I've reinstalled Links 2003 as well as the 1.05, 1.07 patches. I installed in C:\Links 2003 vs the default path. This machine has an AMD Radeon Vega 8 graphics card. I edited the registry to get full screen resolution; the game runs fine and look good.

The install also created a Links folder in the Documents folder and this has the Career, recorded players, saved games etc.

Here's where I need some advice. I copied my player files and saved games over to this folder from the same folder on my old machine. I can't see my player listed when you want to add to a game. Also can't see my player listed in the edit player screen or stats screen. I had also copied all the pro polyanis that I had into the game polyani folder and I cant see any of them either. I can only see the players that were installed by default. Interesting that, after installing a course I was able to resume the saved game that I had in progress that I had copied over.

As a side note, I had copied a bunch of skis into the new skis folder, sound scripts into the main folder and they are all visible and work fine.

Any ideas on what my issue might be with the player and polyani files?

Thanks for any help,

Steve
Adelade

Re: New links install- player file issue

Post by Adelade »

Im not too sure but arent the .l3 files for players simply player models that can be turned into players with "Create Player"? Not sure if the .PIN player files inside C:\ProgramData\Links 2003\Players (ProgramData is a hidden folder) contain player info beyond stats but worth trying copying over those if you're able to. And yes it is indeed quite a mess of files and file locations to keep track of :bookh:
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
ragamuffin

Post by ragamuffin »

Adelade,

That was the answer! Of all the folders I was looking at, that was the one I missed. Once I simply copied the folder contents from my old machine to the new, I have all my player files, polyanis and stats...I'm back in business!

Thanks so much for your help.

Steve
ragamuffin

Post by ragamuffin »

Hi folks,

I have another question about my Links install. As I mentioned in my earlier post, I installed the 1.05 and 1.07 patches. When I go to practice, I don't have the challenging green conditions to pick from. They're only available if I start a new round. Is there another patch I should have installed?

Thanks,

Steve
pmgolf

Post by pmgolf »

I've never installed the 1.05 patch. I installed the original download and the 1.07 patch, then the nVidia patch (regardless of which video card you have) to enable widescreen. When setting up a round, challenging conditions were listed among the other conditions. Player files were located inside the /Players/ folder, inside the /Links 2003/ folder, inside the /ProgramData/ folder. c:/ProgramData/Links 2003/Players/ /ProgramData may be a hidden folder. Also you MUST run links "As an Administrator".

Pete
ragamuffin

Post by ragamuffin »

Hi Pete,

I re-installed Links with just the 1.07 and nividia patches and am running as admin. Still have same issue so I must be missing something from one of the various patches that have come out. I can select from the challenging green conditions when setting up a new round, but not in practice mode.

I know there was a 1.05 and I think a 1.06 then the 1.07 as well as career mode fix and a Links extender...so not sure if there were any other ones.

Anyone have any other ideas?

Thanks,

Steve
ragamuffin

Post by ragamuffin »

It's fixed...I just had to scroll for the challenging settings in practice mode...lol..don't know what I was thinking...any way I'm up and running.

Thanks for your help. :cheers1:

Steve