Links on Windows 7 Ultimate x64?

For all topics about the playing of Links, such as Swing Types etc.
Obi Wan Kenobi

Links on Windows 7 Ultimate x64?

Post by Obi Wan Kenobi »

Hi there averyone!

I'm getting more than closer to a major PC update; I mean, motherboard + CPU + RAM... And that supposed I'll need to move from my actual
Windows 7 Home Premum x86 to an x64 OS to apply all it grasp. I'm pritty sure that i'll go for Windows 7 Ultimate x64, so I wanted any inputs
about this SO and of course any info about known issue running links on there...
I don't really want to do anything that could affect the normal functioning of links so far and to be honest, after years using Win7 i'm pritty
happy with it and have not much interest to Windows 10 at all, and more after reading some of your comments about it and L2K3...

Any comments, suggests, info or whatever would it will be very appreciated!
And as usual sorry for my english i'm a natural spanish talker trying to do my best...

Cheers and thanks in advance!
:tiphat:
"Was it love, or was it the idea of being in love?
or was it the hand of fate that seemed to fit just like a glove?"
pmgolf

Re: Links on Windows 7 Ultimate x64?

Post by pmgolf »

Excellent English, Obi. Reading your post, I had no idea you were Spanish.

I just build my desktop PC - AMD processor (Ryzen 5 2600) and AMD motherboard (x-470), but with a nVidia GTX 1050 Ti videocard. I planned on having a dual-boot computer - Windows 7 and 10 - but after getting everything working, Windows Update locked up my Windows 7 and wound up corrupting it. Call me paranoid, but I swear I think it was intentional. Microsoft did everything they could to discourage me from using Windows 7. In the end, I decided to keep my old desktop as backup to the new one. The old PC has Windows 7.

My new PC works great and it's fast. Intel has switched to onboard graphics on their motherboards, but AMD didn't. I read many posts about guys who had problems because of onboard graphics, and that's what drove my decision. Links runs great - not the slightest problem. Because of my experience, I would recommend that you check out AMD, even if you get a laptop. And if you wind up getting Windows 10, make sure you get Windows 10 PRO. Good luck!

Pete
Obi Wan Kenobi

Post by Obi Wan Kenobi »

pmgolf wrote: March 17th, 2020, 11:34 pm Excellent English, Obi. Reading your post, I had no idea you were Spanish.

I just build my desktop PC - AMD processor (Ryzen 5 2600) and AMD motherboard (x-470), but with a nVidia GTX 1050 Ti videocard. I planned on having a dual-boot computer - Windows 7 and 10 - but after getting everything working, Windows Update locked up my Windows 7 and wound up corrupting it. Call me paranoid, but I swear I think it was intentional. Microsoft did everything they could to discourage me from using Windows 7. In the end, I decided to keep my old desktop as backup to the new one. The old PC has Windows 7.

My new PC works great and it's fast. Intel has switched to onboard graphics on their motherboards, but AMD didn't. I read many posts about guys who had problems because of onboard graphics, and that's what drove my decision. Links runs great - not the slightest problem. Because of my experience, I would recommend that you check out AMD, even if you get a laptop. And if you wind up getting Windows 10, make sure you get Windows 10 PRO. Good luck!

Pete
Thank you very much Pete for your compliments about my english, you just made my day about it lol! (Serious!) :notworthy:

Well, I've had used all my life Intel CPU's and ASUS MoBos, so by so many years of dealing with them even though
i'm still didn't bought or decided about models and/or brands of the new components, I would guess that there's
chances that I end up going that way (Intel, Asus). But anyway, i'm here just to read other's experiences like yours
and use that to make THE new great desicion...

Now, it's strange what you jast commented about your locked Win7, since yesterday (yes, yesterday) I've installed
new updates from Windows Update, and this is the second tim I've received updates after the "supossedly" end
of it support... Do you have registered both OS with the same user/serial key? Maybe that could be the reason fot
that...
pmgolf

Post by pmgolf »

No, different keys, but i turned off updates on my Windows 7 backup computer. 2 updates kept on failing and I no longer trust Microsoft!

Pete
Still Linksing

Post by Still Linksing »

Win 7 64 bit is great. Just make sure whatever CPU and motherboard you buy has Win 7 support. GPU's shouldn't be a problem. The last Intel supported CPU's were Gen 6. Motherboards vary for Win 7 support. Some are Win 10 only now, some still support Win 7. It's getting harder to build a decent Win 7 PC with new components. Only reason mine has Win 10 running on it, the hardware I have isn't Win 7 supported. And yes, I totally hate Win 10.

I just looked at the ASUS Z390 motherboard. Win 10 only. I think you will find that's the common story. For a motherboard to support a Gen 6 CPU, I think you'll also find it probably doesn't exist as neither do new sales of Gen 6 CPU's. They are discontinued now. You shop around hard enough you should still find new stuff. I built a Win XP PC from new components. Must admit though, there is very little in the way of choice unless you want to overpay for hardware by ridiculous amounts.
For all the old golf games visit:
Golf Sim Clubhouse
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

Hi Obi:

I have a Windows 10 laptop as my new "main" computer but kept my old Windows 7 desktop for "our favourite sport".
Go Barcelona!
Obi Wan Kenobi

Post by Obi Wan Kenobi »

Thanks guys for all that info... Now i'm stuck! I've didn't awared about that matter of the win 7 support... I've just thought to buy the new
components, assembling and after that, thought that almost any OS should be run fine there... Looks like the process would be much harder
than I suspect... Maybe the positive side is that here there's not te very new components, they tend to come a little delayed, maybe that
helps to get anything supported by win 7. I've been in all microsoft's OS since the 90's until these days, and in my experience win 7 was the
most strong and stabile, followed by XP... I remember that I also kept XP for so many years after it death, and finally move to win 7 (actual)
when my old pc burned away... I also dislike so much win 10!
Anyway, let's see what I can find, probably i'll be here commenting about the potential new hardware to get your thoughts!

Once again, thats for taking the time to answer guys! May the Links be with you! :yes:
FOOOOORE!

Post by FOOOOORE! »

Still Linksing wrote: March 18th, 2020, 3:51 am And yes, I totally hate Win 10.
I hesitated to switch from Win 7 to 10, but after modifying its behavior with things like Winaero Tweaker, Classic Shell, and Start Is Back, I have no qualms about using Win 10; it now has all the things I liked about Win 7, and all the annoying crap is turned off (Cortana, and all those green, blue and purple panels, for example).
FOOOOORE!

Post by FOOOOORE! »

Obi, something to keep in mind:

"Microsoft has announced that on January 14, 2020, support for Windows 7 will end. Microsoft technical support and automatic updates will end on this date, and platform updates for Microsoft Security Essentials will cease as well."
Danny D

Post by Danny D »

FOOOOORE! wrote: July 6th, 2020, 2:02 am Obi, something to keep in mind:

"Microsoft has announced that on January 14, 2020, support for Windows 7 will end. Microsoft technical support and automatic updates will end on this date, and platform updates for Microsoft Security Essentials will cease as well."
Apparently support hasn't TOTALLY ended. 3 days ago I received a Microsoft update for Windows 7 which updated my IE browser to the new EDGE browser. I still don't use any MS browsers. I've been happy with Firefox. I have never installed Win 10 on any of my 3 desktop machines, except for the Laptop that my wife uses. So far I have no complaints on her laptop. She even plays several old games from back in the pre XP era, and they all seem to work just fine. (knock on wood) :smile:

Dan
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
Fictitious Courses: Northern Lakes - Golfcom Tees
Southern Oaks - Hometown 9 hole real course with a fictitious back 9 added