Links 2003 Crash During a Round

Having hardware or software problems related to Links? Other forum members may be able to help you here.
1PuttJeff

Links 2003 Crash During a Round

Post by 1PuttJeff »

I have noticed sometimes that while playing Links 2003, the game will momentarily crash with the monitor tuning black and it takes me back to the main boot-up page. Once this happens, I can resume play by clicking on the Links 2003 screen icon and the game will play normally after that. Has this ever happened to anyone else while playing the game and why would the game crash like that? I don't think it is probably anything serious, but it is kind of annoying. :helpsmilie:

Jeff
Still Linksing

Re: Links 2003 Crash During a Round

Post by Still Linksing »

Do you mean it is minimizing to desktop? When you click the icon in the taskbar you can continue? What operating system are you using?
For all the old golf games visit:
Golf Sim Clubhouse
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

And do you play full screen mode or not?
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
Captain Nemo

Post by Captain Nemo »

My experience over the years (playing since 2006) on 3 PC's via 7 different Windows Operating Systems, has been Links will sometimes crash (I have always used full screen mode). In 90% of those cases it was to the desktop and in 10% I got a black screen of death. Regardless of the crash mode, when restarting Links I always got the "Links has determined that your game was terminated irregularly - would you like to continue your game YES/NO" message. YES has always taken me back to the shot I was making before the crash and the game has moved on from there without problems. This particular feature has always impressed me, and I can only wish that other games I play had a this feature. I play a Racing game (Asphalt 9) and when it crashes (which is often) I lose fuel tickets/coins and tokens. The game always seems to be in Beta.
Kudos to the original Microsoft programmers who obviously had a clue! :clapping:
I always wanted to write something intelligent in my signature. Now that I think about it, I guess I just did! :clapping: :smile:
pmgolf

Post by pmgolf »

Captain Nemo wrote: January 10th, 2020, 11:44 pm Kudos to the original Microsoft programmers who obviously had a clue! :clapping:
In all probability it was the original Access Software programmers that did it, Cap'n. I seem to remember crashes being handled that way long before Microsoft got their hands on it.

Pete
Slattery

Post by Slattery »

The only thing I hate about the game is when you have a multiple monitor setup you cant do things on the other monitors while you play on the main screen.
I suspect it is because the game code is so old.
1PuttJeff

Post by 1PuttJeff »

Still Linksing wrote: January 8th, 2020, 5:30 pm Do you mean it is minimizing to desktop? When you click the icon in the taskbar you can continue? What operating system are you using?
...., yes, the blank screen takes me back to the desktop screen and I always play the game using the full monitor too. I have also noticed that the game only does this when playing with more than more golfer (computer player). I am using the Windows 10 operating system and yes, when I click on the Links 2003 icon on the task bar, it allows me to continue the game.
Still Linksing

Post by Still Linksing »

1PuttJeff wrote: March 4th, 2020, 8:14 pm
Still Linksing wrote: January 8th, 2020, 5:30 pm Do you mean it is minimizing to desktop? When you click the icon in the taskbar you can continue? What operating system are you using?
...., yes, the blank screen takes me back to the desktop screen and I always play the game using the full monitor too. I have also noticed that the game only does this when playing with more than more golfer (computer player). I am using the Windows 10 operating system and yes, when I click on the Links 2003 icon on the task bar, it allows me to continue the game.
This sounds like one of the great new features of Win 10, Game Mode!
The first thing anyone should do if they play games is disable it! :thumbup: :laugh:

In your Windows 10 search area, type "Game Mode Settings"
Click on it and turn Game Mode OFF!
Hopefully you will now have less problems with Links or any other game minimizing while you are in the middle of play.

Post back and let me know if this has helped or totally cured your problem. :thumbup:
Golf Sim Clubhouse
1PuttJeff

Post by 1PuttJeff »

Thanks for your advice regarding the problem I have had while playing Links with a computer player the the game crashing and returning to the main Windows 10 boot-up page. I have taken your advice and have turned off the "Game Mode" option for Windows 10 and will let you know how it works-out. Again, thanks for your suggestion!
Still Linksing

Post by Still Linksing »

1PuttJeff wrote: March 6th, 2020, 8:49 pm ....,

Thanks for your advice regarding the problem I have had while playing Links with a computer player the the game crashing and returning to the main Windows 10 boot-up page. I have taken your advice and have turned off the "Game Mode" option for Windows 10 and will let you know how it works-out. Again, thanks for your suggestion!
Happy to asist, do let me know the outcome. I'm expecting it should solve your problem.
Golf Sim Clubhouse