Slow rendering

Having hardware or software problems related to Links? Other forum members may be able to help you here.
Titus

Re: Slow rendering

Post by Titus »

Titus wrote: April 12th, 2024, 9:11 am
I don't know which nvidia driver he uses, but I'm sure it's an older one. (Edit - he has nvidia driver 536.23 - WHQL)
I would try this nvidia driver 536.40 - WHQL.
Daniel

Post by Daniel »

If you can afford it Pancho upgrade your video card to at least a 3 series I think this will help you with your rendering. And get rid of the Voodoo you should not need it.
pmgolf

Post by pmgolf »

Daniel, I was running Links fine with a GTX 750Ti 2GB, but when I built my PC for future use with Links I upgraded my Video card to the nVidia GTX1050Ti 4GB, and I have had no video problems with Links since. Of course, I never had any problems with the 750 either. Links 1.07 doesn't put any stress on the Video part of my system - a desktop. TomsHardware gives the GTX1050Ti 4GB high ratings so I think attention is being mis-directed to say it might be causing the problem. More likely it's Microsoft or Intel that's doing it.

Pete
GoBucks

Post by GoBucks »

I might suggest getting rid of Voodoo (already mentioned in this thread), install the Nvidia patch (http://linkscoursefiles.co.uk/patches/L ... aPatch.zip), and update the video driver (available from the Nvidia website).
No matter where you go, there you are.
Daniel

Post by Daniel »

pmgolf: You never said what OS you are using is it XP, Windows 7, Vista, 8, 10 or 11. I understand what you are saying about Video Cards you may well be right. It could be Microsoft or Intel. Pancho check how much spare space you have on your C: Drive that can slow things up if it is nearly full. Maybe I am getting to old lol for all this Computer stuff. I am having to go :bookh: up on it all over again.
pmgolf

Post by pmgolf »

I understand completely, Daniel. I have to remind myself that I''m 78 and some of the facts I'm depending on may be a bit dated. My operating system is Windows 10 Pro for my main computer - my backup computer with the nVidia GTX750Ti card is Windows 7.

Pete
Pancho

Post by Pancho »

Hi Pete. I am unable to edit the videocard.txt file even though I changed permissions to give full control. It just won't save. Could you send me yours? craigwfoster@hotmail.com I have gotten rid of Voodoo and have not installed the nVidia fix (since uninstalling/reinstalling Links) as I don't use resolutions not included in the 1.07 update as I want to use the large, highly visible swing meter. Thanks
pmgolf

Post by pmgolf »

Pancho wrote: September 13th, 2024, 6:03 am Hi Pete. I am unable to edit the videocard.txt file even though I changed permissions to give full control. It just won't save. Could you send me yours? craigwfoster@hotmail.com I have gotten rid of Voodoo and have not installed the nVidia fix (since uninstalling/reinstalling Links) as I don't use resolutions not included in the 1.07 update as I want to use the large, highly visible swing meter. Thanks
Pancho, it won't save because it is located in Microsoft land, ie. inside folder /Program Files (X86)/. Everything in that folder (all sub-folders and files) belongs to Microsoft, as far as they are concerned. You let Microsoft put it there when you said "OK" to where the program file was going to be installed. When it asked me: Do you want it installed in "C:/Program Files (X86)/Links 2003/"? I said NO, and told them to put it in "C:/Links 2003/"

In Windows Explorer (Flying Window Key + e), Right-click on "Local Disk (C:)", Select "New" and "Folder", Click!, Name the folder Something: "Pancho", now you have YOUR folder. You "own" everything in that folder. Copy the file "C:/Program Files (X86)/Links 2003/VideoCard.txt" and paste the copy into your new folder. Now you can open the file, make changes, and save it. Then copy the file and paste it into ""C:/Program Files (X86)/Links 2003/VideoCard.txt".

Next, run the nVidia patch. You don't need to have nVidia. It does more than just add a few things. I don't know enough about computers to make the judgement "No, I don't think I'll run it." How come you do? It solves problems you don't even know that you have. So, you want help? Run it!

Pete
GoBucks

Post by GoBucks »

I know I will be labeled "special" or a "contrarian", but I've used nvidia cards for over 20 years and never messed with the video.txt file.
No matter where you go, there you are.
pmgolf

Post by pmgolf »

GoBucks wrote: September 14th, 2024, 12:35 am I know I will be labeled "special" or a "contrarian", but I've used nvidia cards for over 20 years and never messed with the video.txt file.
Sorry Dave. The guy was asking for help and I was busy trying to get him to do what I asked and along came your comment that didn't help. I reacted badly. I apologise.

Pete
Last edited by pmgolf on September 14th, 2024, 12:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.