AMD Radeon 7900XTX & Links 2003 (RESOLVED!)

Having hardware or software problems related to Links? Other forum members may be able to help you here.
Midcon113

Re: AMD Radeon 7900XTX & Links 2003

Post by Midcon113 »

Adelade wrote: February 23rd, 2024, 12:01 am
Midcon113 wrote: February 22nd, 2024, 3:20 amI followed John_vi's instruction in a different thread and got everything working except for one thing: the aiming stick still isn't showing on the overhead cam. Am I just not remembering correctly that this was possible?
Which thread or what advise from john was it that made it work?

If you have your player skill level set to Elite you are not allowed to aim in the top cam, nor view the aim marker within it.
This one here: viewtopic.php?p=16382#p16382 - he posted instructions on how to set the Adrenalin software to improve image quality and that did make a noticeable difference for me!
Midcon113

Re: AMD Radeon 7900XTX & Links 2003

Post by Midcon113 »

pmgolf wrote: February 22nd, 2024, 1:50 pm
Midcon113 wrote: February 22nd, 2024, 3:20 am Hi Pete,

Homebuilt desktop - AMD processor (Ryzen 7 5800x3d - the perfect CPU for Microsoft Flight Simulator, my main jam :laugh:) and ASUS TUF Gaming Radeon 7900 XTX video card (again...MSFS...LOL)

So I see the VideoCard.txt file (what a nostalgia hit seeing all those old graphic card manufacturer names!) but of course ASUS and Radeon and AMD aren't going to be in there. Can that be used to "trick" Links into thinking I have a different card I wonder?

Thanks! Mark
...snip...

Device ID: "0x1C82" --------- videocard.txt: use the hex (? the "0x...") number to determine
where to put it in the (yours: "ATI") section. Mine: "0x1C82 = "GeForce 1050 Ti"" went at the end of the section.

Questions?

Pete
And now...all is working as expected! :clapping: Thank you so much for this! My grid is back, my aiming stick is back, the game looks great, and I'm ready to learn how to digi-golf again! LOL /salute
john_iv

Re: AMD Radeon 7900XTX & Links 2003 (RESOLVED!)

Post by john_iv »

Glad to see you got it working. You might check you're up to date on the AMD drivers as the most recent one (24.1.1) fixed the course crashing problem I reported a while back.

You could also back up your Links install and registry settings to make them portable to take to a new system when you're ready (this is how I transfer Links to new systems w/out having to re-install anything):

C:\ProgramData\Links 2003\*.*
c:\TheDirectoryYouInstalledLinks2k3in\*.*
c:\users\yourname\Links 2003\*.*

and then export your registry keys w/ this commandline:
reg export "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Links 2003" "C:\yourchoicelocation\Links 2003 Auto.reg" /y
Midcon113

Post by Midcon113 »

john_iv wrote: February 23rd, 2024, 3:09 am Glad to see you got it working. You might check you're up to date on the AMD drivers as the most recent one (24.1.1) fixed the course crashing problem I reported a while back.

You could also back up your Links install and registry settings to make them portable to take to a new system when you're ready (this is how I transfer Links to new systems w/out having to re-install anything):

C:\ProgramData\Links 2003\*.*
c:\TheDirectoryYouInstalledLinks2k3in\*.*
c:\users\yourname\Links 2003\*.*

and then export your registry keys w/ this commandline:
reg export "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Links 2003" "C:\yourchoicelocation\Links 2003 Auto.reg" /y
Thanks John! I'll do just that!

For the record in case anyone else want's the hex code, here it is:

0x744C = "ASUS TUF Gaming 7900XTX"

Appreciate everyone's help on this!
Ian Wells

Post by Ian Wells »

Pete,
There is an "All in Wonder" entry in the VideoCard.txt file (in the "ATI" section). Maybe the code in your DXDIAG.txt file is there, too.
This is double dutch to me. :ill:

Do I need to do anything, or would you like me to check something? :dunno:

Ian
pmgolf

Post by pmgolf »

Ian, I'm guessing that there is a code in the videocard.txt file that is either the same as the one that your setup needs or is universal enough to make everything work. You should be fine.

Pete