New laptop advice?

Having hardware or software problems related to Links? Other forum members may be able to help you here.
Zep

New laptop advice?

Post by Zep »

Unfortunately it is time for me to buy a new laptop with Windows 10. I would like to be able to play Links 2003 without issues. Does anyone have any advice on what to buy to reduce the likelihood of having Links 2003 problems?
Andy
Site Admin

Re: New laptop advice?

Post by Andy »

The only advice I can offer is to try and avoid machines with integrated Intel graphics unless they have a separate graphics chip as well.

A lot of people seem to have had problems with the Intel graphics.
I started off with nothing and I still have most of it left!
pmgolf

Post by pmgolf »

The research I did pointed me toward AMD processors. So far, they don't have integrated graphics.

Pete
Last edited by pmgolf on February 20th, 2020, 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

Its worth pointing out that even people with laptops with integrated nvidia cards (such as myself) have been able to set up Links to work without problems (except for the green analyzer perhaps) and it sounds like it works for most if not all with that same type setup. The only advice Im comfortable giving though would perhaps be to avoid buying laptops altogether unless the mobility is an absolute necessity :tongue: Its very hard to say much else since budget and exactly what else you want the system used for are such huge factors.
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
gator

Post by gator »

pmgolf wrote: February 15th, 2020, 11:53 am The research I did pointed me toward AMD processors. So far, they don't have integratedgraphics.

Pete
The last two laptops I purchased, I intentionally went for AMD processors as they will not have the "dreaded" integrated Intel graphics adapter issues reported by many Linksters. Having said that, my current laptop has two "display adapters". An integrated AMD Radeon R7 graphics adapter and a separate AMD Radeon R8 M445DX graphics adapter. Upon startup Links reports that it is utilizing the integrated R7. I have made no attempts to convince/force Links to try to use the R8 as I have not had any issues with how Links plays with the R7. I didn't have any issues with how Links played with my previous AMD laptop either.

I know that within the last couple years many Linksters have found some solace from their integrated Intel graphics adapter issues by using dgVoodoo to convince Links to not use the integrated Intel graphics adapter and instead utilize a separate graphics adapter/card. I just am not going to purchase a new machine with the hopes that I won't have any Links related graphics issues or that I can get those two pieces of software to make the hardware play nice. It's enough of a gamble whether Links will work in Windows 10 to begin with.

As I have never had any problems with any of the programs I run on my laptop due to an AMD processor vs an Intel processor, my next laptop will be another AMD machine as well. This is just my experience and your mileage may vary.
Zep

Post by Zep »

Thank you everyone for the helpful suggestions. I'll try to avoid the Intel processors to avoid these issues.

I'll also hang on to my old Win 7 desktop. It still runs Links like a champ, but it is so old that it is not worth trying to update it to Win 10. I'll consider getting an external monitor and sharing it with the old desktop and new laptop. There must be some sort of switch that enables you to go back and forth between computers.
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

Hi Zep-if it's any consolation I'm doing the same thing.
ryanl

Post by ryanl »

Zep,

Yes, you can share a monitor between two machines using a KVM switch. Short for Keyboard, Video, Mouse (KVM). It usually comes with either a switchbox or a button that allows you to switch between the two machines, sending the output of either machine to the same video display. It also allows you to use the same keyboard and mouse to control each machine, obviously one at a time.

You will have to make sure that each machine's video output cable can hook into the KVM switch. If you are keeping your older machine and getting a newer laptop the video output is probably a different format, DVI, VGA, HDMI, etc...

Hope this helps!

Ryan
Zep

Post by Zep »

I've been doing some shopping and I'm considering buying a laptop with an Intel Core i7-9700H processor with a seperate NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 4 GB video card. I don't think it has the integrated Intel graphics on the motherboard. Will that combo work without issues with Links 2003?
Still Linksing

Post by Still Linksing »

Zep wrote: March 8th, 2020, 11:07 pm I've been doing some shopping and I'm considering buying a laptop with an Intel Core i7-9700H processor with a seperate NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 4 GB video card. I don't think it has the integrated Intel graphics on the motherboard. Will that combo work without issues with Links 2003?
Sounds like a really good laptop. Theoretically should work great but a combination of laptop, old game and Win 10, you won't really know till you load up Links.
For all the old golf games visit:
Golf Sim Clubhouse