Olympic Club - early look

Announce and discuss forthcoming and recent course releases or request beta help from members.
dorse72

Olympic Club - early look

Post by dorse72 »

finishing this off also next year, good start to it, look how it tumbles down to the lake, lots of elevation here, and a Linkster DEM to work off of, going to be great.
Attachments
OCC - early look.jpg
OCC - early look.jpg (212.37 KiB) Viewed 3299 times
ChuckH

Re: Olympic Club - early look

Post by ChuckH »

First, congratulations on Harding Park. Excellent redition. I especially like the trees. My favorite is the tree just right of the 17th tee. Good luck on Olympic. I went to the US Open there a few years ago that Webb Simpson won. It's a very steep slope from the clubhouse down to the water. About wore me out. Lots of greens are very elevated. If you're short on some of them, it can go a long way back down. Trees are very tall. You had to park at Candlestick Park and take a bus to the course. Great fun though. I'll look forward to seeing your version. Cheers.
dorse72

Post by dorse72 »

I remember well, I was there as a photographer the whole week, lots of good photos for reference. I was also wiped out at the end of every day, over 200' of elevation drop from clubhouse down. Gil Hanse has done a renovation, widened fairways, enlarged greens, added fwy bunkers, change mowing patterns, everything so far he does is gold, so we'll see, here are some pics. And they added a putting course called 'Lombard Links' i think its called.

here are some good pics, you'll see the differences right away - they also changed the 7th and 9th hole which were awkward if you remember, didn't fit well.

https://golfweek.usatoday.com/2023/10/1 ... cal-glory/
Attachments
Lombard putting course.jpg
Lombard putting course.jpg (108.96 KiB) Viewed 3262 times
guitarget2019

Post by guitarget2019 »

The Lombard putting course looks like hours of fun. :thumbup:
Duck Hook

Post by Duck Hook »

Gil Hanse must be the go-to man when it comes to renovations, I see he has also done extensive work at Merion.
While Tom Doak and Robert Trent Jones Snr are easily my favourite designers, this bloke is quickly joining them. I have a DEM for one of his courses, probably my favourite American course at the moment... :smile:
braden1308

Post by braden1308 »

Hanse is finishing up a restoration of Oakmont right now, getting ready for the 2025 US Open. He's moving/enlarging some bunkers, enlarging some greens and lengthening a few holes.
dorse72

Post by dorse72 »

braden1308 wrote: November 19th, 2023, 11:55 pm Hanse is finishing up a restoration of Oakmont right now, getting ready for the 2025 US Open. He's moving/enlarging some bunkers, enlarging some greens and lengthening a few holes.
And dont forget Colonial CC an hr west of me, he's been making changes there all year. GE shows all the grass sprayed off and making changes to 7,8 & 13
Duglis

Post by Duglis »

Thanks for doing this!