Pro Tip files

For all topics about the playing of Links, such as Swing Types etc.
ChuckH

Pro Tip files

Post by ChuckH »

There's probably little to no interest in this topic but I think I'll bring it up anyway. The Pro Tip files are the audio file associated with lots of Microsoft courses. In Links 2003, if there is a tip file a button will light up on the hole preview screen and you can get tips on the hole you are on. I think this is a cool feature not found on other golf games. In the CD version, the six original courses had tip files for them. On the download version, there is only one course which is Skeleton Coast. The other five real courses are sold seperately. I don't know if any of these courses come with tip files. Right after Links 2003 came out, Microsoft came out with Championship Courses which were 20 updated courses. They all had tip files except two which were Kapalua Village and Mesa Roja. This is a must have CD as far as I'm concerned. Links 2001 has some tip files but the program makes you find and put in the corresponding CD to play the tip file. This is awkward to say the least. If you put the tip files in the Courses Directory of Links 2003 though, they will play. They will not play this way in Links2001. There are some tip files from earlier versions of Links, namely LS2000 and LS1999. Earlier versions than these have no tip files as far as I can tell. Microsoft Golf also has no tip files. Tip files in LS2000 and LS1999 are named "tipwaves.wav and Tipwaves.ls". If you simply rename them to the exact course name with a .tip extension they will play. Lastly, there are some user made update courses of Microsoft courses that will also play tip files. For instance, Steven Lucey has a course Mauna Kea. If you copy the original Mauna Kea tip file then name the tip file the same name as Steven Lucey's course and then put it into the Courses folder, it will play. Courses that I have got this to work are:
St. Andrews by Stewart Parker
Mauna Kea by Steven Lucey
Cambrian Ridge by Todd Meyers
Banff Springs (Thompson 18) by Colin Jones
Oakmont by Scott Lewin
Bay Hill by Kline/Braden
Kapalua Plantation by Andrew Jones
Pinehurst #2 by Robert Miller (multiple courses)
Pinehurst #8 2007 by unknown
Kauri Cliffs by Adelade (although this one is a little tricky)
I have about 30 to 40 tip files of Microsoft course that I've identified and that play. I could list them if anyone is interested. I'm not sure if it's proper to link them here for people that do not have them. There are three Microsoft courses that are available on Links Corner as well as on Links Country Club for free download that don't have the tip files with them. I think as least those would be ok but I don't want to presume. They are Four Seasons Resort at Aviara, Frankfurter, and Jubilee Course at St. Andrews. Thanks.
Chuck
Duck Hook

Re: Pro Tip files

Post by Duck Hook »

Hi Chuck

I do find this interesting. I did try this with Cambrian Ridge but couldn't get it to work, might give it another go.

:cheers1:
T
ChuckH

Post by ChuckH »

Duck Hook wrote: November 9th, 2023, 8:28 am Hi Chuck

I do find this interesting. I did try this with Cambrian Ridge but couldn't get it to work, might give it another go.

T
Just to be clear, you must copy the original cambrian.tip file somewhere and then rename it the exact name as your course file. Then put that file back in your courses folder with your course. Double check that it's there and the same name. If that still fails, try renaming your course file to something simpler and the tip file to the same name. Say, your file to CR.crz and the tip file to CR.tip. I had to do that with one or two files for some reason.
Chuck
Duck Hook

Post by Duck Hook »

No worries, I will give this a try. Thanks Chuck.

T
Colin Jones

Post by Colin Jones »

Yes, very interesting to me too! Thanks so much Chuck, would never have even thought about it otherwise.

I used the original Microsoft mesh of Banff Springs for my remake. I suspect that means that the "old tips" from MS might still be on point for my course as they relate to elevations, green contours, etc.

I have a Linkster DEM for another original MS Course that I am working on - and I can tell you that the original MS mesh is just not the same! I will see what the tips say about it. Certainly will include in my release if they offer value/guidance/something-new.

Thanks again Chuck. Great stuff.
Completed: Golf Club of Houston (Redstone); Banff Springs; Mauna Kea 2024
Working on: Royal Sydney (2024); NSW Golf Club (2024)
ChuckH

Post by ChuckH »

I hope you got the tips to work with your course. You have a wonderful rendition of Banff. I stopped there once while on vacation. Not a golf vacation. Stopped at the pro shop. They said I could play if I wanted to cough up $250.00. And that was a few years ago. We did stop at the hotel and had a drink. Your rendition does it justice. The pro tip file is pretty close to your rendition. Yardages are a little off but not a lot.
Can I ask what MS course you're working on?
Thanks,
Chuck
Colin Jones

Post by Colin Jones »

Thanks so much for your very nice words about Banff.

Have sent you a PM.
Completed: Golf Club of Houston (Redstone); Banff Springs; Mauna Kea 2024
Working on: Royal Sydney (2024); NSW Golf Club (2024)