National Golf Links

Announce and discuss forthcoming and recent course releases or request beta help from members.
migolfer

Re: National Golf Links

Post by migolfer »

Nitpick: this might be something that Andy would fix:
size.png
size.png (33.68 KiB) Viewed 2929 times
Andy
Site Admin

Post by Andy »

migolfer wrote: October 17th, 2023, 10:07 pm Nitpick: this might be something that Andy would fix:
size.png
Sorted. :tiphat:
migolfer

Post by migolfer »

Andy wrote: October 17th, 2023, 10:43 pm Sorted. :tiphat:
:cheers1: Best Site Admin ever. Hope you had a good trip to Kefalonia. Greece, right?
Andy
Site Admin

Post by Andy »

migolfer wrote: October 19th, 2023, 12:36 am
Andy wrote: October 17th, 2023, 10:43 pm Sorted. :tiphat:
:cheers1: Best Site Admin ever. Hope you had a good trip to Kefalonia. Greece, right?
Thanks. Yes, we had a fantastic holiday. For those who don't know, Kefalonia is a Greek island in the Adriatic, just a 3 hours flight for us in the UK.

It has very wet winters which make it a very green island unlike most of the other Greek Isles. In late April/early May the island is carpeted with wild flowers, a beautiful sight.

If anyone is interested, here is an album of some of my holiday photos from Kefalonia taken over a span of 10 years.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/4t8CtcFjFZ378DpSA
Weeler

Post by Weeler »

Some course comments:
This is a superb course rendition, Glenn. Even though I've heard of it over the years, I've never really looked into anything about this layout.Surprised to see it was designed way back in 1911. I really like your texture /color choices throughout. Very natural looking. When I first came upon one of the inland ponds, I was a bit surprised to see that they didn't have the typical "reflective" surface often used. I got used to it quickly, and when I was setting up for my tee shot on 14, I imagined a slight breeze making the water surface ripple and giving it a very "real" appearance.

Some of the hole layouts and fairway shapes were pretty different as well. I got caught in the heavy grassy area on 10, and it took me a few shots to "hack" my way out of it, which is authentic too. Very nice work on both the clubhouse and the windmill also !! All in all, it was an enjoyable couple of rounds, and not without a couple of challenges along the way. Great work.

Ron
:tiphat:
sagevanni

Post by sagevanni »

Hi Glenn,
Why no reflective water around the playing areas?

Sage...... :cheers1:
If there is one thing ................ummmmmmmm.......I can't remember.
braden1308

Post by braden1308 »

Thanks Ron, glad you like it. As far as the reflective water goes, I was having some problems with the reflective water and crashes. I reduced the verts in the ponds and had not added the seam blends around the pond edge. Water level was not below any of the bunkers, trying to work that out. Some of the other non-reflective water, like on 14 is because of the seam blend going to the sand. When I release the final, I'll try and get some of the ponds reflective, it depends on how far it will test my patience :wallbash:
sagevanni

Post by sagevanni »

Gotcha......................
If there is one thing ................ummmmmmmm.......I can't remember.
Duck Hook

Post by Duck Hook »

I came for that windmill and I didn't leave disappointed..... :thumbup:

I imagine it was a daunting prospect taking on one of the most scrutinised courses in America, not to mention one that is overloaded with features ( bunkers, water, buildings etc,etc. ). Incredible achievment mate.

The only thing I can add, and it's really splitting hairs, is maybe a different texture for the grassed areas would be more appealing? But this comes purely from an artistic point of view, nothing impacting on play. Though no doubt the complexity of the DEM would make this a real pain in the ass to do and add to the file size for little gain... :smile:

Once again great job Glenn, outstanding quality and attention to detail....that damn windmill :clapping:

:cheers1:
T
braden1308

Post by braden1308 »

Thanks Todd, there was a lot with this course. I did originally have a completely different texture picked out for the grass areas but after looking at so many pictures of the course, I noticed the grass under the taller grasses is the same as the rough but a little bit lighter, which I would guess is because it doesn't get the same amount of sun as the rest of the course because of the overgrowth. Overthinking maybe? But that is why I chose the lighter rough rather than a high grass texture. I did attempt to make a high grass texture from the rough texture I used but I couldn't get it right.

One thing that surprised me was how relatively easy this course is playing links. I turned up the wind some to try and re-create the breeze from the bay, maybe I will turn it up a little more so a breezy round makes you think a little more.

Glenn