Ryder Cup

Enough of the Links talk! Use this forum for real golf and other topics but no religion or politics.
Duck Hook

Re: Ryder Cup

Post by Duck Hook »

It will be interesting to see what happens next season. You would think that if this merger, or whatever it is takes place then the rankings issue must be one of the top priorities to sort out.
FOOOOORE!

Post by FOOOOORE! »

Duck Hook wrote: October 4th, 2023, 3:00 am It will be interesting to see what happens next season. You would think that if this merger, or whatever it is takes place then the rankings issue must be one of the top priorities to sort out.
Yet, we're into October and I haven't seen anything so far that suggests they're even working on it. This whole thing is going to be very, very complicated, so hopefully they are working on it and just keeping quiet until it's done. It isn't something they can postpone until Jan 1st and have ready in a couple of weeks.
Duck Hook

Post by Duck Hook »

I tell you what that rankings list also highlights. That apart from 2, maybe 3 golfers, this must be the dullest, least interesting or exciting generation of top American golfers in the history of the PGA.
I am not questioning their golfing ability, but their capability of generating interest in the sport. It would have to be an all time low.
Whether it was by brilliant golf with a healthy amount of flair or irregular style or by their fascinating personalities the top American pros were always filled with examples of each. Think Jack, Arnie, Trevino, Zoeller, Stadler, Wadkins, Azinger, Daley, Tiger, Bubba, Phil, DJ, Bryson etc, etc....
Now it's just dull grey......
FOOOOORE!

Post by FOOOOORE! »

Duck Hook wrote: October 4th, 2023, 9:38 am I tell you what that rankings list also highlights. That apart from 2, maybe 3 golfers, this must be the dullest, least interesting or exciting generation of top American golfers in the history of the PGA.
I am not questioning their golfing ability, but their capability of generating interest in the sport. It would have to be an all time low.
Whether it was by brilliant golf with a healthy amount of flair or irregular style or by their fascinating personalities the top American pros were always filled with examples of each. Think Jack, Arnie, Trevino, Zoeller, Stadler, Wadkins, Azinger, Tiger, Bubba, Phil, DJ, Bryson etc, etc....
Now it's just dull grey......
I know what you mean. I could watch golf if I really wanted to, but in the last few years I just haven't been tempted enough to make the effort. There's an over-all lack of charisma or whatever one calls that quality that makes you say "I just HAVE to watch this guy play!" I don't have that feeling anymore, and I don't care how well the Cantlays, Schefflers, Schauffeles, are playing. For golf to be entertaining on TV, there needs to be The Man that everyone else is trying to beat. Otherwise it's just a bunch of cookie cutter players and who really cares who wins the tournament? I don't see anyone poised to take TW's place, not a single one.
sagevanni

Post by sagevanni »

I don't see anyone poised to take TW's place, not a single one.
:cheers1:

I totally agree...................

Sage....... :cheers1:
If there is one thing ................ummmmmmmm.......I can't remember.
FOOOOORE!

Post by FOOOOORE! »

It's depressing, really. Without saying anything, by his absence Woods has made it quite clear he's done. He gave it a shot, but he simply can't walk a course for four days and play the way he used to. And he doesn't play just to make the cut. Not to take anything away from Nicklaus, Palmer, et al, but when their time was up, Woods saved Golf On TV. He was literally one in a million and it's going to be lean days ahead for golf broadcasts and their sponsors, plus the trickle-down effect to equipment manufacturers and golf course memberships. At one time I thought maybe someone like DeChambeau, DJ, or Koepka would pick up the slack, but that hasn't materialized (LIV played a part in that). I'm just thankful I got to watch 20+ years of great golf. Other than golf, I watch only hockey. Everything else bores me to tears, but that's just me.
Duck Hook

Post by Duck Hook »

Duck Hook wrote: October 4th, 2023, 3:00 am It will be interesting to see what happens next season. You would think that if this merger, or whatever it is takes place then the rankings issue must be one of the top priorities to sort out.
No need to wait, it's a big fat no.

Obviously too hard for the folks at OWGR to formulate a rankings system for something a little different. Or too easy, depending on which way you look at it..... :whistle: