Changing SKL Files Between Anis

Discuss Golfer Animations, Clothing, Clubs, MOP's, Soundscripts, Seasons, Rosters and all Career Mode related plus any External Programs here.
Big Sexy JC

Changing SKL Files Between Anis

Post by Big Sexy JC »

I mentioned awhile back that I was able to manipulate the Golfer Utility program to allow me to see and extract all the components of a golfer animation file. This allowed me to get access to all the hidden anis, which gave me more flexibility when creating anis (body types, etc.). One of the files that I extracted that I've been trying to figure out for the last 4 months is the SKL file.

I was able to open the file in a hex editor and see that it was the wire mesh framing that made up the golfer animations body type, height, hat type, etc., but in 100s of attempts to make sense of all the variables in that file each edit resulted in a crash at worst and absolutely no difference at best. I was about to throw in the towel and just be satisfied with what I had figured out to this point, but I'm just too dam stubborn to give up.

I hate the old Payne Stewart ani for many reasons, but mostly because it was created on one of the original ani models so it just looked off to me. Every since I figured all this stuff out I wanted to create a new Payne Stewart, but I had to do it justice to replace the one the old animasters did back in the day. The S01 ani models are the newest and were the latest to be rolled out so they come with the most "bells and whistles". I wanted to create my Payne Stewart using the S01 model but the only ani that had knickers with the flat hat using the S01 model was the Harry Vardon one. There just weren't enough apparel configs with that ani to do Payne Stewart justice.

Using the SKL version of the Golfer Utility, I extracted the Harry Vardon SKLs, changed the name of them to match the SKLs used in a golfer model/configuration that I wanted to use (Frank C in this case) and then edited them to make sure all the file types were correct. To my amazement it freaking worked. So I was able to take a flat hat, knicker with high socks Harry Vardon animation and copy those SKL files to an ani that had more shirt, pant, hat and shoe combinations (Frank C) and then save it as a new animation (Payne Stewart). Once I had the Payne Stewart animation I was able to setup all the outfits and complete a new shiny Payne Stewart ani.

To make sure it wasn't a fluke, I tested all kinds of combos and I can now say that I can mix and match SKL files between golfers effortlessly. My possible combos are almost limitless. This includes different golfer swing types (this is contained in the SKL files) along with all the emotions. That means if I want a golfer to use the David Toms swing type without emotions and have a chubby body type with a flat hat and knickers I can now pull that off. Probably not exciting for most, but after months of trying to figure those SKL files out, I was pretty damn excited.
Last edited by Big Sexy JC on September 13th, 2023, 4:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
sagevanni

Re: Changing SKL Files Between Anis

Post by sagevanni »

Mr Sexy that stuff is amazing that you are into all that stuff...!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm impressed...!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now all we need is a working "copy/paste" function in APCD.....LMAO...!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rofl:

Way to go dude...!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sage........ :cheers1: :clapping:
If there is one thing ................ummmmmmmm.......I can't remember.
pmgolf

Post by pmgolf »

Is there any to select the animations that don't have the over-the-top emotions? I prefer them. Thanks!

Pete
Big Sexy JC

Post by Big Sexy JC »

Pete,

Not sure what you mean by "select" but you can pretty much put emotionless golfers on an ani now.

Sage,

Doing all this stuff is completely out of my personality. I'm actually a golf course junkie and ideally I would love to be able to create real PGA tour courses at the rate that you make courses, but every time I open APCD thinking I can pull a course off I learn quickly that I just have no clue where to even begin.

I have no programming ability whatsoever so the fact that I've been able to figure some of this out surprises me. I just know I've been secretly mooching off this website for 2 decades and am happy to finally give back a little. I might get the nerve to put in a request to one of you APCD geniuses to create a PGA tour course one day, but I'm not there yet.
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

I want to hear four letter words...and I don't mean "fore"! :rant: