EA PGA Tour 2023 - Any Thoughts?

Welcome to Links Corner, this Forum is to say Hello and have a General Chat about Golf/Links related subjects.
ColinC

EA PGA Tour 2023 - Any Thoughts?

Post by ColinC »

I thought I would start this off as a new thread rather than pick up the previous one.

After a few months of thinking about it I picked up a copy of EA PGA Tour 2023 on sale a couple of weeks ago and have been noodling with it and working through the challenges.

This is the first new golf game I have purchased since Links 2003 came out nearly 21 years ago. wow.

Here are some of my initial thoughts

1) I don't see this as a threat to Links 2003, for several reasons, not the least of which is no course designer. That being said, it does come with 30 mostly big name courses and the graphics are incredible. Only 1 UK course course though.

2) PGA 2023 is a really nice upgrade to GBC as the aiming and swinging is similar to that and the putting finally works for me. : )

3) The game still needs to get some bugs ironed out. The PC version has a tendency to freeze up and/or crash from time to time. But I am getting more used to it and likely need to adjust some settings.

4) so far I have been focusing on the challenges to get used to the gameplay rather than playing courses. there is a lot of side things you can do in addition to just playing the courses and a ton of online tournaments.

5) I have been learning on the Pro level and it's pretty easy. I understand from forums that the SIM level gets more challenging.

6) it has been odd getting used to playing with a joystick. There is a 3-click option which I haven't tried yet.

Overall, I am enjoying it but Links 2003 is going to remain my main golf sim for some time to come, and I am really looking forward to trying out the incredible courses that the amazing designers in our community have been previewing lately.

I give the new game 7/10 with room to move up if EA can fix the bugs and increase some of the functionality.

I was curious if anyone else here has tried it out yet and what you think?
JimEvers37

Re: EA PGA Tour 2023 - Any Thoughts?

Post by JimEvers37 »

Colin,

As I shared in the thread about the LACC course, I've been cheating on Links for a little while and playing PGA 2K21 on the Xbox. Took a little learning to learn the ball physics and how to get the ball to land and stick close to the pin on the greens. It seems easier than Links as I can use the thumb stick to swing the club. There are plenty of real courses that you can play, I haven't tried the version of LACC that is on it yet. There is also a course creation tool on it but I've not tried it. The career mode and tournaments are similar to how they work in Links (you don't play with a partner, so it makes it difficult not knowing when your opponent is in trouble or going on a birdie binge).

I've been watching the price of the EA title and if it gets in my price range or if I find it used I would probably purchase it and give it a try. The issue with these games is the closed course library, in EA's case there are only 30 courses, I think Links and the fantastic designers have spoiled us! I don't have high end computer equipment so I have taken to the console route as I have a laptop that should run Links but I haven't had any luck getting it to work, luckily I still have a desktop that runs it!

Jim
RobV

Post by RobV »

These series of EA games continue to have the "Tiger Woods style" of game play, which I just could not get into over the years... I did play TW08 for a little while and did try EA's Rory version for the Xbox, but again.. its that same style of game play. For me the Links style, ball physics and just overall way the game is designed is for me. It is also the reason why why I still have Perfect Golf installed on my PC and hit up a course from time to time.

There's nothing like Links.. I know it is outdated, but the game play isn't.. its the best of the best in my opinion..
ColinC

Post by ColinC »

I agree on the gameplay, it's not the same as Links. I'm finding it fun to do challenges and play short tournaments but I haven't actually played a full course yet. When I want to play a proper round I still come back to Links. Glad I bought it on sale half off. I would assume it will go on sale again at some point later in the year. I've done well in the past buying software and games on Black Friday weekend for example and sometimes other holidays.

I almost passed on PGA at first because of the lack of a course designer, the number and quality of the courses available with Links is still incredible. Thanks to all of the designers whose hard work and creativity over the last 20 years and continuing today made this possible. PGA does have a few courses that are not available on Links like Teeth of the Dog, which I used to play on GBC and Tara Iti.
guitarget2019

Post by guitarget2019 »

I've tried almost every new golf game they release, and I always go back to Links 2003. Mostly because I have no wish to take a digital ride on any of the digital golf balls I hit. (I get quite dizzy from such things.)

And yes, the new graphics are almost always marvelous... :thumbup:

But...I can play along with a lot of PGA Tour events. And, majors.

D.W.