Wasteland Texture...

Share your designing tips with other Designer's. Find answers to your problems using the APCD.
Danny D

Wasteland Texture...

Post by Danny D »

Hello again gents... :tiphat:

I've been experimenting with textures to fill in the waste areas between fairways at Shadow Creek. Here is my first attempt. This is the ground texture and there will me lots of trees and random bushes planted on it when finished.

Any opinions on this one?

Thanks in advance.

Dan

waste area.jpg
waste area.jpg (2.09 MiB) Viewed 1296 times
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
Fictitious Courses: Northern Lakes - Golfcom Tees
Southern Oaks - Hometown 9 hole real course with a fictitious back 9 added
braden1308

Re: Wasteland Texture...

Post by braden1308 »

Looks good Danny, that is such a hard texture to get right. I have struggled with that one a few times and have got textures I felt were passable but it always stayed in the back of my mind they could have been better.
Ian Wells

Post by Ian Wells »

Hi Dan,
I agree with Glenn, it looks good.
It will look very different with the tress and bushes added. Any chance of a sample with some planted?
Ian
EJ55

Post by EJ55 »

Ian Wells wrote: May 18th, 2023, 7:43 am Hi Dan,
I agree with Glenn, it looks good.
It will look very different with the tress and bushes added. Any chance of a sample with some planted?
Ian
In agreement with both Glenn and Ian here. It looks good I believe in combination of what you have planned some small grasses planted densely and/or sporadically would really make it pop.
Danny D

Post by Danny D »

Thank guys. I appreciate your opinions. This is a view of 2 separate textures with a wide seam blending between them. I agree it will take on a different look with different plants. Right now I'm trying to get some ground texture to work with. I'll work on the planting when I get the course texture completed. I have 3 holes to go and then I have to fill in the waste areas. Lots of detail work left. I hope I have the patience to stay with it. :unsure:

Thanks again for the opinions. :cheers1:

Dan
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
linkster

Post by linkster »

Texture looks great Danny! It is soooo difficult to get a texture that tiles decently and both of your textures look great! I would add in some more brown to the colour but that depends on what you will be 2D planting on the texture.

Off topic but I will ask it here, are you working on Shadow Creek with the DEM or is it your original work?
Danny D

Post by Danny D »

linkster wrote: May 22nd, 2023, 2:26 am Texture looks great Danny! It is soooo difficult to get a texture that tiles decently and both of your textures look great! I would add in some more brown to the colour but that depends on what you will be 2D planting on the texture.

Off topic but I will ask it here, are you working on Shadow Creek with the DEM or is it your original work?
It's my original work. I was too far into it to start over and that DEM was really stressing my computer when I loaded it up and looked at it. I appreciate you making it for me. Thanks again. :tiphat:

The most frustrating part of making textures is the tiling effect. It's impossible to make one with any detail without the tiling. All you can do is get close. :sad:

Dan
Completed Courses