LIV

Enough of the Links talk! Use this forum for real golf and other topics but no religion or politics.
Jimbo

Re: LIV

Post by Jimbo »

This makes the AFL, ABA and WHA look pretty tame...
pmgolf

Post by pmgolf »

I watched a LIV tournament round yesterday for the first time. Everyone (players, Greg Norman, and especially announcers) were doing all they could to make the viewer think what they were seeing was exceptionally exciting, and it really turned me off. If the golf IS exciting, that's the thing that will make me happy - not having a commentator tell me: "Wow! This is exciting!". But with all the players teeing off at the same time - shotgun style - there is so much happening at once that they can't get around and show it quickly enough. I gave up on it 20 minutes into the broadcast. Now, LIV Fanboys, roast me!

Pete
gene_golf

Post by gene_golf »

I see that on today at 1 PM Eastern time by a tv station called CW. With shotgun start seems to be where announcers have a mess on hands to talk about as regular tournaments have leaders start play in final group from first tee on last day and unless some player shoots real low in final round from one of the earlier groups out---usually spectators in person and watching on tv can see the drama at finish to win. A note about Mickelson, if not for number of victories on tour in his lifetime along with his winning the Masters, PGA and British Open that his recent play 2021-2022 season and before that on 2020-2021 only notable was his PGA win that season would not now qualify him to play on recognized tours and to include his record amongst fellow players in tournament does not show well for them concerning world rankings.
https://www.espn.com/golf/player/result ... -mickelson
FOOOOORE!

Post by FOOOOORE! »

Adjustments will have to be made. If you look closely at Sam Snead's wins, you'll see that many of them would be discounted today. Or check out the PGA Tour beginning in 1916 ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PGA_Tour )
. LIV may fold completely (plenty of parallels in hockey, football, etc.), or emerge as a legitimate contender. Only time will tell.
gene_golf

Post by gene_golf »

FOOOOORE! wrote: February 26th, 2023, 10:53 am Adjustments will have to be made. If you look closely at Sam Snead's wins, you'll see that many of them would be discounted today. Or check out the PGA Tour beginning in 1916 ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PGA_Tour )
. LIV may fold completely (plenty of parallels in hockey, football, etc.), or emerge as a legitimate contender. Only time will tell.
Changes have been announced for 2024 LIV membership as will be determined by qualifying, but so many details makes it hard to comprehend.
https://www.golfdigest.com/story/liv-go ... ation-2024
Here are the 48 current players playing by end of second round results in Mexico.
https://www.espn.com/golf/leaderboard/_/tour/liv
By the way S. Kim in last place is not Si Woo Kim.
https://www.pgatour.com/player/37455/si-woo-kim
And a Mickelson update---he shows that he is tied for 41st place out of 48 golfers starting final round.
Looking now at start of final round and individual leaders seem to play against each other in groupings starting out at first hole. Not sure by LIV rules if this happened in say the second round as PGA Tour and other tours do for third and fourth round after cut occurs after second round. For those others in LIV doing bad---they might start round playing out on #9 as their first hole. I will watch and try to determine, but so far tv coverage is focused on the leaders in tournament, while those bringing up rear are not usually shown wherever they are at unless they hit some kind of miracle shot that is saved on tape to be shown.
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

I watched it on the Golf Channel today. The team concept was interesting and they make themselves more accessible to the media...and the shorts... :whistle:

But a shotgun start is probable in place because they only have the same TV time as the PGA-and the folks at NBC and CBA only have to focus on the top of the leaderboard-unless it's a major.

Anyway it was nice to see that the LIV players have landed on their feet! :rofl:
GoBucks

Post by GoBucks »

Jimbo wrote: February 27th, 2023, 5:55 am I watched it on the Golf Channel today.
On the Golf Channel? Are you sure it wasn't possibly just highlights? Or perhaps a different network?
No matter where you go, there you are.
gene_golf

Post by gene_golf »

GoBucks wrote: February 27th, 2023, 3:47 pm
Jimbo wrote: February 27th, 2023, 5:55 am I watched it on the Golf Channel today.
On the Golf Channel? Are you sure it wasn't possibly just highlights? Or perhaps a different network?
This was the programming on The Golf Channel yesterday in the USA. Agreed that Jimbo must have watched highlights, maybe on Golf Central. I cannot copy times shown, but nowhere is there a mention that LIV Tour was to be shown in its entirety and started at 1PM Eastern Time and ran until 6PM Eastern Time on CW channel, the first tv network to carry LIV Tour, besides seeing it via internet hookup.
Sunday Feb, 26
LPGA Tour Golf
2023 Honda LPGA Thailand - Final Round
(Sports, 2/25/2023)
DP World Tour Golf
2023 Hero Indian Open - Final Round
(2/26/2023)
DP World Tour Golf
2023 Hero Indian Open - Final Round
(2/26/2023)
PGA Tour Golf
2023 The Honda Classic - Round 3
(Sports, 2/25/2023)
LPGA Tour Golf
(Sports, 2/25/2023)
Golf Central Pregame
(Sports)
PGA Tour Golf
2023 Honda Classic - Final Round
(Sports, 2/26/2023)
LPGA Tour Golf
(Sports, 2/25/2023)
Golf Central
(Sports)
PGA Tour Golf
2023 Honda Classic - Final Round
(Sports, 2/26/2023)
LPGA Tour Golf
JimEvers37

Post by JimEvers37 »

I'm pretty sure it wasn't on Golf Channel as I watched the first two hours of coverage before it switched over to NBC and the LPGA event was on after it on Golf Channel. I didn't look for the LIV event on CW and don't remember seeing it on the channel listing grid on YouTube TV, I was more ticked off that ESPN did not show the Scotties Women's Curling Championship, and they also won't be showing the Brier later in March, one angry American curling fan here! The worst part is that ESPN has a 30% ownership in TSN (Canadian ESPN) and could carry it on ESPN3 for no fee like they have been doing the past few years. But at least the XFL was on ESPN Saturday and Sunday. </endrant>

Jim
JimEvers37

Post by JimEvers37 »

Upon further investigation I found the following article: https://awfulannouncing.com/golf/eight- ... -golf.html

Below is the most important part of the article, my CW affiliate apparently did not air the tournament here in Detroit.

Deadline reports that several CW affiliates will *not* be airing LIV Golf events, including all eight CBS-owned and operated affiliates across the country. Those eight affiliates are in Philadelphia, Atlanta, San Francisco, Tampa, Seattle, Detroit, Sacramento, and Pittsburgh. Additionally, the Weigel-owned affiliate in Chicago will not air LIV, nor will Tegna-owned affiliates like San Diego and Hartford.

One of my favorite lines to say, did you miss the LIV tournament this weekend? My reply, I never miss LIV Golf, I don't watch it so I didn't miss it.

Jim