Southern Hills

Announce and discuss forthcoming and recent course releases or request beta help from members.
gene_golf

Re: Southern Hills

Post by gene_golf »

pmgolf wrote: May 16th, 2022, 8:59 pm I looked at hole 10 and indeed, there is not a puttable pin on that green. The closest is pin 9, but I would still rank it as more difficult than the most difficult pins that I find acceptable. I assume no green book was used on these greens. No one ever said that all courses should be usable by all players though. We still have a lot of courses without Southern Hills.

Pete
The course designer being Glenn Braden---I believe he has used green's books for all the rest of his designs of real courses. Looking at what was written in Golf Digest the deep rough may be set at more brutal setting than what players might see during PGA.
https://www.golfdigest.com/story/southe ... wl%20roots.
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

gene_golf wrote: May 16th, 2022, 9:07 pm
pmgolf wrote: May 16th, 2022, 8:59 pm I looked at hole 10 and indeed, there is not a puttable pin on that green. The closest is pin 9, but I would still rank it as more difficult than the most difficult pins that I find acceptable. I assume no green book was used on these greens. No one ever said that all courses should be usable by all players though. We still have a lot of courses without Southern Hills.

Pete
The course designer being Glenn Braden---I believe he has used green's books for all the rest of his designs of real courses. Looking at what was written in Golf Digest the deep rough may be set at more brutal setting than what players might see during PGA.
https://www.golfdigest.com/story/southe ... wl%20roots.
If Glenn is using the "Green Books" for all of his courses then, on behalf of all nitpickers I'd like to commend him. If the green books that he's using are the ones that I see advertised on the net then he's laid out a wee bit of cash! :cheers1:
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

Is anybody else having trouble downloading the crz's for Victoria National, San Antonio and Southwind? I'n sliding them from the ZIP file to my course library but I'm getting an "Access Denied" message.
The Nitpicker is finished! :dunno:
ChuckH

Post by ChuckH »

There are many fine points about this update. Most notable for me is the seam blending from the original. But since this is a beta i'd like to point out my pet peeve: the rough is too harsh. The original rough was called SH deep rough and it was too severe in my opinion. And so it is too with this deep rough on the update. It's just too severe for me. As a minor point, there are no hole handicaps.
braden1308

Post by braden1308 »

Pete
These are the new greens at Southern Hills, straight from Starkaline
braden1308

Post by braden1308 »

ChuckH wrote: May 16th, 2022, 10:24 pm There are many fine points about this update. Most notable for me is the seam blending from the original. But since this is a beta i'd like to point out my pet peeve: the rough is too harsh. The original rough was called SH deep rough and it was too severe in my opinion. And so it is too with this deep rough on the update. It's just too severe for me. As a minor point, there are no hole handicaps.
All the holes ae handicapped, men's and women
braden1308

Post by braden1308 »

You know, I think I'm done. I've never seen a bigger bunch of whiner's than this group.
Maximus420

Post by Maximus420 »

Course looks great to me. Appreciate you releasing it in time for the tournament. The only small nitpicks I noticed are #13 is 100 yards short of the PGA Championship yardage. No idea where that 632 yard tee would even go though. Also, the fairway bunker on #15 seems too close to the tees and doesn't come into play on tee shots as it appears to on the PGA Championship website. Last minor issue isn't a big deal, but #16 plays as a long par 4 for the tournament, not a third par 5, but you can just use a more forward tee for that. Thanks again for the hard work.
gene_golf

Post by gene_golf »

Looking at link gave before from Golf Digest about PGA at Southern Hills looks as cannot get into it anymore unless pay online subscription.
dko

Post by dko »

Here is a quote about hole 10 from the article posted by gene_golf (who apparently used up his free previews, as have I now):

"The putting surface, one of the most severe on the course, is canted to the left toward a shaved bank that slides toward another indigenous creek." The article also states that the stimp is going to be 11 or 12, so not exceedingly fast (MC/MC?).

The same article said that while the rough won't be as gnarly as in the past, it's still pretty lush. I'll never understand why some users complain about "severe" rough. IMO, there should be some challenge to the game that regular rough does not provide (all it does it remove spin from the shot.)

For some reason, the hole handicaps apparently didn't make it to the beta except for holes 1 and 2. I just don't know how many users actually use them.

Glenn puts a lot of time (and some money for Strakaline) into his courses to make them as real as possible. Criticism like the above has got to be galling.

Maximus has some reasonable points (especially about hole 16). The PGA will be played to a par of 70.

And one last piece from the article:

“You can go out and hit 18 greens and two-putt each one and shoot 70 and be disappointed because you feel like you should’ve shot 64.” I believe that speaks to the nature of the greens.
Doug