Process to Display Recorded Games in YouTube

Having hardware or software problems related to Links? Other forum members may be able to help you here.
Bit Left

Process to Display Recorded Games in YouTube

Post by Bit Left »

Can anyone enlighten me re. how to take recorded play segments and convert them (presumably) to display in YouTube type formats (mkv, wmv, mp4 etc.) This is something I for sure have seen done - many times - but no idea how.

But... What I'm really after is a way to create a compilation of Saved Shots. I realize I can't play these unless I have the course installed in which all the greatness took place. Ideally, to avoid having multiple courses installed just to relive the moment, my hope was to 'record' each shot in a non .SHT format, and pull them all together using a video editor. I know, too grandiose. But some of them are really good! I tried to convince my ex of that all those years ago. No luck. :clapping:

Maybe better to just go play another round with The Way We Were as background? Any ideas appreciated.
Adelade

Re: Process to Display Recorded Games in YouTube

Post by Adelade »

Might depend on what format your original files are or what program you use to create them, but there are probably multiple ways to convert. Either there is a way to export to one of the file formats you want within that program you use to create them (you could google search "how to make .MP4 files within [X program]", or else you can just google search "[file format you have] into MP4", and you might get a bunch of results of free websites that can convert the files for you, or else you can try download some file converter program - I used to use Format Factory for some stuff like that long ago, it is free but I havent used it in ages so I dont know if its still good or not, and your file format needs to be among the supported ones by such a program.
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
Andy
Site Admin

Post by Andy »

How about using Fraps or something similar to capture the screen as you play the recorded shots and then edit out any bits you don't need.

I have no experience myself of doing this but I'm sure it should be possible.
Bit Left

Post by Bit Left »

Thanks to both. I see where you are headed with this. I just did a search for Fraps. Well! It "hasn't been updated since February of 2013". My goodness! They don't know what 'old' is until they come round to LC and see what we're doing, is what I say. There's also something called Bandicam - a descendent of Fraps, so I have some digging to do. Between rounds, mind you.
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

Oh my bad I assumed you already had recorded video, but I see now that you meant the in-Links recordings. I used to use Fraps long ago but yeah they sadly stopped supporting it. There are many options but Im not the best person to give recommendations, I used Ezvid a while ago because I wanted something really quick and simple, it did the job but I wasnt particularly happy with it since it seemed quite slow at processing the video and had annoying music that for some stupid reason couldnt be removed without getting hold of and importing a silent sound file in place of it...
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
Danny D

Post by Danny D »

Hi Bit Left...

I use a program called "MOVAVI Screen Capture." It's not free, but it's not real expensive. It will capture anything on your screen, including movies, and save it in multiple video formats that you can edit. Back when I purchased it, it was version 7 for Windows 7. There have been several updates since I bought it. I think there is a newer version for Windows 11. You can go here to see what it's all about and get a free trial period to try it out if you want. I have made quite a few APCD tutorials with it, and I like the program.

As a side note, I also do Karaoke, and I capture Karaoke videos from YouTube. Not only can you save the video, but you can simply just capture the audio alone and save that in multiple audio formats. For example, I capture and save a Karaoke tune in a .WAV format, and then use "Audacity" to record my Karaoke tune.

https://movavi-screen-capture-studio.so ... r.com/7.0/

Best wishes,

Dan
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
Fictitious Courses: Northern Lakes - Golfcom Tees
Southern Oaks - Hometown 9 hole real course with a fictitious back 9 added
Bit Left

Post by Bit Left »

Danny D wrote: May 5th, 2022, 2:35 am Hi Bit Left...

I use a program called "MOVAVI Screen Capture." It's not free, but it's not real expensive. It will capture anything on your screen, including movies, and save it in multiple video formats that you can edit. Back when I purchased it, it was version 7 for Windows 7. There have been several updates since I bought it. I think there is a newer version for Windows 11. You can go here to see what it's all about and get a free trial period to try it out if you want. I have made quite a few APCD tutorials with it, and I like the program.

As a side note, I also do Karaoke, and I capture Karaoke videos from YouTube. Not only can you save the video, but you can simply just capture the audio alone and save that in multiple audio formats. For example, I capture and save a Karaoke tune in a .WAV format, and then use "Audacity" to record my Karaoke tune.

https://movavi-screen-capture-studio.so ... r.com/7.0/

Best wishes,

Dan
Thanks for this addition to the list of possibilities and continuing to broaden my horizons. At some point in the next Lifetime I'm setting time aside to learn more about APCD and will look for you there. Always wondered how on-screen How To's were done. I should have just Googled it I guess, but this has been way more fun. Happy tuning!
migolfer

Post by migolfer »

Have you considered using Xbox Game Bar which comes built-in to Windows?
The recorded files may be lossless (AVI?) and potentially HUGE. You could always convert them to MP4. I like using FFMPEG to convert between video file formats, but be forewarned, it's not a user-friendly app. (The downloads page says, "FFmpeg has always been a very experimental and developer-driven project. It is a key component in many multimedia projects and has new features added constantly.")

Will this capture the Links game screen? Have not tried it.