Search: Too Common Word(s)

If you have issues accessing any part of Links Corner this is the forum for you.
migolfer

Search: Too Common Word(s)

Post by migolfer »

While trying to find old posts about the Wakonda golf course in the forums, I got this as my search result:
The following words in your search query were ignored because they are too common words: wakonda.

How is that too common of a word? "a", "the", "it", I could see, but Wakonda??
  • Is it possible to do an advanced search and "[x] Include Common Words in Search"?
  • Can the list of Common Words be published so we can vote on what should be excluded? (or included?)
  • Can someone (Andy?) review that list and pick out words that should not be included?
Adelade

Re: Search: Too Common Word(s)

Post by Adelade »

A problem I run into a lot as well... In my case Im usually trying to find some old post I had in mind, and then after some thinking I often manage to remember something else to search for along with it, which tends to help. There is an advanced search interface which you can try, but I cant say whether it will help you in this case or not, access it by for example clicking "Search" at the top beside "Board Index" after a failed search.

I tried to figure out some additional terms to search for without having to go through the advanced search to bring up the old main Wakonda thread (which I know still exists because I can find it in the Course subforum on 2nd to last page) but nothing I could think of trying worked! At least not unless wanting to sift through 30 pages of results.
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
Andy
Site Admin

Post by Andy »

I've altered the setting that decides whether words are 'common' or not so Wakonda searches produce results now.
Danny D

Post by Danny D »

migolfer wrote: September 17th, 2021, 2:28 pm While trying to find old posts about the Wakonda golf course in the forums, I got this as my search result:

The following words in your search query were ignored because they are too common words: wakonda.
Hi Migolfer. I am the designer of Wakonda. Do you have any specific questions about it?

Dan
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
Fictitious Courses: Northern Lakes - Golfcom Tees
Southern Oaks - Hometown 9 hole real course with a fictitious back 9 added
migolfer

Post by migolfer »

Andy wrote: September 17th, 2021, 8:54 pm I've altered the setting that decides whether words are 'common' or not so Wakonda searches produce results now.
#ty
success.png
success.png (15.67 KiB) Viewed 6805 times
migolfer

Post by migolfer »

Danny D wrote: September 18th, 2021, 4:53 am I am the designer of Wakonda. Do you have any specific questions about it?
Dan
Nope, I just played it for the first time the other day and was greatly pleased. I figured that this course must have been discussed with much gusto in this forum and I wanted to read about it.

Random thought about it: Ian (justifiably) received a lot of acclaim about the off-course homes/buildings/roads for Pasatiempo -- an equal amount of praise should be given to that effort on Wakonda too. Well done!
Danny D

Post by Danny D »

migolfer wrote: September 18th, 2021, 1:11 pm
Danny D wrote: September 18th, 2021, 4:53 am I am the designer of Wakonda. Do you have any specific questions about it?
Dan
Nope, I just played it for the first time the other day and was greatly pleased. I figured that this course must have been discussed with much gusto in this forum and I wanted to read about it.

Random thought about it: Ian (justifiably) received a lot of acclaim about the off-course homes/buildings/roads for Pasatiempo -- an equal amount of praise should be given to that effort on Wakonda too. Well done!
Thanks for the nice words Mi. If you think there are a lot of homes and buildings at Wakonda, check out the one I did just before that. The National Golf Club of Kansas City. http://linkscoursefiles.co.uk/C2013f/2454.zip
It's a real course that winds thru a subdivision. I went all-out on this course. I think it might be the course with the most houses, buildings and bridges. LOL! I tried to replicate the entire neighborhood and course. I also added several sounds, including traffic, water lapping around the edges of lakes, water trickling when you're near a drainage ditch, a bird loop that repeats every 5 minutes, so you don't have to listen to repetitive bird tweets, bullfrogs near the lakes, and a dog that barks every once in a while. It was on that course where I began to add entire neighborhoods. :smile: I have the StrackaLine green books that I plan to add when I get finished with Coeur d'Alene.

Thanks again :cheers1:

Dan
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
Fictitious Courses: Northern Lakes - Golfcom Tees
Southern Oaks - Hometown 9 hole real course with a fictitious back 9 added
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

I know that's off-topic but as far as words are concerned I'm sick of "iconic".
migolfer

Post by migolfer »

Jimbo wrote: September 18th, 2021, 7:47 pm I know that's off-topic but as far as words are concerned I'm sick of "iconic".
Don't get me started on pet-peeve words. How about this one, it makes me wince every time I hear it (which is all the time): "amazing"
:whip: :rant: :wallbash:
migolfer

Post by migolfer »

Danny D wrote: September 18th, 2021, 2:23 pm If you think there are a lot of homes and buildings at Wakonda, check out the one I did just before that. The National Golf Club of Kansas City.
Dan
Hey, I do not have that one downloaded! Remedying that right now!...

There are so many in the database, I must have overlooked that one. Or I may have it confused with Kansas National Golf Club (Paul Woodbury + Kevin Tobin), which I have on my mostly highly rated list. https://linkscorner.org/courses/course.php?crz=1625

#thx