2003 Links Disc 3 Installation

Announce and discuss forthcoming and recent course releases or request beta help from members.
EarleH

2003 Links Disc 3 Installation

Post by EarleH »

Forgive me, I'm 89 and get a little confused. I've been having Links 2003 on my PC. but my daughter gave me a laptop with win 10. I installed discs 1 and 2 no trouble. Disc 3 seems that I'm confused as to which of these will install autorun, Setup, or SETUPENUDLL. I have tried all, but this thing is slow and I don't know which one is correct. Any help would be appreciated. Earle
Danny D

Re: 2003 Links Disc 3 Installation

Post by Danny D »

EarleH wrote: November 27th, 2019, 7:58 pm Forgive me, I'm 89 and get a little confused. I've been having Links 2003 on my PC. but my daughter gave me a laptop with win 10. I installed discs 1 and 2 no trouble. Disc 3 seems that I'm confused as to which of these will install autorun, Setup, or SETUPENUDLL. I have tried all, but this thing is slow and I don't know which one is correct. Any help would be appreciated. Earle
Hi Earl...
If all you want to do is play golf, you won't need to install anything from disc 3. It contains the older course converters, and the APCD (Arnold Palmer Course Designer) that the designers use to create the new courses that you play nowadays. If you aren't planning on building any new courses, you won't need the APCD...

One more thing Earl. Many people can't run Links 2003 on some laptops with Windows 10, so you may not be able to make it work, unless you are computer savvy. Hopefully it will run for you. There are tips here on the forums on how to deal with Windows 10 issues. You may need to try some of those tips, depending what issues you may run into.

Hope that helps, and good luck!

Dan
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
Fictitious Courses: Northern Lakes - Golfcom Tees
Southern Oaks - Hometown 9 hole real course with a fictitious back 9 added
EarleH

Post by EarleH »

I don't know, the only thing so far is that I get the message you must log in with administrator privileges. I guess that I'm lucking, I still have it on my desktop. I have never really hated anything, but I hate Microsoft win 10. The two things I really enjoyed on the computer was Links and xp solitaire, need I say more! Thank you for your reply, I'll have to see what happens when I find out how to get administrator privileges. Thanks again, Earle
chad

Post by chad »

You may want to install Links outside of the Program Files directory. Microsoft has that folder and sub-folders locked down like Fort Knox.
Danny D

Post by Danny D »

EarleH wrote: November 28th, 2019, 11:44 am I don't know, the only thing so far is that I get the message you must log in with administrator privileges. I guess that I'm lucking, I still have it on my desktop. I have never really hated anything, but I hate Microsoft win 10. The two things I really enjoyed on the computer was Links and xp solitaire, need I say more! Thank you for your reply, I'll have to see what happens when I find out how to get administrator privileges. Thanks again, Earle
Hi again Earl...
I'm not the best person to help you with Windows 10 issues, since I've never used Windows 10 yet, but try what Chad suggested. You need to go about things in the right order. Do this.

UNINSTALL Links2003, and then restart the computer.
Next, run the Links installation again, and when it stops on the place where it suggests installing it in a folder that they suggest, manually change it to install in C:\Links2003. Doing that should place the files and folders in folders that you should be able to locate easier. Just install discs 1 and 2. Don't even insert disc 3. You won't need it.

:rules: IMPORTANT! :rules: When you finish the new installation into the new folder location, be absolutely sure to install all of the necessary patches. Those patches are all extremely important for the proper functioning of Links2003. Don't even attempt to start a game until these patches are installed. Once you get them installed, try to start a game, and then come back here and tell us if the game works for you. If you have a problem, be as detailed as possible about what is happening. Someone here will most likely be able to get you up and running. These guys at pretty sharp at making this old golf game still work, no matter HOW hard Microsoft has tried to kill it with Windows 10... :rant:

Here are the patches that I use. Read the included text file on how to install them. If you have any question, just ask.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/zw8vgi53jo08t ... S.zip?dl=0

Good luck,

Dan
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
Fictitious Courses: Northern Lakes - Golfcom Tees
Southern Oaks - Hometown 9 hole real course with a fictitious back 9 added
Daniel

Post by Daniel »

Earl if you right click on the Links launcher and go to properties click the compatibilities button at the top,you put a tick in run has administrator .You can also in there if you need to, set the game to play as if it was in Windows 7 mode or Windows XP with service pack 3.Maybe that might help you to get the game running correctly on Windows 10.
derricksummers

Post by derricksummers »

Hi Earl :wallbash: I know just how you feel. I gave Microsoft up a long time ago they
are not interested in how older programs work they are only interested in bringing
out new crap systems and making money on them. When my old computer packed in
I got one running Vista, that soon went in the bin.I tried other systems but had endless
trouble running older programs, I ended up buying an Instalation disc from Dell for
XP with sevice pack 3. I was running Skype at that time and all sorts of problems kept
comming up, files went missing and programs did funny things, I found out that
Skype and XP were not good friends so I wiped it of and have had no trouble since.
The only trouble with XP is that it will only take a certain amount of Memory but this
is no problem as I only have a few programs that I use, and my drive is only half full.
I am a bit younger than you, only managed 84 up to now but the old brain does not
like anything complicated.I once asked who said I was stupid ? and they said Everyone
:dunno: :bookh: :cheers1: :yes:
Hope you get things working
Derrick
mickydavies

Post by mickydavies »

I haven't been on here for a while - health issues - but to continue using Links 2003 a couple of years ago I had a desktop p/c built running Windows 10 which wasn't overly expensive, so I would recommend that. But there were guidelines on the old forum which I can't access any longer specifying the type of motherboard to use. That was before choosing a video card. Can anyone let me know what that said? I ask this now as in a couple of years I will want another desktop p/c if I am still breathing...
pmgolf

Post by pmgolf »

I just built my desktop PC and I used the following:

AMD Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor
Gigabyte X470 AORUS ULTRA GAMING ATX AM4 Motherboard
Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1 TB 2.5 Inch SATA III Internal SSD
Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-2666 Memory
Seagate FireCuda 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Hybrid Internal Hard Drive
Asus GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4 GB Phoenix Video Card
Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case
Corsair CXM 650 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply
LG WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer
Windows 10 Pro

I've been reading that Intel motherboards have onboard graphics, which some people have trouble with (laptops) when running Links. Links runs great on this setup. That's the primary reason I chose the GTX 1050 Ti video card. A litttle older than some, but great for Links.

Pete
Still Linksing

Post by Still Linksing »

mickydavies wrote: January 9th, 2020, 5:14 pm I ask this now as in a couple of years I will want another desktop p/c if I am still breathing...
Ask again in a couple of years. Win 10 changes so much that any advice given now could be completely wrong in 2 years time.
For all the old golf games visit:
Golf Sim Clubhouse