Random Crashes - Some Hi-Res courses

Having hardware or software problems related to Links? Other forum members may be able to help you here.
lyate2004

Random Crashes - Some Hi-Res courses

Post by lyate2004 »

First, I am deeply grateful to all the course designers who give so freely of their time and talents - for our enjoyment!

That said, I am a linkster who played Links in its earliest windows days - and recently rediscovered, downloaded and am playing on a modern computer, i.e., Lenovo Yoga 9 series 14" laptop (Yoga 9 ITL5). Needed to install DGVoodoo, nvidia patch, etc. to make it work. Most course play flawlessly (or perhaps a random, occasional crash), but these high res courses (and perhaps a few others) are largely unplayable because of persistent, frequent crashes: PGA National, Liberty National, and Chambers Bay. Any thoughts on a workaround or fix would be greatly appreciated. (Note: I have changed resolutions, disabled shadows, flag animation, top camera, etc. - all to no avail)!

Many thanks!

LIY
Adelade

Re: Random Crashes - Some Hi-Res courses

Post by Adelade »

Do you usually get any kind of error message when it crashes - or just the standard gray box asking if you want to restart Links?

Also, have you noticed any pattern in when the crashes occur? For example, while Links renders a new scene, while bringing up the green analyzer, or just after doing your swing and about to view it execute.

I think I've heard that sound can cause crashes, forgot exactly what was recommended then but you could try a new soundscript or disable certain sounds in the settings. I have very rare crashes now and then (maybe once per 20 rounds or so) but I dont think I've had any on those 3 courses. PGA National loads relatively slowly for everyone and I know there are a lot of planted grasses on Liberty and Chambers all around, so possibly some part of your computer specs could be close to bottlenecking? (I didnt look your model up so I dont know, but I think most people dont experience crashes nearly as often as you on those courses, so it could be a possibility)

There are two relatively similar versions of Liberty National, if you're lucky the other one might work better for you.
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
gator

Post by gator »

lyate2004 wrote: July 12th, 2021, 2:07 pm ...playing on a modern computer, i.e., Lenovo Yoga 9 series 14" laptop (Yoga 9 ITL5). Needed to install DGVoodoo, nvidia patch, etc. to make it work...
I notice you didn't list the 1.07 patch in the list of "needed to install". As that is a requirement to play the high resolution courses, just wondering if you have installed that particular patch?
lyate2004

Post by lyate2004 »

Yes - 1.07 patch installed. Mostly getting the LInks gray box to restart, although on Chambers Bay getting a memory error dialog.

No pattern - can happen during swing, or, on PGA National, when loading (rendering) first hole. Thought the top camera rendering was a cause, and turning off top camera does seem to help a little.

Will try playing with sound scripts to see if that helps!

Note: Most of the other LInks 2003T high res courses are playing flawlessly!

LIY
lyate2004

Post by lyate2004 »

FWIW, playing with the sound scripts and sound settings did not help.

Liberty National plays fine; Liberty National President's Cup Edition does not.

Some high res courses that play just fine include Bethpage Black, Dornnoch, Shinecock Hills, Augusta, TPC Sawgrass, and many others!

Thought perhaps that changing some settings in the DGVoodoo control panel might help - but it didn't.

Any other suggestions gratefully accepted!

LIY
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

lyate2004 wrote: July 12th, 2021, 10:55 pmAny other suggestions gratefully accepted!
Sorry somehow forgot to reply with this thought earlier. Have you checked your available memory (RAM) while playing Links? If you have other programs running that you could close before starting Links it might help (even if you're not fully running out of RAM).

Also, possibly you could look into graphics drivers, both update and if you care enough to, you could try older ones.
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...