laptop

Having hardware or software problems related to Links? Other forum members may be able to help you here.
geocacher

laptop

Post by geocacher »

I am trying to install the Links Program on to a laptop. I already have it on a desktop and it works great.

I installed both of the Links2K3_down and the Links2K3_players file.

When I click on the desktop shortcut to launch the game, it reduces to a window, which is normal. The I get a message saying:

"the minimum resolution required by Links is 800 by 600. The current resolution is less than this. Links will now exit"

The desktop resolution is 1600 by 900. If I cannot get into Links to adjust the in game resolution, how can I change it if the game cant continue to load?
pmgolf

Re: laptop

Post by pmgolf »

Run the nVidia Patch, regardless of the type of video card you have. You may need to do more stuff to get your video straight, but that's for later.

Pete
geocacher

Post by geocacher »

I ran the Nvidea patch and the exact same thing happened when trying to launch the game. I just noticed that the patch says _nvidia_win_7. My computer is Windows 10.
geocacher

Post by geocacher »

After reading a few other threads, Seems like laptops aren't Links friendly. FYI, my laptop is Intel i5 12 gig memory. In the device settings under video adaptors, it says AMD Radeon r7 M440 and under that it says Intel(r) UHD Graphics 620.

This wasn't an entry level laptop. Been there, done that
Blade

Post by Blade »

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=788
This is the Sticky in Tech Corner - give it a try nothing to lose

Cheers

David
nickpasich

Post by nickpasich »

So, I went through the procedure to install the Direct3Dfix. I installed the 3 DLLs and placed them in my Links folder. I then ran the dgvoodooCpl.exe file and checked to see that it matched the configuration shown in imgur.com/cDIOBh5.
Once I launched Links, nothing had changed. It never did get as far as the splash screen that shows the video mode. It stopped like it had before saying that the video mode of 800 by 600 wasn't supported and that Links would now exit.

Im willing to let someone remote in using Team viewer it they think they can help me.

Thanks
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

Do you have any custom compatibility settings? (To access them, right click LinksLauncher.exe or LinksMMIII.exe (or both) > Properties > Compatibility)

The Direct3Dfix is supposed to work without compatibility settings I believe, but if you dont have anything there ticked already, doesnt hurt to try some of them I guess?

And if that fails, maybe check out the registry edit? viewtopic.php?f=4&t=478
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
gator

Post by gator »

If Adelade's suggestion doesn't work, you might try reading this thread over at LSPN, https://www.lspn.net/community/viewtopi ... =7&t=11982, and try Armand's suggestion which is the 12th post down. It is similar to the one mentioned by Adelade (and is written by the same individual) but it focuses specifically on the error message you are encountering.
geocacher

Post by geocacher »

Ok, I tried both of the suggestions. First I went to the LinksLauncher app and brought up compatibility mode and tried each box, one at a time and launched Links. Same result. The game wouldn't get passed the 800 by 600 message.

I tried the same thing on theLinksMMI property tab. Same result.

So I then went through the regedit idea. The first time when I got to the Mode change to change it from 0 to 3 it didn't stick. So I tried it a few more times and the 3 stayed in place. However when I went to play the game, same result as above.

I JUST NOW went back into the regediter and checked and the 3 is missing again. I don't see any where in the registry editor to save a change.
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

Mode 3 seems to be 1280 x 1024, and you mentioned your native resolution was 1600 x 900, so that is probably why it wont work? Try 11 or 10 or 5 maybe? 10 and 5 seem to match your aspect ratio. I dont know which one wouldbe best for you, someone else might know that, but you can follow my link from my last post and try ones that arent greater than 1600 x 900.
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...