Dreaded "minimum screen resolution" problem

Having hardware or software problems related to Links? Other forum members may be able to help you here.
btasm

Dreaded "minimum screen resolution" problem

Post by btasm »

Attempting to install Links 2003 on a new desktop and laptop from discs. However, I get the following message:

"The minimum screen resolution required by Links is 800x600. The current resolution is less than this. Links will now exit."

I've read all the posts I can find on this issue without success. Tried adding to the video txt card as recommended here and at Links Country Club but no luck.

On laptop, I get no further that this message. On desktop, game installs and runs, but graphics are askew (e.g. after player swings, golfer disappears; aiming marker doesn't appear, etc.) Additionally, on desktop, in Graphics Settings, Device and Display mode are blank, but when I scroll to video card and set it, I get the "minimum screen resolution" message and must exit. (Also it's stuck in "window" rather than "full screen" mode.)

Played Links for many years and recall having this problem (I think) in the distant past but no memory of how to resolve.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
pmgolf

Re: Dreaded "minimum screen resolution" problem

Post by pmgolf »

Run the nVidia patch - regardless of whether or not you have a nVidia card.

Are you installing from Links CD's or downloaded Links installer? New to Links?

Pete
btasm

Post by btasm »

Old to Links but new computers. From CDs. Have installed 1.07 and Nvidia patch (with Nvidia). Still no go.
pmgolf

Post by pmgolf »

A lot of technology has changed since Links came out. Those installation CD's don't take any of that into consideration. You can avoid all the headaches and workarounds by taking my recommendation: pay $6.99 and download it here:

https://www.linkscountryclub.com/prosho ... ad-version

Help and instructions on that site, too. Then you can use LinksCorner to download hundreds of free, excellent courses.

Pete
GoBucks

Post by GoBucks »

What resolution are you running on the desktop? In Links, have you gone to the graphics menu and set a resolution?
No matter where you go, there you are.
btasm

Post by btasm »

Unfortunately, on desktop, that's the nub. When I start Links, go to Options then Graphic Settings, Device and Display options are blank. When I then choose my videocard, I get the screen resolution message and am blocked from going further.

pmgolf: As to the downloaded version, it seems to be identical to discs and I essentially have every Access/Microsoft Links course, so I'm thinking that won't help.
GoBucks

Post by GoBucks »

What is the resolution of your system running? Forget about Links for now.
btasm

Post by btasm »

Unfortunately, I don't have access to the desktop now. But I did resolve the laptop issue (sort of).

I found the attached thread (below) at LSPN which addressed this issue. It requires a change in the registry entry (Mode=3), which I made, and it allowed Links 2003 to function on the laptop.

https://www.lspn.net/community/viewtopi ... 91920x1200)

However, once started, there was a significant graphics anomaly - the Links background covered the top third of the screen. After a further search both here and at LSPN, I discovered a thread recommending renaming the Skies folder to Skies.bak. This cleared the anomaly but prevents use of skies other than clear. I am also on the laptop unable to see the aiming marker in the Top Cam window, although the yardage appears where the marker is placed.

Now I need to work on the desktop which will be the go to for Links.
pmgolf

Post by pmgolf »

When you came here looking for help, I didn't realize that you already knew all the answers. Those of us here who try to help have encountered that before - many times. Good luck to you!

Pete
GoBucks

Post by GoBucks »

Did you ever run the Nvidia patch?