New computer frustrating install story.

Having hardware or software problems related to Links? Other forum members may be able to help you here.
JohnPatO

New computer frustrating install story.

Post by JohnPatO »

After building a new Intel 10th generation system with an RX 5500XT video card, I was reaching the limit of my patience trying to install Links. I dual booted with Windows 8.1 and tried an install there with no luck, so went back to installing in Windows 10. With each game launch I either had a not responding Links file or crashed back to the desktop or a blank screen. Not one to give up I uninstalled the game and tried a new tactic. I installed Links with the 1.07 patch but did NOT install the Nvidia patch. Then edited the videocard.txt file to include my 5500XT GPU. That edit file took some trial and error before the file seemed to work. With the next launch...success. The only quirk is that 1 out of 10 times the game may not launch but 90% of the time it runs without a hitch. And if it does not launch, a simple retry of the program does the trick. What the cause may be, hard to say. Possibly the i5 10400 CPU or the new MB (MSI B460 Torpedo), or a driver conflict but at least with much frustration I got it to run. Hopefully this bit of information might help someone else. As for the videocard.txt edit, there is information in the Tech forum that spells out the procedure better than I could attempt. Basically it involves using information from the Dxdiag and adding it to the .txt file.
Danny D

Re: New computer frustrating install story.

Post by Danny D »

JohnPatO wrote: January 17th, 2021, 3:42 am The only quirk is that 1 out of 10 times the game may not launch but 90% of the time it runs without a hitch. And if it does not launch, a simple retry of the program does the trick.
I used to have a problem with having to launch Links2003 twice to get it to open. By default, the installation launch file uses the "LinksLauncher.exe" file. Someone told me to switch to launching the game using the "LinksMMIII.exe" file instead, and that solved my problem. I suggest you also give it a try and see if that stops your need to periodically launch it a second time. Just create a desktop shortcut to the "LinksMMIII.exe" and use it to start Links and see if that solves your problem...

Good luck,

Dan
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
Fictitious Courses: Northern Lakes - Golfcom Tees
Southern Oaks - Hometown 9 hole real course with a fictitious back 9 added
JohnPatO

Re: New computer frustrating install story.

Post by JohnPatO »

Thanks for the tip and I will let you know how it works!

EDIT:Thanks as that indeed seemed to do the trick. Launching like a charm every time..thanks again!