Direct Connect issues

Having hardware or software problems related to Links? Other forum members may be able to help you here.
Pancho

Direct Connect issues

Post by Pancho »

Asking for a friend: he can open Links and go straight into a game offline or on LSPN, but when he tries to create or join a direct connect game, it takes 30 - 40 minutes to open up. He has been playing Links for about 20 years without encountering this issue. His port forwarding is done correctly to the appropriate LAN address. Once the direct connect game finally opens, the game plays without problem (as long as no one's pc crashes requiring a resume). Any ideas?
FOOOOORE!

Re: Direct Connect issues

Post by FOOOOORE! »

I don't have a lot to offer, except he shouldn't assume the problem lies at his end, seeing as how he can connect online otherwise. His friend at the other end should also check to see whether he can connect to LSPN without problems. And also have the other guy initiate the direct connection. That might narrow things down.
AZWilly

Post by AZWilly »

No assumption at all...It's on my end. I can connect to lspn for games lickety split, but as soon as I hit the "Online/Direct Connection, it 'sort of' locks up for 5 minutes. Then it gets to the host page and after clicking host a game, it locks up again for 5 minutes. Better than the 20 minutes each a week ago, though. Thanks, anyway.
Willy
FOOOOORE!

Post by FOOOOORE! »

You could try switching to a different DNS server, the default ones provided tend to be slower. I did this years ago to speed up my connection, though not for Links specifically. Even if it doesn't solve your particular problem, it won't do any harm either. Here's a link explaining what to do:

https://www.komando.com/tech-tips/chang ... ds/378631/
AZWilly

Post by AZWilly »

Thanks for the idea. Changed to the Google address, but it made no difference. Thanks anyway, though! :cheers1:
chad

Post by chad »

This has come up a few times. Perhaps one of these will help?
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=860

Something was changed that caused it to just stop working. A new OS install or upgrade, new router, AV app...something. Newer routers have some decent safeguards that could make DC stop functioning.
chad

Post by chad »

You know...I bet a buck you just need to reboot your router and the issue would be resolved. I doubt the original starter of this thread will read this, but in case anyone else has a similar issue - I just encountered a similar issue this week. Rebooting my wireless router resolved things.
Last edited by chad on March 6th, 2021, 12:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Daniel

Post by Daniel »

After looking into this from all angles we discovered that his router was faulty. Playing in DMZ mode it works ok for a while but now and again he as to reset his router and put the DMZ back on.It does not work at all with just the ports open,we discovered that the last port to open 47624 was not working hence the fault he was getting.It was a new router a Netgear Nighthawk he needs to take it back to the shop and get it exchanged.Thank you to those who responded to the question :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: