Installing Windows 10 on iMAc IOS

Having hardware or software problems related to Links? Other forum members may be able to help you here.
Ian Wells

Installing Windows 10 on iMAc IOS

Post by Ian Wells »

As some of you are aware my good lady and I are lucky enough to spend the colder months with our daughter, and she allows me access to her iMac. I have heard that it is possible to use Boot Camp(?) to install Windows 10 on an iMac IOS.
Before I delve deeper into the possibility of making this happen are there any members who have experience of this, and if so, would they tell me if it worth pursuing, how difficult it will be and any system limitations? I do not have a disc of Windows 10. (Does anybody?)
I have used my laptop to create the previous two courses and the course I am working on, so this is not essential, but I just wonder how much better it would be to use APCD, and Links, with a 27” screen.
Any help/thoughts you may have will be gratefully received.
Ian
FOOOOORE!

Re: Installing Windows 10 on iMAc IOS

Post by FOOOOORE! »

I don't have experience with this, but there's a pretty good review here: https://mac-optimization.bestreviews.ne ... p-reviews/
They do mention needing a minimum of 40GB for the Windows partition that will be set up, and of course you will need a copy of Windows, which legally isn't permitted to be passed around. I've used countless emulations in the past (I have Blue Stacks running Android apps on my PC now), but the real McCoy is the way to go, and generally works better than an emulation. There's no guarantee you won't run into little problems with something as old as Links however; even running Links on a PC laptop can be difficult, and I doubt the Boot Camp designers tested with Links to make certain it works ok.
Ian Wells

Post by Ian Wells »

Thank for you comments.
I did use Boot Camp and the creating of the partition was a lot simpler than I had imagined.
I downloaded an official copy of Windows 10 and paid for the license. The installation is not perfect because the swap between IOS and Windows is not always trouble free.
I have downloaded APCD, (the one that DannyD uploaded) and though it reacts a lot slower than on my laptop it is workable.
I downloaded the Links 2003 from Links Country Club, as I do not have my discs with me, and after one attempt to run - it didn't. As I am busy with Wade Hampton and Peachtree I haven't had the time to investigate why it won't run.

If I get Links to run it will have been worth the effort. If not?

Ian
FOOOOORE!

Post by FOOOOORE! »

Good effort. There is always the risk with older software, because Microsoft (and most other companies) don't really care much about the old stuff, and won't spend the time and money to make sure everything is backward-compatible. You might want to try the compatibility settings for older versions of Windows (right-click on the .exe or shortcut > Properties > Compatibility > Run in compatibility mode for). Also check to see if Windows is trying to run it in the iMac's native resolution, which might be much higher than required.