Wondering if I should get new monitor

Having hardware or software problems related to Links? Other forum members may be able to help you here.
Larrycleve

Wondering if I should get new monitor

Post by Larrycleve »

I currently have HP Omen 27 with 165 hz refresh rate. Even with contrast set high it's sometimes hard to see subtle undulations on the green.
Are there any monitors that give close to photo sharpness? Is a 240 hz refresh rate something to consider? What factors should I look for. The number of monitors and the technical details is rather overwhelming.
john_iv

Re: Wondering if I should get new monitor

Post by john_iv »

Refresh rate for Links 2003 isn't really important, with its lack of movement.

Bear in mind though that Links 2003 tops out at 1920x1200 resolution fullscreen (1920x1080p more common), so if you buy a 1440p monitor or higher (4K) you will not be running in that native resolution when you kick off Links, it will mode switch and run the panel in 1920x1080 resolution with resulting 'softness'.

I ran into this with the purchase of the Samsung G5 32" which is a new 1440p panel. I now just run Links in a 1920x1200 window as seeing the softness/blur in 1920x1080 fullscreen bothered me, laugh.

Your most important non-monitor options to get best clarity is making sure you are running anisotropic filtering turned on in your video cards control panel, and set it to 16x. You can also kick on Anti-aliasing to smooth jaggies. AMD and NVIDIA cards have their own issues, see this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=369

Good luck -
Larrycleve

Re: Wondering if I should get new monitor

Post by Larrycleve »

I did get this monitor- ASUS ROG PG279Q . It is amazing. I can see individual blades of grass, and playing powerstroke I'm hitting the snap much more consistently.