Links 2003 w/ Intel-Only Graphics or Intel + Nvidia Graphics - Solution Found

Having hardware or software problems related to Links? Other forum members may be able to help you here.
Jimbo

Re: Links 2003 w/ Intel-Only Graphics or Intel + Nvidia Graphics - Solution Found

Post by Jimbo »

Blade wrote: September 26th, 2020, 2:46 am A year ago I bought a Lenovo Legion Y520 i7 with Both an Intel HD 630 & an Nvidia Gforce GTX 1050 Video Cards, could not run Links at all as it always defaulted to the Intel Card - Now after running your Fix - Woo Hoo it now runs as good as my Desktop PC :notworthy:

Thanks Andy
From the sound of things a lot of us have had the same experience with this great game!
Between health and relocation across the continent Links just disappeared from my life,,,luckily I hung onto my Window 7 "monster box"...it sometimes gives me grief (check last month's adventure but th game never leaves you...especially when you can't get tickets for a Bills game (or get to the mainland to see our Lions).

Not for the real reason for this post-Blade, please tell me that it isn't a Collingwood Magpie logo in your picture! If so, we can't be friends and will have to take this discussion to a different thread... :nono:
Pancho

Re: Links 2003 w/ Intel-Only Graphics or Intel + Nvidia Graphics - Solution Found

Post by Pancho »

Just bought a used Win 10 pc that uses Intel HD 630 integrated graphics (i5 7600, 24GB RAM) using a driver from 7/2022. I have everything set up and working, except that the area above the horizon is not rendering. Also not seeing the ball flight on the main display and only intermittently on the overhead display. Is this something that the Direct3Dfix will address? I have Directx 12, if that matters. Until I get this worked out, I will continue playing on my Win 7 pc that has Intel HD 4000 working quite well for the last ten years.
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

Pancho wrote: January 21st, 2023, 6:45 am Just bought a used Win 10 pc that uses Intel HD 630 integrated graphics (i5 7600, 24GB RAM) using a driver from 7/2022. I have everything set up and working, except that the area above the horizon is not rendering. Also not seeing the ball flight on the main display and only intermittently on the overhead display. Is this something that the Direct3Dfix will address? I have Directx 12, if that matters. Until I get this worked out, I will continue playing on my Win 7 pc that has Intel HD 4000 working quite well for the last ten years.
Yes those are the exact descriptions of what this solution tends to fix :smile: Well, except the ball flight in the main display, which I dont remember it fixing, but perhaps? Otherwise, there are a couple settings which can make the ball flight more visible - Ball size can be set in Settings > Game Settings, and you can add / remove a tracer comet line to the ball flight either in the dynamic camera or all cameras, but it seems you can only change that while being at a course - then from the menu bar at the bottom of the screen pick Display > Tracer
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
Pancho

Post by Pancho »

Yay! I've got the sky again. I notice there are now 4 dll's to install. When executing the enclosed application, it had me extract all the files to a new folder Direct3Dfix. Now that I've done the fix, do I need to keep that folder where it's currently at? May I move it? May I delete it? Thanks so much.

Oh, and it only took a minor adjustment in resolution to get the ball flight fully visible again.
OllieW

Post by OllieW »

Just to say thank you so much for this. I'm back on Links (and Links Corner - I reviewed a course or two in my teenage years!!) after a long time away on a Mac and it's like seeing an old friend. I feared my Surface Laptop Studio wouldn't play it when the sky didn't work but I'm so glad it is now.
KennyD

Post by KennyD »

I just bought a new HP all in one computer running WIN11 on a intel I7 processor with an Nvidia GeForce RTX 3050 video card. I installed links 2k3 and the 107 patch. The game starts but the graphics are all messed up and the curser wipes out the graphics as it moves. Can anyone tell me how to fix this.
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

First step is getting the Nvidia patch viewtopic.php?f=4&t=10

If the problem persists after that, make sure you're on a 32-bit display mode instead of a 16-bit one. In Links > Options > Graphics Settings. Unless you are using the registry edit, in which case you instead go there to set Depth to 1.
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
KennyD

Post by KennyD »

Downloaded the patch and installed it. When I go to options it shows intel(R) UHD Graphics 770 under device. Shouldn't this show Nvidia? Display mode is 1920 x 1080 x 32 bit.
pmgolf

Post by pmgolf »

Sounds like there is a miscommunication going on between Links and your PC. I would think it would mention Nvidia if it could find it. Maybe someone else will know.

Pete
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

KennyD wrote: December 5th, 2023, 5:59 pm Downloaded the patch and installed it. When I go to options it shows intel(R) UHD Graphics 770 under device. Shouldn't this show Nvidia? Display mode is 1920 x 1080 x 32 bit.
Did you check out the first post in this thread?