Running Links Extreme on Windows 10 query

Having hardware or software problems related to Links? Other forum members may be able to help you here.
Slattery

Running Links Extreme on Windows 10 query

Post by Slattery »

Good morning,

After several attempts, I have almost got Links Extreme running on Windows 10.
I have got to the the stage where I can get the game to install and it is just about to start when I get an error pop up saying "Direct Draw INIT failed".
Has anyone managed to get around this error and get the game to run?
Thank you
woody4077

Re: Running Links Extreme on Windows 10 query

Post by woody4077 »

i'd love to get a copy of this lost mine during one of several moves in the last two decades.

not sure what the error message is did you google it?
Slattery

Post by Slattery »

I actually got it running but it crashes during the first hole all the time. Oh well.
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

Guessing it is graphics card or graphics settings related? Direct Draw... DirectX? Cant think of anything else except, well Im sure it sucks to hear but have a think about if you're absolutely sure you set up everything correctly :dunno:
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
g3b

Post by g3b »

Okay folks, I guess I am just a 'dummy'. What is Links Extreme. Am currently running Links 03 with 1.07 & Nvidia patch.

Thanks,
g3b
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

I just Googled it...it was released by Access and looks more like a "video game" than the software that we know and love. That probably explains things😄
Baggins

Post by Baggins »

Extreme looked very choppy compared. It was more a novelty than an extension of Links...it was also there to complete our collection.
Howie97

Post by Howie97 »

Did you try running it with dgVoodoo like is suggested in the first post in this forum for laptop issues with Intel and Nvidia graphics? I think it will run with that. I had Links Extreme as well probably tucked away in a box of old games somewhere.....
"Behold the Golfer. He riseth up early in the morning and disturbeth the whole household. Mighty are his preparations. He goeth forth full of hope, and when the day is spent, he returneth smelling of strong drink, & the truth is not in him."