Game running in slow motion

Having hardware or software problems related to Links? Other forum members may be able to help you here.
billw

Game running in slow motion

Post by billw »

I load the game and it runs in slow motion. Win 7 computer. Any solutions?

billw
pmgolf

Re: Game running in slow motion

Post by pmgolf »

My first thought is have you loaded any new software lately - or have you added or replaced any hardware on your PC. Second thing would be to get a new graphics driver and try it, and if that doesn't fix the problem, revert to an older video driver to see if it changes anything. (There are sites for people looking for drivers.) Third thought - applied any windows updates lately?

Pete
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

Yea your system's performance sounds to be lacking, it may be only temporarily (have you run Links on the same system before without this problem?). One common reason would be running resource-heavy tasks at the same time as Links (check Task manager), another example is running a laptop on a lower power mode (such as battery mode - without being plugged in). If it's a permanent problem you may be able to get it running faster by using lower graphics settings for Links, such as lower resolution or a lower Picture Quality setting within Links' options.
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
FOOOOORE!

Post by FOOOOORE! »

I had this problem a couple of weeks ago (Win10), and a few other weird things like the splash screen showing up the moment I hit a shot, top view camera not visible. I ended up simply re-installing Links and that fixed it. I'm constantly installing and removing software, so problems are bound to occur sooner or later.
gator

Post by gator »

There were some instructions regarding a possible solution to slow motion on the old forum. I found the same instructions over on the Links Country Club site - https://www.linkscountryclub.com/help/l ... low-motion.

Below are the instructions from that link (worth a try even if you aren't using an ATI graphics card). Also, you may want to make a copy of your videocard.txt file first in case you want to reset:

While playing Links 2003 some people with certain ATI graphics cards have experienced problems with the game acting as if it's in slow motion. Graphics cards known to exhibit this problem include older ATI Radeons.

The solution is to add your video card to the Links videocard.txt file. Here's how:

1. Determine the Device ID for your video adapter in the Dxdiag.txt file.

● Click on Start
● Click on Run
● Type DXDIAG.EXE and click Ok
● When DirectX Diagnosis comes up click on Save All Information. That will save a file called dxdiag.txt to your desktop
● Exit the DirectX Diagnostic Tool
● On your desktop, open the dxdiag.txt file that you just saved
● Under the 'Display Devices' section look for the Device ID value for your video card. For example, 0x5656. Write down this value.

2. Add the Device ID for your video card to the videocard.txt file.

● Open My Computer
● Browse to your Links 2003 folder
○ Probably C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Links 2003 or C:\Program Files\2k Games\Links 2003
● Open the videocard.txt file.
● Locate the following line in the videocard.txt file
○ Vendor = 0x1002 "ATI".
● Move down to the end of the ATI section. The last entry is:

0x5656 = "Mach 64"
BrokenAlphaTest
TextureOffset

● Create an entry for your video card at the end of the ATI section as follows but replace the information below with the Device ID and Name of your video card. You can find both in the dxdiag.txt file.

0x5654 = "Mach 64"
NoCopyZinVidMem

● Save the videocard.txt file
● You're done!
FOOOOORE!

Post by FOOOOORE! »

I remember having to add my latest video card to that file back in Olden Tymes, but I think that whole process has been circumvented now. Links still looks to make certain the file is there, but does it actually read the file? It's been years since I updated it with whatever card I'm using.

(I just moved that file out of the Links folder, and substituted a file with the same name, containing just an 'x', and Links started up with no complaint. So it appears to make sure the file is there, but whether it tries to read the contents I don't know.)
migolfer

Post by migolfer »

The golfer and swing gauge were running very slowly for me the last couple times I tried playing a round on Links.
This was pretty baffling as my laptop hasn't really changed since the last time it was working normally.
That's where this forum comes in handy, there are solutions/ideas for all kinds of things re. Links!
In my case it turned out to be this (thanks, Adelade)
..another example is running a laptop on a lower power mode (such as battery mode - without being plugged in)..
All I had to do was plug in my laptop, and, voila! back to normal. :cheers1:

-dh