Crashes on startup

Having hardware or software problems related to Links? Other forum members may be able to help you here.
Grim Grim

Crashes on startup

Post by Grim Grim »

Today my broadband went down for a few hours (very local problem). I know it shouldn't have any impact on Links, but after it was reinstated, Links 2003 (download version) would crash after the loading screen that identifies my graphics acceleration device as nVidia Gforce GTX 750 ti. Clicking on the "Restart Links" button gives the same result. This happens on both the Windows 7 32 bit and 64 bit systems on my PC. I concentrated on the 32 bit and tried to reinstall everything over the existing files. That didn't work, so uninstalled and re-installed (big mistake as a large number of files were missing after three or for attempts to install, but I sorted that out) and got as far as creating a player before it crashed and reverted to the initial problem. My graphics card driver has not changed, and I have checked the resolution (14) in the registry files. I tried running compatibility for none, XP sp3 and Windows 7 in 32 bit and am at a loss as to what else I could try.
pmgolf

Re: Crashes on startup

Post by pmgolf »

When you had the crash a file probably got corrupted. Remove the .L2 player file for the player that you were using, the sky file being used, the course file being used, and the 2 saved game files cursave.sav, lastsave.sav. Restart Links and play a different course with a different sky selected and a different player. Worth a try.

Pete
Grim Grim

Post by Grim Grim »

Thanks pmgolf, but Links didn't crash when I was playing, it simply refused to start up after my broadband went down and was restored. On both OSs that it is installed on. A complete uninstall re-install did not correct the problem so I doubt that file corruption is at fault.
Grim Grim

Post by Grim Grim »

A new development. After re-installing on my 32 bit OS testerday and re-booting this morning, when the screen showing my 3d accelerator as NVIDIA GTX 750 ti loads I get the message box "Links has automatically selected the primary 3D display device installed on this computer, if you wish to change this in the future, go to the options menu and select graphic settings". Clicking on the "Done" button results in the same crash as it tries to load the next screen. On my 64 bit OS, there is no change. This leads me to believe that the problem lies in graphics setup.
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

These might have a small chance of working if lucky :dunno: :
-Try launching Links both with LinksLauncher.exe and LinksMMIII.exe, both As Administrator and without.
-Try check if you have custom settings for Links since before in Nvidia control panel. Maybe reset them or try different things (write down or screenshot what they were before if you want to retrieve any custom ones later)
-If otherwise completely running out of things to try - maybe DgVoodoo from this thread can be a workaround? viewtopic.php?f=9&t=12

Hope you get it sorted, do you know if there was a Windows Update happening around the same time as the incident with internet going down?
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

Oh and have you looked into adding the video card to the GraphicSettings.txt? I dont know if it has actually solved anything for anyone, I remember it did nothing for me when I did it long ago, but people somewhat often bring it up.
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
Grim Grim

Post by Grim Grim »

Thanks Adelade, I've tried launching (several times) from both LinksLauncher.exe and LinksMMIII.exe. I have no settings for Links 2003 in Nvidia control panel, both Anisotropic filtering and Antialiasing-Mode are Application Controlled, I don't know of any other settings that might influence the game. Looking further into the control panel, I see that in Adjust image settings with preview it was set to Use the advanced3D image settings, I have changed that to Let the 3D application decide, I'll see what that does after I finish the clean install that I'm in the middle of. Windows Updates are completely disabled and I've checked the video card settings in config files, and it is 14 which corresponds with my resolution of 1920 x 1080. I believe that DgVoodoo is only relevant to Intel, I'm using an AMD FX 8350 on an MSI 970 Gaming MoBo. I'll post any more info as I continue to wrestle this problem into a submission.
Grim Grim

Post by Grim Grim »

OK, another completely fresh install (I had a problem getting rid of LinksLauncher.exe after uninstalling, but sorted that), created a player and tried a lesson, so far so good. Left lesson to play game...CRASH, so I looked at the Links 2003 folder and although I had four folders backed up by Links 2003 uninst.exe (Course Data - Mops - News - Players) none of the courses had been re-installed, I copied all of the courses into the COURSES folder, and copied the other three into Links 2003 folder. Do I need all three of these? I imagine that the Players folder is essential. I shall another fresh install and add the Players (should it be all uppercase?) folder before seeing how far I get. As the Lesson ran OK until I terminated it, I am no longer looking for graphic card problems, the problem is specifically in running the game. Back ater I've cooked, eaten, imbibed and tried the next re-install.
pmgolf

Post by pmgolf »

Links re-install preparation:

3 folders:
a) in your "/Documents/" folder there is one named /Links 2003/. This is buried deep in your /User/ folder and contains, among other things, Recorded Players, Recorded Shots and Recorded games, and Course Statistics. If you want to save any of this stuff, rename the folder /Old Links 2003/. It won't get deleted.

b) in your /Program Files (x86)/ folder there is one named /Links 2003/, although in Windows 10 you're much better off if you DON'T install it in the "program files (x86)" folder. This folder has 1- All you course files (.CRZ's), 2. your player animations (PolyAni), 3- Your Club files, 4- Your Sky files, 5. Your Sound files, 6- your game .EXE files.

c) in /ProgramData/ folder there is one named /Links 2003/. The only worthwhile folder it contains is the /Players/ folder, which has player pictures, player settings (clubs, swing type, animation to be used, outfit, clubs, skill level) .PIN files, Player .IBO files. The /Courses/ folder has Course Statistics.

Before reinstalling, back up the /Links 2003/ folder "b" (just rename it /Old Links 2003/ and it won't get deleted in the re-install) and copy the old indicated sub-folder contents (1 thru 5) over the new sub-folder contents. Also back up the /ProgramData/Players/ folder somewhere else and name it "/save players/", then after re-installation, copy the contents of the folder over the contents of the new /Players/ folder.

Pete
pmgolf

Post by pmgolf »

Grim Grim wrote: July 26th, 2020, 7:57 pm OK, another completely fresh install (I had a problem getting rid of LinksLauncher.exe after uninstalling, but sorted that), created a player and tried a lesson, so far so good. Left lesson to play game...CRASH, so I looked at the Links 2003 folder and although I had four folders backed up by Links 2003 uninst.exe (Course Data - Mops - News - Players) none of the courses had been re-installed, I copied all of the courses into the COURSES folder, and copied the other three into Links 2003 folder. Do I need all three of these? I imagine that the Players folder is essential. I shall another fresh install and add the Players (should it be all uppercase?) folder before seeing how far I get. As the Lesson ran OK until I terminated it, I am no longer looking for graphic card problems, the problem is specifically in running the game. Back ater I've cooked, eaten, imbibed and tried the next re-install.
You said you weren't playing links when you had the crash, but was Links running and just not being played? The reason I persist is that you have all the signs of a corrupt file, and you DO want to fix it - am I right? When you try to start a game, Links crashes. All the other crap you're doing, reinstalls, video card settings, etc., may not be necessary. Did Links run successfully before the crash? Yes - no. Were you having any persistent problems? Yes - no. Did you apply the Links 1.07 patch? Yes - no. The Links nVidia patch? Yes - no. Do you have Windows 10? How long has Links been running successfully? What video resolution? But if you're determined that you know what's wrong, I'll leave you to it.

Pete