Crashes on startup

Having hardware or software problems related to Links? Other forum members may be able to help you here.
gator

Re: Crashes on startup

Post by gator »

Depending on how you installed Links, some of the folders Pete is mentioning may have also ended up in the VirtualStore (C:\Users\[name of your computer]\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Links 2003).

As Pete said, what you have described happening is indicative of a corrupted file (player, course, sky, sound, etc.). Remove (backup) all of those file types from the folders you find them in (possibly both Program Files (x86) and VirtualStore) and place one of each file type (player, course, sky, sound) in the appropriate folder. Preferably use files that were not in those folders at the time Links first crashed. If Links will successfully start, that would confirm that one of your files somehow became corrupted. The only way to then determine which file is corrupted is by process of elimination, replacing one file at a time back into your folders, restarting Links each time until it crashes. Then you will know which of your files became corrupted and you can delete it.
Grim Grim

Post by Grim Grim »

Once again, thanks everybody for your input and help.There is a lot evidence pointing to a corrupt file, probably one of the files backed up, but would this happen to both of my versions of Links 2003 (32 bit and 64 bit)? these are totally separate installs, albeit on the same machine. Does Links 2003 look for files on drives other than the one it is installed on? I shall take pmgolfs' advice, uninstall, rename the "Links 2003" folder buried in my User documents and re-install before trying anything else. It looks as if my best option is to completely delete all files especially the ones in VirtualStore which I was not previously aware of (thanks again Pete and gator). I'm prepared to lose my game history and start afresh just to get playing again. I also have another version of Win 7 32 bit on my PC and could try an install there to see what happens. A point to mention, when uninstalling, LinksLauncher is not removed and attempting to delete it brings up a message that it can not be deleted as it is still being used by Links 2003 (which has just been uninstalled). In case this was causing my problem I renamed it, moved it to a different folder, rebooted and deleted it. As there was no change after my last attempt, this morning I tried a different approach to see if there was some external influence affecting Links. Step one, disconnect internet. Step two disable Comodo antivirus Step three, complete uninstall and re-install (Links2K3_Down.exe, Links2K3_Players.exe and Links2K3_nvidia_win7_FINAL.exe). Started the game, OK, Created a player, OK, Went into Practice, OK (some fuzzy fonts, but I can see to that), started a game, OK, played first hole, exited game. Restored Comodo restarted Links, OK, resumed game and played another hole, OK, exited and reconnected internet. Restarted Links ...CRASH! disconnected internet and restarted Links...back to square one.
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

It sounded earlier like you may not have put the files in the correct place:
Grim Grim wrote: July 26th, 2020, 7:57 pm[...]and although I had four folders backed up by Links 2003 uninst.exe (Course Data - Mops - News - Players) none of the courses had been re-installed, I copied all of the courses into the COURSES folder, and copied the other three into Links 2003 folder.
I recommend paying especial attention to what pmgolf earlier said about the file locations for those files you backed up. Personally I have a "course.dat" file in C:\ProgramData\Links 2003\Course Data, possibly that specific file - for example - can cause issues if put in the wrong place?

You can also check this spreadsheet by Armand to see correct file locations for different systems/setups: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... edit#gid=0
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
Grim Grim

Post by Grim Grim »

Thanks adelade, my course data folder is in ProgramData\Links 20003, the only thing that I really needed to attend to was ensuring that the player files went into the PolyAni folder, for some reason, they weren't installed there by running Links2K3_Players.exe. I'd momentarily confused myself about the ProgramData and Program Files Links 2003 folders, but I allowed the install to arrange the placement of folders.
Grim Grim

Post by Grim Grim »

SORTED! :thumbup: :thumbup: With a little experimentation with a fresh install on a previously unused win 7 64 bit OS I found the solution. It had to be linked (no pun intended) to my internet connection (I solved the national problem of no internet access over this broadband network twenty years ago when it was ntl, it's now Virgin Media). So the solution...unplug my ethernet cable from my router...uninstall and reinstall... start Links (yes it does) ... Select Online..The Links Tour...Connection Settings.....untick the Use System Settings box .... change Use Default Dial Up Connection to Connect Through Lan or Cable Modem ...I also ticked Prompt me before establishing an internet connection, and set News Settings to Only When Requested. I hope that this might come in handy if anybody else has a similar problem. Strangely, after doing this to my 32 bit install, my 64 bit install worked without any changes (I made them anyway).
Once again , thanks to all who got involved with help and advice on this one :cheers1: :cheers1: :cheers1: :thumbup:
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

Just checking - Even though your crashes before were in game modes that didnt have anything to do with playing online? Also, were your crashes back then accompanied by an error message? Great that you got things working! :thumbup:
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Grim Grim

Post by Grim Grim »

Hi adelade, I wouldn't say that the crashes were in any game mode as they all happened as the screen after the one that identified my graphics card tried to load. I've never played online. There was never an error message, simply the box saying it had failed with the options to retry or exit.
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

Sorry my bad, I thought I remembered you saying one time that it crashed when loading a test/play session but I see now that you said it was when about to do one.