No sounds related to ball

Having hardware or software problems related to Links? Other forum members may be able to help you here.
Grim Grim

No sounds related to ball

Post by Grim Grim »

I play links 2003 on Win 7 32bit and Win 7 64 bit on the same computer. Options are identical on both systems, but playing 64 bit I have no sound of the ball being struck by a club or dropping in the hole, all other sounds are fine. I have tried all swing types with the same result. I've reloaded and rolled back my 64 bit realtek HD drivers to no avail. It may be a small problem, but it makes a big difference to the game. Any suggestion received with thanks.
pmgolf

Re: No sounds related to ball

Post by pmgolf »

Inside the Links game, in settings, check Sound Settings and make sure you set them Enabled.
sound.jpg
sound.jpg (47.23 KiB) Viewed 4130 times
Click on "Panning" - any sound? Are you getting sound from anything else, like playing a song?

Pete
Grim Grim

Post by Grim Grim »

Thanks for your response, and yes, I've checked that my settings are correct and I get a sound panning from left to right, I've tried loading different soundscapes which don't seem to be working either (I can live without those for now), but all ambient and crowd noises are fine it's just anything relating to the ball that's missing.
GoBucks

Post by GoBucks »

All courses?
No matter where you go, there you are.
Still Linksing

Post by Still Linksing »

There was mention of a sound issue if you install Links without applying the 1.02 patch. I know this was for online play but may be something to try if you installed the game without applying 1.02.
For all the old golf games visit:
Golf Sim Clubhouse
Andy
Site Admin

Post by Andy »

Have you got a predefined.ssf file in your Links 2003 main directory?

On my machine running Windows 10 this is C:\Program Files (x86)\Links 2003
Grim Grim

Post by Grim Grim »

Thanks for the interest guys, in answer to your replies, GoBucks, yes all courses. Andy, I downloaded the game patched to 1.07 so I imagine it is not that, and yes I have predefined.ssf in the correct directory, also an edited version and also UKtribute2.ssf, I've tried them all. What baffles me is that with an identical setup, I have no problem in Win 7 32bit. I am about to download Links 2003 (again) and reinstall to see if the problem is related to that. I suspect that the problem lies in how win 7 64bit handles my Realtek HD Audio. (I've fiddled about with that with no success so far).
Grim Grim
Grim Grim

Post by Grim Grim »

Well, would you believe it, before getting too embroiled in re-installing, I checked through the shortcut properties and was surprised to see that Windows 7 was listed in the compatibility list, and as the problem seemed to be with 64 bit only, I gave it a try. IT WORKED.
Thanks again for your input guys. I hope that this might help others if they run into the same problem :clapping: :clapping: :cheers1: :cheers1:
Andy
Site Admin

Post by Andy »

Glad you got it sorted. :thumbup: