LInks freezes @ error message

Having hardware or software problems related to Links? Other forum members may be able to help you here.
Captain Nemo

LInks freezes @ error message

Post by Captain Nemo »

I have been playing Links 2003 in Windows 10 (after lot's of tweaking per this Forum) for over a year now, Today to play along @ Colonial I figured I would try Random Custom pins. I usually just play along with all 4 rounds set @ Moderate. After making my selection and starting a new round the standard "Links has encountered an error" message showed up but was frozen on the screen. Had to use Task Manager to close Links. Now I can no longer play a New Game in Links. Quick start and all my saved incomplete games (about 20 on various courses) played OK, but New game always initiates the frozen error message, no matter which course I choose. Any ideas/help would be appreciated.
I always wanted to write something intelligent in my signature. Now that I think about it, I guess I just did! :clapping: :smile:
Still Linksing

Re: LInks freezes @ error message

Post by Still Linksing »

Something to try, go into My Documents/Saved Games and delete LASTGAME.SAV
For all the old golf games visit:
Golf Sim Clubhouse
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

Does the game crash at the exact same point as the original post described in this thread? viewtopic.php?p=4347#p4347 ? If so, check out Andy's reply there. Edit: I guess the original poster there said there was no error message and you say there is a frozen error message? I suppose in that case maybe its not the same thing...
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
Captain Nemo

Post by Captain Nemo »

Still Linksing wrote: June 13th, 2020, 3:38 am Something to try, go into My Documents/Saved Games and delete LASTGAME.SAV
Thanks but no luck. Did fix the frozen error message I can now X it out. but error still persists.
I always wanted to write something intelligent in my signature. Now that I think about it, I guess I just did! :clapping: :smile:
Captain Nemo

Post by Captain Nemo »

Looks like I am going to have to remove and reinstall Links. I think there was a fairly recent thread summarizing the procedure for Windows 10. Does any one have that link? I remember this was not available when I originally installed Links to Win 10, and it took couple of months of troubleshooting via the Links Forums to get it sorted. I would prefer to not have to go through that again. I think the thread also covered proper removal info or there was maybe another thread on removal?
Thank, in advance, Dave
Paul44

Post by Paul44 »

Try taking out a few the Player Files and or Sound files and see if this is the cause, it has been an issue for me before?
The toughest shot in golf is your next one.
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

For installing, I dont know about specifically for win 10 but possibly you might be thinking about this post? viewtopic.php?p=1506#p1506

I dont know anything about removal, but I would look into which files you want to make backups of, and potentially paste into your new Links later. File locations compilation by Armand:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... edit#gid=0
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
pmgolf

Post by pmgolf »

Captain Nemo wrote: July 1st, 2020, 5:20 pm Looks like I am going to have to remove and reinstall Links. I think there was a fairly recent thread summarizing the procedure for Windows 10. Does any one have that link? I remember this was not available when I originally installed Links to Win 10, and it took couple of months of troubleshooting via the Links Forums to get it sorted. I would prefer to not have to go through that again. I think the thread also covered proper removal info or there was maybe another thread on removal?
Thank, in advance, Dave
Before you rush off and reinstall Links, why don't you listen to the advice you asked for here? :dunno: :wallbash:

You probably have a corrupted file. Usually a .pin file or, as somebody mentioned, a lastgame.sav file. If you KNOW what player you were using, take out their .PIN file from your \ProgramData\Players\ folder. Remove the course you used from the \Courses\ folder - try loading a different course. Turn sounds off. Start a round and use a different player and course.

Pete
GoBucks

Post by GoBucks »

Captain Nemo wrote: July 1st, 2020, 5:20 pm Looks like I am going to have to remove and reinstall Links. I think there was a fairly recent thread summarizing the procedure for Windows 10. Does any one have that link? I remember this was not available when I originally installed Links to Win 10, and it took couple of months of troubleshooting via the Links Forums to get it sorted. I would prefer to not have to go through that again. I think the thread also covered proper removal info or there was maybe another thread on removal?
Thank, in advance, Dave
viewtopic.php?p=1506#p1506
Same link as the one Adelade mentioned. Works for me.
No matter where you go, there you are.
Captain Nemo

Post by Captain Nemo »

Thanks all for your input. Pete: special thanks for summarizing key issues to look at. Unfortunately, all to no avail. Seems to me the file that handles Custom Pins was corrupted when I edited it and it is somehow affiliated automatically with the "Play Golf/New Round" selection process and causes a crash after "selecting" a course and "continuing". If any one knows if the Custom Pins file can be found and deleted then somehow replaced with a functioning copy that could be helpful.
In the Interim I do not plan to reinstall Links 2003, as in reviewing the functioning features I find (with a few limitations) I can do most of the things that want to. "Quick Start" lets me select a course, create my "Usual Suspects" foursome, and play along with the PGA Tour Tournaments, but does not have a custom pins feature, so not totally a true day to day competitive challenge against the Pros. "Play Golf" features (except "New Round" ) are functioning correctly. Career and Options are also functioning as expected.
Shout out to Sage for his rendition of Detroit Golf Club. Enjoyed yesterday's round with my regular Ani-Buddies Larry the Lagger, Bob the Basher and Glen Miserly. As of yesterday I was leading and the rest were in the Top 20. Just getting ready to start today's round. :cheers1: