Links 2003 launch problems

Having hardware or software problems related to Links? Other forum members may be able to help you here.
Still Linksing

Re: Links 2003 launch problems

Post by Still Linksing »

viz wrote: June 15th, 2020, 1:57 am Just so I'm clear - am I uninstalling the Windows driver updates or visual C+?
There isn't enough info to really be in any way certain Win 10 updates are the cause. The other OP said he was formatting and hasn't posted again. After a format he may be able to determine where the problem was. If it's a recent Win 10 update that caused you both the problem, likely someone else will soon come here with the same issue.

You can try and uninstall any recent Win 10 updates and see if Links runs. In a case like a failure of a game or program to not launch so many different things could be the cause. :dunno:
For all the old golf games visit:
Golf Sim Clubhouse
Still Linksing

Post by Still Linksing »

pmgolf wrote: June 15th, 2020, 2:19 am They're Windows 10 updates. Microsoft has been screwing them up for years and years (and years).
In the past they screwed up your PC by accident. Now with Win 10 they do it deliberately so you can't run old software! :nono: :laugh:
Golf Sim Clubhouse
viz

Post by viz »

When I go to uninstall, the only Windows update was installed in February; I did not start having the launch problem until a week ago; I don't see any recent Windows updates.
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

Call me old-fashioned but I have a Windows 10 laptop and kept my old Windows 7 for Links-.
Still Linksing

Post by Still Linksing »

Jimbo wrote: June 15th, 2020, 5:32 am Call me old-fashioned but I have a Windows 10 laptop and kept my old Windows 7 for Links-.
Keeping old PC's is almost mandatory if you use old games. I do the same. Links 2003 works great for me on Win 10 but I also play Links 2000/PGA 2000 and both of those don't work on Win 10.
Golf Sim Clubhouse
pmgolf

Post by pmgolf »

viz wrote: June 15th, 2020, 4:55 am When I go to uninstall, the only Windows update was installed in February; I did not start having the launch problem until a week ago; I don't see any recent Windows updates.
You're on the right track (IMO). Before you reinstall Windows 10 you should (#1) give great consideration to what you have installed or changed in the past week. Think hard - the answer may be right there!

For me, when I had my troubles, it was an X-Box controller. I installed one to play some game (not Links). Links didn't like that and stopped working. In your case there is a REAL good chance that you have a corrupted Links file.

Turn Links Sounds off - completely! Try Links.

Empty your Sky folder except for one sky file that you have never used. Try Links.

Empty the PolyAni folder except for 1 unused animation. Try Links.

Rename your /Courses/ folder (/Old Courses/) and then create a new, empty /Courses/ folder - add 1 course that you have never played. Try Links.

Empty your This PC\Documents\Links 2003\Saved Games folder (find "This PC" in Windows Explorer (Windows key + E). Try Links.

Put everything back. That's all I can think of. Good luck!

Pete
GoBucks

Post by GoBucks »

viz wrote: June 15th, 2020, 4:55 am When I go to uninstall, the only Windows update was installed in February; I did not start having the launch problem until a week ago; I don't see any recent Windows updates.
That's odd. I have no fewer than 10 updates in that same time frame, including 2 on 6/9.
No matter where you go, there you are.
angstfree

Post by angstfree »

Another thing I'm doing now that seems to work very well (my comment above worked for a while :pcwhack: ) is right click on Links icon and select "Trouble shooting compatibility" then "try recommended settings". For 3 months it's worked every time.
Larrycleve

Post by Larrycleve »

I had the exact same problem after the latest Win 10 update. It screwed up several other programs. After over a week of playing around with settings that didn't work I got it fixed.

I was using the DG Voodoo fix with the dlls from the x84 folder. I removed those and just put in the single dll from the x64 folder and now it works.