I don't know what happened

Having hardware or software problems related to Links? Other forum members may be able to help you here.
Larrycleve

Re: I don't know what happened

Post by Larrycleve »

Direct play is ticked. I was able to download iso's for the cd's from this site- https://www.old-games.com/download/6857/links-2003. I burned to cd's and installed, added all patches, dgvoodoo dll's etc. Still not working. I installed with Norton anti virus uninstalled with no luck. I removed the .pin file.

It seems like something is blocking it when it tries to start.
Attachments
box.jpg
box.jpg (47.27 KiB) Viewed 4352 times
Still Linksing

Post by Still Linksing »

What happens with the black screen? Does it just close and disappear or does it just hang/stay like that? If it just disappears, is it instant or take a while?
For all the old golf games visit:
Golf Sim Clubhouse
Daniel

Post by Daniel »

Might sound silly this but take the tick out of Directplay and reboot your PC then go back in and re-tick the Directplay and reboot again and see if it clears it up.Other than that try a different graphics card.
Larrycleve

Post by Larrycleve »

The black box just stays. I have to go to task manager to get rid of it. It says Links 2003 not responding. I tried starting the game in safe mode and the same hanging black box. Here's a speccy report. Maybe something will jump out.- http://speccy.piriform.com/results/DmqJ ... JDda58bfef
Still Linksing

Post by Still Linksing »

Larrycleve wrote: June 8th, 2020, 1:11 pm The black box just stays. I have to go to task manager to get rid of it. It says Links 2003 not responding. I tried starting the game in safe mode and the same hanging black box. Here's a speccy report. Maybe something will jump out.- http://speccy.piriform.com/results/DmqJ ... JDda58bfef
All I could see from a quick scan of the report is that your system should run Links great! :dunno: :laugh:
If you installed any new programs since Links last worked may be a possible cause.
Next thing you should try is going to task manager, close non essential running processes and then try to start Links.
Golf Sim Clubhouse
Larrycleve

Post by Larrycleve »

I went through task manager and ended processes for several items. I don't remember installing any new programs. I did uninstall two programs I don't use anymore -System Mechanic and Realtek player. I uninstalled Norton Security to see if that was causing the issue.

Out of curiosity I uninstalled again and reinstalled in safe mode. All patches and DGVoodoo dll's were added in safe mode. Again no change. I thought safe mode would eliminate any outside influences. I wonder if this is due to some virus. I tried scanning with Malwarebytes and Webroot and they didn't find anything.

The next step would be backing everything up and formatting the C drive and reinstalling Windows. If that doesn't work then I'm out of ideas.
Danny D

Post by Danny D »

Larrycleve wrote: June 9th, 2020, 3:49 am I went through task manager and ended processes for several items. I don't remember installing any new programs. I did uninstall two programs I don't use anymore -System Mechanic and Realtek player. I uninstalled Norton Security to see if that was causing the issue.

Out of curiosity I uninstalled again and reinstalled in safe mode. All patches and DGVoodoo dll's were added in safe mode. Again no change. I thought safe mode would eliminate any outside influences. I wonder if this is due to some virus. I tried scanning with Malwarebytes and Webroot and they didn't find anything.

The next step would be backing everything up and formatting the C drive and reinstalling Windows. If that doesn't work then I'm out of ideas.
I could have swore I already made this post, but since I can't find it, I must have reviewed it, and forgot to press the SUBMIT button.... AGAIN... :wallbash:

Anyway, I was just wondering if perhaps your firewall might have somehow started blocking Links. Have you looked at your firewall settings to see if that might be the case? Just making a wild guess here. :dunno:
Last edited by Danny D on June 9th, 2020, 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
Fictitious Courses: Northern Lakes - Golfcom Tees
Southern Oaks - Hometown 9 hole real course with a fictitious back 9 added
Daniel

Post by Daniel »

You say you uninstalled Norton but did you use Nortons uninstall Tool or just a normal uninstall.Norton is very hard to remove from a PC you need to go to the Norton Website and get their removal tool I bet you ten Dollars it is Norton that is causing the problem.You will have some part of Norton causing your problem.
Andy
Site Admin

Post by Andy »

Has removing Realtek Player messed up your sound settings or drivers?
Still Linksing

Post by Still Linksing »

Larrycleve wrote: June 9th, 2020, 3:49 amThe next step would be backing everything up and formatting the C drive and reinstalling Windows. If that doesn't work then I'm out of ideas.
If you are prepared to format that absolutely should work. However, if you backup your entire system, format and simply reinstall the full system backup again then you will likely have the same problem. If you format, I would suggest install Links first, then as you add a few programs or update Win 10 keep checking back to make sure Links still opens at various points. You may eventually come across the problem program or a problem Win 10 update.

Sometimes it's also possible Windows just screws something up. This might be the case in your situation and another program has nothing to do with the issue. Regardless, a format should get you back up and running.

I haven't checked properly but I think it looked like you have had Windows update your graphics drivers. I know you also said somewhere you reinstalled them. Thing to watch with drivers is to install them from the official downloads on Nvidia's site. Letting Windows install these drivers through an update I know has lead to quite a few problems for people in different games.
Golf Sim Clubhouse