I don't know what happened

Having hardware or software problems related to Links? Other forum members may be able to help you here.
Larrycleve

I don't know what happened

Post by Larrycleve »

But Links 2003 won't start any more. About a week ago when I tried to start it in the morning just a black box appeared with the spinning wheel. This is with Windows 10.

I've tried everything from reinstalling numerous times from the download file with all the patches to trying all the compatibility combinations. I downloaded the install file again in case it was corrupted. I've tried to install to different drives and with the anti virus turned off. I added the DGVoodoo ddl's and tried different restore points with no luck. I even restored from a backup I did in December when it did work with no results.

I'm totally baffled as everything else is working. Any suggestions?
Still Linksing

Re: I don't know what happened

Post by Still Linksing »

Check the link below. If the problem is a USB device Links will shut very quickly after launching it. If it is hanging for a while it's likely something else.

https://linkscorner.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13
For all the old golf games visit:
Golf Sim Clubhouse
Larrycleve

Post by Larrycleve »

I did see that article and unplugged everything except mouse and keyboard and still no results.
Larrycleve

Post by Larrycleve »

I tried creating a new user account in case the current one was corrupt. Still didn't work.
Still Linksing

Post by Still Linksing »

When launching, don't use a shortcut. Go to the Links main folder and try clicking directly on LinksMMIII.exe and LinksLauncher.exe.
You can also right click on these files and then select to Run as Administrator.
If you have any specific graphics card settings set for Links 2003 set them to default.

See if any of the above makes a difference. Do you know if Win 10 ran any auto updates from the last time Links worked?
Do you have a CD Burner?
Golf Sim Clubhouse
Larrycleve

Post by Larrycleve »

I did try running it from the folder. I uninstalled an update from 5/16 and Adobe Acrobat Reader from 6/3. I have an Nvidia gtx 1080 and tried various drivers back to 2018. All with no results. I do have a cd burner. I do have the original cd's but can't find them. I bought some new ones from Ebay and they'll arrive Thursday. I'll try them and see what happens.
Still Linksing

Post by Still Linksing »

Appears you tried all the typical checks. Some users have reported problems with the download version of the game. It's possible Win 10 updates changed things on your system to now make you one of the users who has issues with the download version. I know it doesn't take much to upset Links and just a new hardware driver can kill it for example.
If the eBay discs don't work for whatever reason (eg scratched) post back here. Hopefully the CD version of the game will resolve the issue. Just make sure you don't install to Program Files.
Golf Sim Clubhouse
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

Sounds tricky, I dont think I have any ideas right now if you've tried the usual patches already. It used to work fine on the same system until one day suddenly? Are you able to post a screenshot of the "black box with spinning wheel"?
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
Andy
Site Admin

Post by Andy »

Have you tried removing or renaming the .pin file for the player you were using the last time Links was working? :bookh: :dunno:
Daniel

Post by Daniel »

Have you made sure Direct play is ticked in the Programs and features.
pic1.png
pic1.png (43.54 KiB) Viewed 5243 times
pic2.png
pic2.png (24.09 KiB) Viewed 5243 times