I don't know what happened

Having hardware or software problems related to Links? Other forum members may be able to help you here.
GoBucks

Re: I don't know what happened

Post by GoBucks »

Andy wrote: June 7th, 2020, 8:07 am Have you tried removing or renaming the .pin file for the player you were using the last time Links was working? :bookh: :dunno:
Did you ever try this?
No matter where you go, there you are.
Larrycleve

Post by Larrycleve »

I did try that. I even deleted the entire players folder and let it be recreated. You're right I didn't use the Norton removal tool. I used Revo uninstaller. I'll try that. I ran Bitdefender free scan and it found 3 trojans which were deleted. Still not working.
Larrycleve

Post by Larrycleve »

I'm taking a deep breath and getting ready to reinstall Windows from scratch. It really shouldn't be a big deal as most of the installed programs are things I haven't used in years. I'm getting paranoid. I know logically it should work but what if it doesn't?
Still Linksing

Post by Still Linksing »

Larrycleve wrote: June 9th, 2020, 9:47 pm I know logically it should work but what if it doesn't?
If it worked on that system before, it will work on it again. Just keep opening Links as you install Windows updates and other programs to see if anything upsets it.

People will tell you differently and I see you had a bunch of them...but my advice is to not install system tools. Not even Norton is required any longer. The built-in Windows anti virus and firewall are sufficient. If anything will screw up your system, it's these types of programs. They will also tell you lots of lies and make you paranoid! :scared: :laugh:

Make sure to post back how you go. Good luck! :thumbup:
For all the old golf games visit:
Golf Sim Clubhouse
Daniel

Post by Daniel »

I also use Revo uninstaller which is the best out there.But Norton puts so much junk on your Computer you do need the Norton Removal tool to get rid of all that junk.Have you looked in the registry to see if you can see any Norton files in there,that should let you know that some files are still there.
Obi Wan Kenobi

Post by Obi Wan Kenobi »

Hello there!

Maybe isn't too late and you still have not formatting your drive, so here is a simple thing that with luck could help.
Do another test, uninstall your Links again and restart your PC. Right after use the search mode in REGEDIT to find and delete any key related to Links 2003. After deleting one key you just use SEARCH NEXT to jump to another and also delete it, and so till you've have checked all windows registry.
Now try to reinstall Links and run it again. Hope it helps...

Patience, use the force, think... May Microsoft be with you! :thumbup:
"Was it love, or was it the idea of being in love?
or was it the hand of fate that seemed to fit just like a glove?"
angstfree

Post by angstfree »

Look, just recently I experienced what you're going through, I think. I would click the icon on desktop to start Links and boom, crash! I knew right away that it corresponded to a new Microsoft update. I started by uninstalling my last update and :cheers1: Bingo. Maybe this will help!
Larrycleve

Post by Larrycleve »

I'm sorry it took so long to get back but you won't believe it but I got it to work! It was actually something dumb I did. I was playing around with the bios. ( I normally know not to do that if you don't know what you're doing, but something got a hold of me that day. Mea culpa.)

I noticed a button saying enable xmp which I did. There was also a dial for overclocking from 1-10. I clicked 2 figuring it was conservative and if something happened it could be reversed. Of course I forgot I did that when things started getting wonky. I made a previous post where the mouse was stuttering in links. Windows started getting weird with colors changing.

I remembered what I did when I was in bios to change the boot order to cd for the reinstall. I thought no, it can't be. Everything that was done was reversed and Links is working again.

I feel like such a putz. Thank you everyone for putting up with me, you are all great friends. :clapping:
Obi Wan Kenobi

Post by Obi Wan Kenobi »

Glad to know that! Welcome back to the greens! :naughty:
"Was it love, or was it the idea of being in love?
or was it the hand of fate that seemed to fit just like a glove?"