Links messed up by the Internet!

Having hardware or software problems related to Links? Other forum members may be able to help you here.
mickydavies

Links messed up by the Internet!

Post by mickydavies »

My internet provider kept crashing out today, so I decided to go onto Links. When I tried to log on, I got as far as the screen before Sergio pops up with the main selections and got a message that Links was trying to contact the internet - which wasn't working at the time. I can't remember the exact message but it normally just disappears after a few seconds and is very intermittent and I have seen this literally hundreds of times before with no issues. But this time it locked the program completely so I closed down and tried again and this time I got that far and the program dropped out completely back to my desktop - and kept doing that... Eventually I gave up, uninstalled Links and have just managed to reload the game again which may not have been very bright, but there you are. Anyway, after applying all the various Mods it is running again, but I am unable to set the Registry Setting for Graphics to 4 via Regedit - it keeps going back to 0 - and as a result am now running at a setting of 3 with a worse definition than I had 10 years ago! My current P/C is running Windows 10 which has never liked Links. But what can you do. Has anyone ever heard of the internet being down messing up Links permanently before, or being unable to run with a Registry setting of 4? My p/c isn't brilliant but it is better than that...
Still Linksing

Re: Links messed up by the Internet!

Post by Still Linksing »

The internet wouldn't effect Links starting. Something else went wrong on your PC. You are also likely setting the wrong registry value of 4. The registry setting should be the correct setting for your monitor resolution. If you aren't sure of your monitor resolution, give 14 a try.
For all the old golf games visit:
Golf Sim Clubhouse
Andy
Site Admin

Post by Andy »

As it comes out of the box, Links 2003 is I believe, set to try and contact the original Links server.

On the Links opening screen, click 'Connection' and the change the 'News settings' to 'Only when requested'.
I started off with nothing and I still have most of it left!
mickydavies

Post by mickydavies »

Thanks for the replies guys. I tried every one of the potential settings and 12 seems to have sorted it out. I have absolutely no idea what happened to my p/c though. And I agree that the internet connection couldn't logically have screwed up Links but can't see anything else that could have caused it to happen. Working OK now, though I have lost all my stats again. I have been playing Links 2003 since it was released and I would love to know how many rounds I have had over the years. Luckily I DO back up my saved shots so can still look back at them from time to time. Shame the pre-1.07 ones don't work half the time, but there you go. Thanks again.
Still Linksing

Post by Still Linksing »

If 12 worked means you have a 1680x1050 monitor and most likely it's a 22 inch screen.
Good to read you got it sorted. :thumbup:
For all the old golf games visit:
Golf Sim Clubhouse
mickydavies

Post by mickydavies »

It IS a 22" screen. And I changed the Connection links as suggested by Andy too. So all good. As usual it was well worthwhile coming on this site for help! Thanks again guys!