Links2003 won’t start following screen resolution problems

Having hardware or software problems related to Links? Other forum members may be able to help you here.
nigelpenn

Links2003 won’t start following screen resolution problems

Post by nigelpenn »

Has anyone had a similar problem. Links will not play on my Windows 10 laptop. On loading I get a picture message stating:

“The minimum screen resolution required by Links 800x600. The current resolution is less than this. Links will now exit

3D Acceleration by Intel(R) UHD Graphics 620”

I have a NVIDIA GeForce MX250 in an
HP. Envy 13” Laptop with a Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 processor with memory of 16GB ram with DirectX 12 with Windows 10 Home 64 bit (10.0, Build 18363.

I have updated the Intel and NVIDIA drivers and the latest are installed. I have run DxDiag.exe and no problems found.

I have tried various methods but cannot play links on my laptop. The only way I can play Links is on an Xbox. But this is very complicated sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t but using the Microsoft’s new Wireless Display to stream it to the Xbox One, but this is not mine or ideal.

I hope someone can provide a simple solution to help please.
Adelade

Re: Links2003 won’t start following screen resolution problems

Post by Adelade »

First of all, I would make sure you have the nVidia patch (and 1.07) installed, can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=10

I believe the "M" in the graphics card name indicates that its a mobile card and therefore a laptop? So Im guessing the solution to your problem is to check the first post in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=12
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
nigelpenn

Post by nigelpenn »

Thank you Adelaide. yes I have followed these instructions again as before and still end up with the same abortive message. I have a couple old Microsoft games that won't install but they just abort. At least Links gives me a reason. I have looked into the Intel graphic settings and everything is set for a higher resolution. I have tried virtually every setting.

I have been informed that it is Windows 10 as Microsoft in their infinite wisdom have decided to block certain types of DRM in Windows 10. This has caused a large number of older games to stop working and blocked the use of certain types of protected discs. My contact with Microsoft unfortunately fell on deaf ears, as they have never responded when I contacted them, one sent to their CEO.

I just hope that someone has had a similar problem and can please let me know a way around it. Thank you.
pmgolf

Post by pmgolf »

I have Windows 10 (I hate it! :rant: ) and Links runs great on it, so I don't think that is your problem. I suspect it is more because of how your graphics are being handled. Intel on-board graphics is usually the culprit. Look for DGVooDoo information in this thread:

https://linkscorner.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=12

but if you are one who gives up easily but really wants to play Links again, I would suggest you look for a used desktop PC with Windows 7 on EBay and other sites (Google), and a wireless keyboard and mouse and inexpensive widescreen monitor.

Pete
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

Hm that sucks, did you get the game to load saying "3D Acceleration by dgVoodoo DirectX Wrapper" instead as you said by Intel? If not, that would suggest theres a good chance dgVoodoo might not have been set up correctly.
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
nigelpenn

Post by nigelpenn »

No. I get the same as before. Am I doing something wrong?

I also now get this error message initially before the usual screen message!!

ERROR : FAILED (0x887700fa - DPERR_UNAVAILABLE) - InitializeConnection( Provider=MODEM Modem=‘“‘ Phone number=‘“‘)

More details... Continue Exit

I also disabled the Intel Display Adapter, but then I get a big screen no message and then it closes after flashing a few time.

i am not tech savvy, so I am afraid to disable the NVidia DA in case something goes radically wrong.
Still Linksing

Post by Still Linksing »

You needed to change your registry settings to your screen resolution.
As a side note, the DRM changes have nothing to do with your issue.
Finally, yes, Win 10 sux as pointed out by pmgolf. :thumbup: :laugh:
For all the old golf games visit:
Golf Sim Clubhouse
nigelpenn

Post by nigelpenn »

Thank you Still Linksing. I am not very technically minded I assume you mean registry editor. What section do I edit?
I would welcome your advice. Thank you
gator

Post by gator »

The question of using regedit to set your screen resolution within Links comes up frequently. I remember Armand posted a chart years ago on the old forum with all of the different settings available. I found a reference to it in a LSPN post from October 31, 2009 which is pasted below. Beneath Armand's chart are instructions on how to accomplish this in regedit which were provided by Rehit. Do not attempt to set a resolution higher than your monitor/video card can handle.

---------------------------------------------

Registry settings for specific resolutions:

15 - 1920 x 1200 (thanks, langle!)
14 - 1920 x 1080 (thank, Mick!)
13 - 1808 x 1008
12 - 1680 x 1050 *
11 - 1440 x 900
10 - 1366 x 768 **
9 - 1360 x 768 **
8 - 1280 x 960 **
7 - 1280 x 800
6 - 1280 x 768 **
5 - 1280 x 720
4 - 1600 x 1200 ***
3 - 1280 x 1024 ****
2 - 1024 x 768 ****
1 - 800 x 600 ****

* This only works on my computer in Full Screen Mode
** This only works in Windowed Mode on my computer
*** I know this value from my desktop computer
**** These are the original values from 1.05

I'm sure some can fill in 13 and 14. I believe 15 is the largest possible value.

Armand

How to change the settings as provided by Rehit:

this is a regedit, so be careful...
go to start, run, regedit.
click on the following entries

HKEY_CURRENT_USER
Software
Microsoft
Microsoft Games
LINKS 2003
Display Settings

---------------------------------------------

@Andy,

Since this comes up so often, maybe the pertinent portions of this post can be made into a sticky with appropriate credit given to the original poster(s).
Last edited by gator on May 16th, 2020, 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gator

Post by gator »

Once you have made your changes in regedit, you can verify your Links screen resolution settings by going into Links/Options and selecting the 'system info' button at the bottom of the screen. The 'Video Resolution' there should reflect the option you entered in regedit. Choosing 'Graphic Settings' in the Settings box on the same Options screen may or may not report the correct 'Display Mode' (it doesn't for me). Do not attempt to change your video resolution from here after your regedit.