APCD Installation

Having hardware or software problems related to Links? Other forum members may be able to help you here.
pmgolf

APCD Installation

Post by pmgolf »

Ina thread somewhere at LinksCorner, someone posted a .ZIP file named "APCD (stock 2001+2003 Objects).zip". I assumed it was the necessary files to install APCD 1.5 along with Stock 2001+2003 Objects, and figured that when I had to reinstall my APCD app I would use that one to get all the objects loaded together.

Well, my APCD app got a bit screwed up so I decided to uninstall and reinstall it. I uninstalled it, and extracted the "APCD (stock 2001+2003 Objects).zip" to a folder so I could install it. But there was no Setup file in the folder - just a APCD.exe file. No instructions for guidance, either. So what am I supposed to do? Install the APCD 1.5 that I already have - right? - and then what? Overlay some folder with the contents of the "APCD (stock 2001+2003 Objects).zip" contents? Does anyone know? Help, please!Thanks,

Thanks,
Pete
Danny D

Re: APCD Installation

Post by Danny D »

pmgolf wrote: March 28th, 2020, 11:42 pm Ina thread somewhere at LinksCorner, someone posted a .ZIP file named "APCD (stock 2001+2003 Objects).zip". I assumed it was the necessary files to install APCD 1.5 along with Stock 2001+2003 Objects, and figured that when I had to reinstall my APCD app I would use that one to get all the objects loaded together.

Well, my APCD app got a bit screwed up so I decided to uninstall and reinstall it. I uninstalled it, and extracted the "APCD (stock 2001+2003 Objects).zip" to a folder so I could install it. But there was no Setup file in the folder - just a APCD.exe file. No instructions for guidance, either. So what am I supposed to do? Install the APCD 1.5 that I already have - right? - and then what? Overlay some folder with the contents of the "APCD (stock 2001+2003 Objects).zip" contents? Does anyone know? Help, please!Thanks,

Thanks,
Pete
Hi Pete...
Is that the APCD I provided that contains the merged 2001 Object Library?

If so, it doesn't have to be "INSTALLED". All you need to do is create a folder and unzip the contents into it, and then create a desktop shortcut to that file named "APCD.EXE". It's just that simple. Double-click the shortcut to launch the APCD and start using it.

That zipfile contains a full installation of the APCD, and it also includes the 2001 Object Library.

Go here and read the post, and at the bottom is the download link for the APCD.
https://linkscorner.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=348

Dan
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
Fictitious Courses: Northern Lakes - Golfcom Tees
Southern Oaks - Hometown 9 hole real course with a fictitious back 9 added
pmgolf

Post by pmgolf »

I feel foolish! I read the instructions when I downloaded the file, but I forgot them! :oops: I have no excuse. No good one, anyway. Something must have stuck though, because I extracted the .ZIP file to a folder and then tried to run the apcd.exe. I didn't have confidence that I had done right, though. Thanks, Dan!

Pete
Danny D

Post by Danny D »

pmgolf wrote: March 29th, 2020, 2:46 pm I feel foolish! I read the instructions when I downloaded the file, but I forgot them! :oops: I have no excuse. No good one, anyway. Something must have stuck though, because I extracted the .ZIP file to a folder and then tried to run the apcd.exe. I didn't have confidence that I had done right, though. Thanks, Dan!

Pete
Hi Pete. Don't forget, that program works within it's own folder. No other data scattered around on your hard drive in any other folder. Because of that, you can have several copies of it on your computer and each one will work independently without interfering with the other. I highly recommend that you do NOT open any other courses in each APCD copy other than the one your designing. If you want to open other courses, then create another folder named something like "APCD Testing" and unzip the APCD into it. Doing it that way is best, because if you ever screw up the TEST APCD, you can simply delete the files and unzip the new one into it again. Most importantly, do everything possible not to screw up the one your using on your course.

Since you are pretty new at the APCD, it's important to understand something about it. Any time that you open a course in the APCD, it will extract all of the course data and leave it behind in the APCD. Data such as textures and programming. Opening multiple courses results in a mixture of textures and other programming details getting all jumbled up into one huge mess. That's when stuff starts getting corrupt and messed up. So bottom line is, devote each instance of the APCD strictly to the course you are currently designing. Use a separate instance to open other courses in to look at or play around with. Oh, and be sure to do frequent "SAVE AS" copies of your course as you work so in case you mess up your course, you can go back and load the last saved GOOD copy.

Good luck,

Dan
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
Fictitious Courses: Northern Lakes - Golfcom Tees
Southern Oaks - Hometown 9 hole real course with a fictitious back 9 added