Links 2003 courses won't load

Having hardware or software problems related to Links? Other forum members may be able to help you here.
rbgolfer

Links 2003 courses won't load

Post by rbgolfer »

I have had trouble getting courses to load that were designed by Sage Vanni. It seems to be some sort of sound issue. I have downloaded many other designers courses without any issues. Any ideas on what I can do?
Here's the error message:
ERROR : FAILED (0x8878001e - DSERR_CONTROLUNAVAIL) - CreateSoundBuffer(0xa8859d8: DSBCAPS_CTRLVOLUME | DSBCAPS_GLOBALFOCUS , (PCM 24-bit, 2 Channel, 48000Hz, 288000bps))

Links crashes every time and I end up just removing the course from Links. I really enjoy Sage Vanni's courses and would like to be able to play them once again (they worked before).
GoBucks

Re: Links 2003 courses won't load

Post by GoBucks »

Turn off all sounds and see if that fixes it.
No matter where you go, there you are.
rbgolfer

Post by rbgolfer »

Thanks! That fixed the problem, but I don't like to play without sound. Any fix on the sound problem?
Still Linksing

Post by Still Linksing »

You could play with the sound settings in Links for example turn off ambient sounds.

Totally long shot and I have no confidence it will fix anything but you could also try and apply all the patches in particular v1.02.
I remember v1.02 fixed some sound issue for online players. If you applied just v1.07 you didn't get this fix. The key to resolving the issue was to apply v1.02.
That was a totally different problem to yours but may be worth you trying v1.02.
For all the old golf games visit:
Golf Sim Clubhouse
Danny D

Post by Danny D »

rbgolfer wrote: March 3rd, 2020, 2:20 pm I have had trouble getting courses to load that were designed by Sage Vanni. It seems to be some sort of sound issue. I have downloaded many other designers courses without any issues. Any ideas on what I can do?
Here's the error message:
ERROR : FAILED (0x8878001e - DSERR_CONTROLUNAVAIL) - CreateSoundBuffer(0xa8859d8: DSBCAPS_CTRLVOLUME | DSBCAPS_GLOBALFOCUS , (PCM 24-bit, 2 Channel, 48000Hz, 288000bps))

Links crashes every time and I end up just removing the course from Links. I really enjoy Sage Vanni's courses and would like to be able to play them once again (they worked before).
Here's a wild shot in the dark. Ask Sage if he is adding sounds to his courses, like a bird loop, or other sounds files. Trying to understand why only some of his courses have a sound issue and I'm wondering if he might be using the same bird loop or sound file in many of his courses. :unsure:
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
Fictitious Courses: Northern Lakes - Golfcom Tees
Southern Oaks - Hometown 9 hole real course with a fictitious back 9 added
Paul44

Post by Paul44 »

Seeing PCM 24-bit mention in your post is your sound set for and capable of dealing PCM 24-bit sound?
The toughest shot in golf is your next one.
Still Linksing

Post by Still Linksing »

Paul44 wrote: March 4th, 2020, 11:46 am Seeing PCM 24-bit mention in your post is your sound set for and capable of dealing PCM 24-bit sound?
I thought the Hz and bps didn’t seem quite right but don’t know enough about sound on PC’s and in games to really comment without doing some homework.
Golf Sim Clubhouse
Danny D

Post by Danny D »

Still Linksing wrote: March 4th, 2020, 11:58 am
Paul44 wrote: March 4th, 2020, 11:46 am Seeing PCM 24-bit mention in your post is your sound set for and capable of dealing PCM 24-bit sound?
I thought the Hz and bps didn’t seem quite right but don’t know enough about sound on PC’s and in games to really comment without doing some homework.
Links was designed back in the day when 24 bit wasn't real popular. When you add sound events to Links, it compresses them as it loads the game. I've always been concerned when I made my own sound loops that I may end up saving it in a newer higher rate wav format with settings that Links wouldn't be able to compress properly, so I save mine at a lower 16 bit stereo and Hz rating that Links was originally comfortable with.

Was just a wild thought that something like that might be going on. Other than something of that nature, I would have no idea why only Sages course cause him to crash. :dunno:
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
Fictitious Courses: Northern Lakes - Golfcom Tees
Southern Oaks - Hometown 9 hole real course with a fictitious back 9 added
Still Linksing

Post by Still Linksing »

Danny D wrote: March 4th, 2020, 1:19 pm
Still Linksing wrote: March 4th, 2020, 11:58 am
Links was designed back in the day when 24 bit wasn't real popular. When you add sound events to Links, it compresses them as it loads the game. I've always been concerned when I made my own sound loops that I may end up saving it in a newer higher rate wav format with settings that Links wouldn't be able to compress properly, so I save mine at a lower 16 bit stereo and Hz rating that Links was originally comfortable with.

Was just a wild thought that something like that might be going on. Other than something of that nature, I would have no idea why only Sages course cause him to crash. :dunno:
This is the only report of not being able to run Sage’s sounds. I think must be something different about his sound setup.
I know some games can crash when you set audio to the highest level which I think may be 48000Hz.
I really don’t know what’s going on either, would need to do some serious googling. lol
Golf Sim Clubhouse
dick burt

Post by dick burt »

I remember back in the day of Kisstours, Jerry Garlisch always said to install updates 1.02, 1.05 & 1.07 in that order
to rectify a sound problem. :dunno:
Don't know if/when this will solve the problem. but....