new computers suck

Having hardware or software problems related to Links? Other forum members may be able to help you here.
bostonlefty

new computers suck

Post by bostonlefty »

After 15 + years of enjoying Links -computer crashed and burned

I'm back up with a new Dell Windows 10

Have got Links installed and 1.05 and 1.07 downloaded - finally got screen registration to where it should be

I can "Practice" okay - but playing a round crashes to Desktop.

Also can't get "Challenging" conditions to show up?

Patch 1.02 is showing an error message?

Any help or thoughts are appreciated
Danny D

Re: new computers suck

Post by Danny D »

bostonlefty wrote: February 21st, 2020, 2:33 am After 15 + years of enjoying Links -computer crashed and burned

I'm back up with a new Dell Windows 10

Have got Links installed and 1.05 and 1.07 downloaded - finally got screen registration to where it should be

Any help or thoughts are appreciated
1: Does your new laptop have "INTEL Integrated Graphics" (Links 2003 biggest graphics problem creator)
2: Did you install the NVIDIA Patch? (Even though it says its for Windows 7, it should still be installed with Windows 10)
3: Have you installed "dgvoodoo"? (solves most graphic issues with a Windows 10 system with Integrated Graphics).

Let us know when you get it fixed, and what worked for you...

Good luck,

Dan
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
Fictitious Courses: Northern Lakes - Golfcom Tees
Southern Oaks - Hometown 9 hole real course with a fictitious back 9 added
Still Linksing

Post by Still Linksing »

bostonlefty wrote: February 21st, 2020, 2:33 am

You won't have challenging conditions show until you install patch 1.07.
I assume you have no patches installed at this stage and have tried running 1.02 and it failed.
Ignore all the other patches and install only 1.07.
See if this works.

Are you running a laptop or desktop?
For all the old golf games visit:
Golf Sim Clubhouse
bostonlefty

Post by bostonlefty »

Thanks for the quick responses - looks like I had forgot 1.07

Now up and running correctly

Now I've managed to screw up the "Course Manager" somehow
- I can play Shadowlands that came with the game, but it's asking me to insert disc for the other courses that I had downloaded off the Links site

- The downloaded courses are showing in the Courses Listing

- it's also showing "unnamed course" in the Course Listing - which I can't delete

- I had been playing these downloaded courses last night prior to 1.07 install / although just in "Practice" or "Quick Start"

Do I want to "drag" these .crz files into the Links file?
Danny D

Post by Danny D »

bostonlefty wrote: February 21st, 2020, 3:54 pm Thanks for the quick responses - looks like I had forgot 1.07

Now up and running correctly

Now I've managed to screw up the "Course Manager" somehow
- I can play Shadowlands that came with the game, but it's asking me to insert disc for the other courses that I had downloaded off the Links site

- The downloaded courses are showing in the Courses Listing

- it's also showing "unnamed course" in the Course Listing - which I can't delete

- I had been playing these downloaded courses last night prior to 1.07 install / although just in "Practice" or "Quick Start"

Do I want to "drag" these .crz files into the Links file?
All of the ".crz" files are course files. They need to be put in the COURSES folder in your main Links2003 folder. After they have been placed in that COURSES folder, start Links2003 and from the opening menu select "OPTIONS", and then select "COURSE MANAGER". You should see all of the courses in the list. If you do see them in the list, they should be available to play when you start a game.

Hope that helps,

Dan
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
bostonlefty

Post by bostonlefty »

I'm good to go with my Dell desktop with AMD Radeon R5 Graphics. Graphics are way better than my previous computer.
All game functions working.

Regarding my "Course" problem - I had a basic thought - Restart
Believe it or not, that has solved the course access problem.

I'm still seeing 5 "unnamed courses" showing up at the end of my "Course" listings ? Maybe when I load 5 more courses those will disappear?
Anyway just a minor annoyance.

Over the years I had added many of the extras, such as Soundscripts, Custom Clubs etc. - As I computer novice (at best) - I was able to load these things, but if you asked me how years later I wouldn't remember.

Again appreciate your taking the time to supply answers

Boston Lefty (refers to my golf swing - not politics)
Still Linksing

Post by Still Linksing »

bostonlefty wrote: February 22nd, 2020, 7:15 pm I'm good to go with my Dell desktop with AMD Radeon R5 Graphics. Graphics are way better than my previous computer.

I'm still seeing 5 "unnamed courses" showing up at the end of my "Course" listings ? Maybe when I load 5 more courses those will disappear?

Over the years I had added many of the extras, such as Soundscripts, Custom Clubs etc. - As I computer novice (at best) - I was able to load these things, but if you asked me how years later I wouldn't remember.

If you go to course manager you can see which courses are unnamed. It will show the path and filename of those courses.
Try and delete them through course manager and tell me if this works.
Take note of what courses they are before you delete the unnamed courses as you may want to reinstall them.
If all goes well, when you reinstall them, they should have their correct name.
Golf Sim Clubhouse
Danny D

Post by Danny D »

Still Linksing wrote: February 23rd, 2020, 2:13 am
bostonlefty wrote: February 22nd, 2020, 7:15 pm I'm good to go with my Dell desktop with AMD Radeon R5 Graphics. Graphics are way better than my previous computer.

If you go to course manager you can see which courses are unnamed. It will show the path and filename of those courses.
Take note of what courses they are before you delete the unnamed courses as you may want to reinstall them.
Hi .... and BL... ...., you probably already know, but just in case, I'll pass something on to you that you need to be aware of...

When you are in COURSE MANAGER, you will see a list of course names. You need to understand something here. The names that you see in the list, are NOT the same exact names you might see in the COURSES folder. When a course is created, I can name the FILE NAME anything I want. Like for example, mycourse.crz. However, when I create the course, in the course PROPERTIES section of the APCD I have to give it the official name that I want to show in the COURSE MANAGER list. So the crz might be named "mycourse.crz", but the name that you see in COURSE MANAGER might be Coconut Grove CC...

BL - Since you said you see 4 "UNNAMED" courses in your course manager list, that suggests to me that you may have some perhaps beta courses, or maybe some courses that you were building with the APCD. In your COURSES folder, they may have a recognizable file name, but if they haven't been given an official name in the APCD properties box, they might show up as UNNAMED in your course manager...

Either that, or possible corrupt course files or Links files causing them to not be recognizable.

Hope that helps.

Dan
Completed Courses
Still Linksing

Post by Still Linksing »

Danny D wrote: February 23rd, 2020, 3:38 am
Still Linksing wrote: February 23rd, 2020, 2:13 am

Hi .... and BL... ...., you probably already know, but just in case, I'll pass something on to you that you need to be aware of...

When you are in COURSE MANAGER, you will see a list of course names. You need to understand something here. The names that you see in the list, are NOT the same exact names you might see in the COURSES folder. When a course is created, I can name the FILE NAME anything I want. Like for example, mycourse.crz. However, when I create the course, in the course PROPERTIES section of the APCD I have to give it the official name that I want to show in the COURSE MANAGER list. So the crz might be named "mycourse.crz", but the name that you see in COURSE MANAGER might be Coconut Grove CC...

BL - Since you said you see 4 "UNNAMED" courses in your course manager list, that suggests to me that you may have some perhaps beta courses, or maybe some courses that you were building with the APCD. In your COURSES folder, they may have a recognizable file name, but if they haven't been given an official name in the APCD properties box, they might show up as UNNAMED in your course manager...

Either that, or possible corrupt course files or Links files causing them to not be recognizable.

Hope that helps.

Dan
I'm aware of that but there is also a Links bug that can make courses with names appear as unnamed course.
I think it's unlikely he has 5 courses that all are an actual unnamed course because they are beta/not named.
If he checks the details in course manager, I think he will find they are normal courses suffering the bug.
If he can't delete those unnamed courses from course manager, I would like to know and is why I asked for this info.
Golf Sim Clubhouse
Danny D

Post by Danny D »

Still Linksing wrote: February 23rd, 2020, 5:22 am I'm aware of that but there is also a Links bug that can make courses with names appear as unnamed course.
I think it's unlikely he has 5 courses that all are an actual unnamed course because they are beta/not named.
If he checks the details in course manager, I think he will find they are normal courses suffering the bug.
If he can't delete those unnamed courses from course manager, I would like to know and is why I asked for this info.
I understand, I just wanted to throw out a warning. Not to beat a dead horse, but let me put up a scenario where it can happen. Others may want to keep this in mind when building a new course.

Lets say you build several holes, but don't really think about giving the course an official name in APCD properties.
You've completed several holes and want to take it to Links and test it out. So you make it playable and then save it, lets says as mycourse_001.crz.
Now you move it into your Links Courses folder, and load it up and look at it.
OK, you see some things you want to change, so you start up the APCD, browse to your Links Courses folder and select your new course.
You make some changes to it, and along the way you do a SAVE AS "mycourse_002.crz.
Again you make some changes, SAVE AS "mycourse_003.crz.
Now you have 3 files in your Courses folder with no official course name created in the APCD.

It does happen... I have done it myself. I created my entire first course before I even thought about naming it in the APCD properties. :whistle: :smile:
Completed Courses