New laptop advice?

Having hardware or software problems related to Links? Other forum members may be able to help you here.
Danny D

Re: New laptop advice?

Post by Danny D »

Zep wrote: March 8th, 2020, 11:07 pm I've been doing some shopping and I'm considering buying a laptop with an Intel Core i7-9700H processor with a seperate NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 4 GB video card. I don't think it has the integrated Intel graphics on the motherboard. Will that combo work without issues with Links 2003?
Looks like the integrated graphics, in your case, is in the CPU. The below text was copied from an add for your processor...

The eight-core, eight-thread Core i7-9700 Processor from Intel boasts a 3.0 GHz clock speed and a 4.7 GHz maximum boost speed. Compatible with LGA 1151 motherboard sockets, this 9th-generation Core i7 CPU has a 12MB Intel Smart Cache and supports DDR4-2666 memory as well as Intel Optane Memory. The processor also comes with an integrated Intel UHD Graphics 630 core. This R0 stepping of the Core i7-9700 includes fixes for variants 2 (Branch Target Injection) and 4 (Speculative Store Bypass) of the Spectre/Meltdown vulnerability.

Good luck,

Dan
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
Fictitious Courses: Northern Lakes - Golfcom Tees
Southern Oaks - Hometown 9 hole real course with a fictitious back 9 added
Zep

Post by Zep »

Thanks Danny D. I figured that since it has a separate graphics card that it did not have another graphics processor embedded on the motherboard. Looks like I'm wrong.

Guess I'm back to the search. I've looked at some with AMD processors, but they don't seem to be able to run The Golf Club 2019 at recommended settings. I'd like to give that golf game a try too. GC19 seems to be the successor to Links including a course architect software.
pmgolf

Post by pmgolf »

The latest AMD Processors shouldn't have a problem running it. They are Intel's competitors, and equally as powerful. Research them.

Pete
greeman

Post by greeman »

I know this thread is old, but thought some may still look before buying new laptops. I will share my experience: I purchased a new Lenovo Thinkpad E15 Gen 2 with the AMD Ryzen 4500U 6 core processor (16gb ram). This thing runs great and the graphics on Links 2003 are great. The resolution on the thinkpad screen is 1920 x 1080. I originally set the graphics (in the registery to 14 - 1920 x 1080, but the game went off the screen. Then I just went into the game settings and moved the graphic setting to 1280 x 720 (5 in the registery) and everything looks great. The graphics are more detailed than my desktop.
migolfer

Post by migolfer »

Another thing to consider if you are thinking about a new laptop: get an OLED 4k monitor!
I did this on my last upgrade and, holy #(^&@ Batman, what a difference! The picture quality
and colors are fantastic. The only trouble with this is that any other monitor/TV looks boring
and muted now, I can barely stand to look at them. (first-world problems) :tongue: :tongue:

-dh