HD resolutions

Having hardware or software problems related to Links? Other forum members may be able to help you here.
Still Linksing

Re: HD resolutions

Post by Still Linksing »

GoBucks wrote: June 18th, 2020, 12:52 amWhen 1.07 was created by Mark, there was an issue in the for links that wasn't changed but should have been. I don't remember the details, but it wasn't OS related.
I didn't think it affected the OS either but wasn't certain. I don't remember ever reading any details on what it actually changed though. Maybe they were given at some point and I might have forgotten. I never payed much attention to it as I never had the issues people needed it to fix for them.
For all the old golf games visit:
Golf Sim Clubhouse
dlynch67

Post by dlynch67 »

Danny D wrote: April 12th, 2020, 2:31 am
Andy wrote: April 11th, 2020, 4:51 pm I think you will find it's something to do with a corrupt .sky file.

Try moving blocks of them out of the C:\Program Files (x86)\Links 2003\skies folder until the problem goes.
Well done! Never heard of that sky file issue before. :clapping: Good to know...
How do you move blocks of them out of the Program Files? Do you click on some of the sky options and delete them? Please assist - thanks
Lez Marwick

Post by Lez Marwick »

dlynch67 wrote: September 1st, 2020, 5:00 am How do you move blocks of them out of the Program Files? Do you click on some of the sky options and delete them? Please assist - thanks
Use cut and paste in Windows explorer to move them out to another folder or just drag and drop them if the folder is on the same drive. If you hold shift key and click on two files it will automatically select all of the files between the two as well.

Holding Ctrl while selecting them is another way to select multiple files at the same time for moving, copying or deleting files.
my APCD designs - Ackerton Cross, Anakena Beach, Battley Peak, Elsham Woods, Fairview GC, Margaret's Bay, Masson Moor GC, Mowsbury Golf Club, The Dustin Trophy, Upham Hall Golf Club, Yarlswood Golf Club, Zeitsbergen
dlynch67

Post by dlynch67 »

Can I just delete them. There are several sky variations (ominous, sunset, etc.) listed and I would never need to use that many. Would you advise deleting them until I find the one that is causing the issue I have. Again, the sky when I play Links has the Links 2003 logo taking up part of the sky. Also, I find I can only play a couple holes until I get the error notice (in a box, saying something about 1024 resolution). I can't proceed past that point.

Any help is appreciated so I can play Links as I once did -

Thanks,
Danny D

Post by Danny D »

dlynch67 wrote: September 7th, 2020, 5:12 am Can I just delete them. There are several sky variations (ominous, sunset, etc.) listed and I would never need to use that many. Would you advise deleting them until I find the one that is causing the issue I have. Again, the sky when I play Links has the Links 2003 logo taking up part of the sky. Also, I find I can only play a couple holes until I get the error notice (in a box, saying something about 1024 resolution). I can't proceed past that point.

Any help is appreciated so I can play Links as I once did -

Thanks,
I think the easiest way to go about it would be to create a folder on your desktop and name it TEMP SKIES, and then move all of them from your game SKY folder into that temporary folder. Next, add one your favorite ones back into the games Sky folder, and then test it and see if your problem stops. If it does, add 10 more and test again. Keep adding groups of 10 at a time, testing each time until you have all the skies that you want, and then save or delete the rest. Keep track of their file names as you add each group of 10 back so you know which group the bad one is in if it shows up again.

Doing it this way will tell you on the very first test whether its a sky file problem or not. It may be another problem altogether. It would be a shame to waste the time verifying all of them and then discover its something else. So nip it in the bud as fast as possible by removing all but one sky on the first test.

Good luck,

Dan
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
Fictitious Courses: Northern Lakes - Golfcom Tees
Southern Oaks - Hometown 9 hole real course with a fictitious back 9 added